From Blake or Colvin to Elk Lake?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&A

Reaction score
How is the bushwhacking in this area? Heading east off of either of these peaks? Around the falls, is it difficult?

I'm not sure how thick things are in there, but I know you can't actually get to Elk Lake without going into Elk Lake Lodge property. I don't believe they allow you to bushwhack on there property unless you are a guest at the lodge.

Yes, notice how the trail south from Pinnacle stays on that peninsula of state land. You have to stay on the trail. No cutting allowed. I've never been there, but I suppose it's easier to stay on the trail rather than bushwhack, anyway.

The Adirondack Mountain Club's map shows several intersections of state trails with private trails. On my 1980 edition, the private trails are shown as dotted lines. If memory serves, the newer map shows a circle marking the intersection and an arrow indicating the direction the trail takes, but the trail is unshown. Whatever, you have to stay off those private trails, too. Unless you're a guest of Elk Lake Lodge* or own property along the Upper Ausable Lake, I suppose.

My 1980 edition of the High Peaks guide says that the trails around and approaching Upper Ausable Lake have been closed to the public only since the sale of the higher-elevation land to the state in 1978. Somehow it doesn't seem fair (or rational) that when even more of that land was privately owned than is now that it was more open to the public. Can any of you old timers (no disrespect by my use of that expression intended) illuminate us as to what was going on with that situation and decision?

* The last I remember, it was at least $100 a night to stay there, with a two-night minimum. If that includes meals, and you're by yourself, it may be worth it, but the bigger your party the more outrageous it seems. Or is.

Raymond said:
Yes, notice how the trail south from Pinnacle stays on that peninsula of state land. You have to stay on the trail. No cutting allowed. I've never been there, but I suppose it's easier to stay on the trail rather than bushwhack, anyway.
Especially since Floyd. That area was hit really hard. Both the ridge as well as many of those private trails. We had four chainsaws going almost steadily for 17 hours clearing that ridge and some of those trails.

My 1980 edition of the High Peaks guide says that the trails around and approaching Upper Ausable Lake have been closed to the public only since the sale of the higher-elevation land to the state in 1978. Somehow it doesn't seem fair (or rational) that when even more of that land was privately owned than is now that it was more open to the public.
You have to look at the whole package, not an individual piece. There is the sale of land, the closing of some parts, and the easements which did not exist before. Those easements gurantee access along trails.

Raymond said:
My 1980 edition of the High Peaks guide says that the trails around and approaching Upper Ausable Lake have been closed to the public only since the sale of the higher-elevation land to the state in 1978. Somehow it doesn't seem fair (or rational) that when even more of that land was privately owned than is now that it was more open to the public. Can any of you old timers (no disrespect by my use of that expression intended) illuminate us as to what was going on with that situation and decision?

A careful reading of the guidebook suggests that the private trails were always closed to the public. The 1980 guide cites the 1978 sale to notify hikers that the ridge itself is state land. But, "Hikers should be aware, however, that the lower portions of the three trails leading to the shores of the Upper Ausable Lake are closed to the public..." Not "have been closed" or "are suddenly closed."

[Well, I wrote all that without checking the 1972 guide, which says you can rent a boat from the Ausable Club and oar yourself over to the Inlet Camp trailhead up to Pinnacle. But then that edition also says you can take the Ausable Club bus to the lower lake boathouse for fifty cents. I do know that there were years of negotiations about what the club would and would not have to give up after the land sale. What had been a courtesy--public access to club trails--became a permanent easement on certain trails and the closure of others.]

Not many people used the Pinnacle Ridge trail back in the 1950s because it didn't go anywhere except the Upper Ausable Lake, from which there was no return. I believe Jim Goodwin improved the trail then as a fire-fighting route, but if you look at the 1953 map there were only three access points to the ridge, from Colvin, from the col between Blake and Colvin, and the other up Pinnacle itself. The extension to the Elk Lake-Marcy Trail was built after the land sale to give the public better access to the ridge.

I don't think the ATIS trails from the Pinnacle Ridge to the Upper Ausable Lake were ever officially open to the public. [The 1972 guide contradicts this statement.] Earlier guide books included them the way they included Elk Lake trails, for emergencies. [The 1950 guide gives very little concrete information about the ridge.] They only led down to the lake, from which point there was no way back to the Carry.

Since the trails off the Pinnacle Ridge--apart from the extension and the col between Blake and Colvin--pass directly by private camps, they are off-limits to non-members. There is also no way back to the Carry that is not private property.

Last edited:
Not to be argumentative, but here's the first paragraph from my 1980 "Guide to Adirondack Trails, High Peak Region:"

"Following the sale of higher elevation land by the Adirondack Mountain Reserve to the State of New York in 1978, all trails around and approaching the shores of the Upper Ausable Lake have been closed to the public. However, the trunk line trail from Marcy over Bartlett Ridge to the nothern [sic] end of the Lake at the Warden's Camp is still open to the public as are the trails joining it from the Range Trail from between Haystack and Basin, and from Sawteeth. The Warden's Camp also may be reached by the trail descending from between Colvin and Blake Mountains to the southern end of the Lower Ausable Lake and over the carry between the two lakes."

That first sentence, which begins with "Following the sale ..." and contains the phrase "have been closed" (my italics) are what led me to believe that the trails had previously been open to the public. If the situation hadn't changed, wouldn't the text have said "remain closed" or not even mentioned it at all? Why mention the trails being closed following the 1978 sale if it's irrelevant?

By the way, Daniel, is it your decision or some higher-up's that we can't e-mail our guesses about the Adirondack Peeks cover photos? If the idea is to limit the number of guesses, it works, because I forgot all about it until now, when I'm sure it's way too late. And I think I finally knew one this last time, too, darn it.

Raymond said:
Not to be argumentative, but ...

I edited my post yesterday when I realized I was wrong. I still don't think the ATIS trails from the Upper Lake to Pinnacle Ridge were officially "open" other than if you were hiking then and saw a trail you could take it. Those trails weren't marked on the club maps for a long time.

Back in the 1920s the club itself was open to the public. Over the years members have been forced to limit access because of break-ins and thefts. On the one hand it's a shame, but on the other hand club lands are in better shape than many other sections of the High Peaks.

Raymond said:
By the way, Daniel, is it your decision or some higher-up's that we can't e-mail our guesses about the Adirondack Peeks cover photos? If the idea is to limit the number of guesses, it works, because I forgot all about it until now, when I'm sure it's way too late. And I think I finally knew one this last time, too, darn it.

Not all the 46ers have access to e-mail, so to keep the playing field level we only accept entries by land mail. Since some people get their copies before others, we impose a specific time limit, in this case June 1 to June 30. If you can get your entry postmarked by June 30th, you will be in the contest.

Daniel Eagan said:
Not all the 46ers have access to e-mail, so to keep the playing field level we only accept entries by land mail. Since some people get their copies before others, we impose a specific time limit, in this case June 1 to June 30. If you can get your entry postmarked by June 30th, you will be in the contest.
The trouble is I get my copy *way* before the opening date. Then I forget to mail it in later. It doesn't make sense to me to be too early to respond, as long as you are not looking for the first 'N' responders. Nor does restricting email make any sense either, but it's the 46Rs! :D