Garcia vs BearVault; which is better?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Up to now I've rented bear canisters, but now I am ready to buy. I've only used the Garcia's. Has anyone compared BearVault canisters to Garcia's?? I can a Garcia from the company I've rented from for $59.

http://www.lowergear.com/product.php?id=160

But, I've read that BearVaults are lighter and have a larger capacity, and require no tools. I can buy one at my local EMS for $70.

I'm going to purchase within the next couple of days for my trip to Nova Scotia next weekend.

Thanks,
Sabrina

BeariKades

The Bearikades are very cool indeed, I like the dimensions of the expedition, and the cable attached to the lid, very functional for backpacking. But I have serious stickershock! OY! Wow! That's ALOT of money for a bear canister.
Thanks for your tips, I think I'll go with the BearVault 300.

Sabrina

I just bought a Bearvault 300, won't get to try it out until the week after next. I like that it's see-through and you don't need any tools. It did take me 15 minutes to get it open the first time, so I guess I'm only a bit smarter than the average bear.

I also have the BearVault and used it for the first time last month in California. Worked great (more for keeping the marauding marmots out... we didn't actually see any bears.) I picked the BearVault over the Garcia purely for weight reasons.

- Ivy

bobmak said:
Has anyone used an ursack ? I have been thinking of going this route for cost and weight.

Yup, I use an Ursack when backpacking in the northeast. Honestly, I bought it because I was perpetually worried about mice getting the regular stuff sacks while sleeping in shelters along the AT. It has worked well keeping the critters out of my food bag and letting me get some sleep instead of worrying.

I can't attest to whether it keeps bears out -- I've never had a bear go after my food bag.

Are Ursacks available again? I had heard they were out of production because the company couldn't get its hands on the material anymore (as it was being sent for use by the military instead.)

- Ivy

bobmak said:
Has anyone used an ursack ? I have been thinking of going this route for cost and weight.

A friend of mine had his Ursack get beaten by Ursus Adirondackius up in the High Peaks. He's pretty sure that the bear simply took the bottom in it's mouth and got a claw into the stitching. He says that it looked like it was taken apart very carefully, not just shredded. Others' mileage may vary, and I imagine Ursacks are fine for keeping out little critters.

I have the smaller, 3/4-size Bear Vault and so far I've just used it for a couple of one-nighters. It fits inside my pack nicely. It is a little tricky to open the first time or two, but it's easy once you get the hang of it. It's kind of like a big pill bottle lid-you just have to push the little tab in and past the thing it catches on, then simply screw the lid off. I figure the bears will probably figure out how to do this within 4 or 5 years. :rolleyes:

Matt

I just bought and used a bearvault 300 for the first time in the adk's last week.
A bear never came near it, as it was in the same exact location when I returned in the evening.
So I don't know how it will hold out yet.
I do know this,
I was informed by Boreal Chickadee, that when screwing the lid back on, make sure that the lid does not ride over the tab on the cannister.
This happened to me the first time and I thought that I broke the tab right off.
Come to find out later, that the canister top does not stay in a perfect circle.
So you must be carefull when screwing the lid down.
Kind of like screwing in a light bulb. ( if it does'nt want to go you're probably doing it wrong ).
Look at the tab on the cannister while your putting the lid on and make sure it does'nt ride over it.
Kinda sounds like a hassle .
I know it is lighter and easier to load than some other models i'v seen.

But what do I know.

bobmak said:
Haven't used one myself, but clearly a bear could jump on it and chew it up. It might not actually get your food, but I'm not sure I would want to eat it afterwards. If I got one, it would be for rodent protection in non-bear areas/times.

Doug

bobmak said:
Ursacks are not approved bear proof containers, so they would not meet the requirements where specified.

Tony

I have had a Garcia for several years and I know that it works. It has the teeth marks on it to prove it. I haven't used the Bearvault so I can't speak to its ability like I can about the Garcia. Also, I am not sure what "tool" is being refered to. The Garcia is opened and closed with just about any size coin.

Keith

Last edited:
A nice thing about the bearvault is that a pot will fit inside the opening, which is not the case with a garcia. As was noted, the ursacks are nice for small critters, but are not approved by the bear regulating authorities.

AMF said:
A nice thing about the bearvault is that a pot will fit inside the opening, which is not the case with a garcia. As was noted, the ursacks are nice for small critters, but are not approved by the bear regulating authorities.

That is a really neat benefit! OK, thanks everyone who offered their opinions; I think I'll go with the BearVault 300!

Sabrina

bobmak said:

Except for the ADK Eastern High Peaks area and a trip to Alaska, I've been using an Ursack year round for the last few years. I've never had a problem, and it's been tied to trees in the Catskills, Whites, Maine, other ADK areas, Pa, and all over the AT. For places that require canisters, I took out a 2nd mortgage and bought a bearikade.

p.s. I do believe that the Ursack is available once again.

Last edited:
Most people here seem to prefer the Bearvault over the Garcia. So, why is it everywhere I've seen that rents cannisters rents the Garcia, is it the cost?

-Shayne

spaddock said:
Most people here seem to prefer the Bearvault over the Garcia. So, why is it everywhere I've seen that rents cannisters rents the Garcia, is it the cost?
IIRC, the Garcia canisters have been available longer than the Bearvaults. Perhaps they just had them in stock.

To complicate matters, there have been several models over time (and concurrently too).

Doug

Stev-o said:
The box my bearvault came in says grizzly approved, so I would assume so.

Of course it says "Grizzly approved". They can crack em like eggshells so of course they approve.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) :D

I think I know what they mean but they could have phrased that better. :D

Keith