Gathering 9.0 ????

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Avatar-Keaton (4) & Dad enjoying the snow on Wachu
2006 is really looking like it could be a great year for some trips for me and my wife is pressuring me for my summer plans so she can fit in socccer, swimming functions, parties, BBQs and the like....

I mentioned to her about the ADKHighPeaksForum Gathering on the Middle of July and as well as my desire to backpack the Northville Placid Trail again, but one of the things I really want to attend is a VFTT summer gathering (Which would naturally, take precedence over anything else I do this summer.... Naturally).

I did a search for Gathering 9.0 and haven't seen anything... Has there been any discussion or planning on when or where - Will it be Adirondacks at Peak_bgr's this year, or a different state? Has anybody volunteered yet?

(Pssst..... anybody wanna come to PA? :) )

Thanks in advance for any information

Rick

No talk about it yet. Teejay has planned the past 2 Sept Gatherings and I am not sure if he is doing the planning again this year. If noone wants to take it on, I might be willing to plan it . . . Teejay, what do you think?

As far as dates, it is likely to be Sept 15-17 . . .
Spencer's BBQ is usually the 3 rd weekend in August.

sli74

I will, I think the only time I've hiked in PA was crossing the Lackawanna Cutoff and then hiking down to the pedestrian bridge to get back to Jersey and the Paulinskill RT..

:)

Jay

I'll start stumpin' for NH early. Come on y'all, New Hampshire is the best! We got everything. Besides, I think we're do fer another Gathering. Might I suggest Barnes Field as a location? It's hard to beat for conveniece to great hikin'! I almost sort of guarantee no rain!! :D

This has been an unpaid advertisement by "New Hampshire for Gathering 9.0". The opinions expressed in this announcement do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this Bulletein Board System.

Actually, SherpaK was talking about having the summer gathering to end all summer Gatherings at his cabin in Oxford Maine (near NH border) the last weekend of July....

I said a while ago that I would be willing to organize Gathering 9.0 and I'm still willing to do it. If anyone else wants to do it, that's fine, too.

Seema has the likely dates right. The summer Gatherings have always been close to Darren's birthday, the 20th, but that's on a Wednesday this year. The real advantage of having it about this time is that the crowds are way down after Labor Day. Of course, there's no reason it couldn't be the next weekend since it's just as close to Big D's b'day.

Location: Dry sounds good, Carmel. I had been thinking far eastern NY/western MA (Taconics, Berkshires) and now there have been a couple of suggestions for PA (Poconos or further west in the Alleghanies). Then there's northern NJ. And, of course, NH will always be popular. Any more ideas?

teejay

I am absolutely open to anything anywhere, since I will be making all my summer plans around the Gathering, because I really, really want to get to a summer gathering. (Though it was in the 60's for an evening at the winter 7.5).
I threw PA out, jokingly, since we don't have many big mountains in Eastern PA. :D

We haven't had a Gathering in VT in a long time. At least I don't remember having one there... :confused:

My only thought is that if Spencer rogers up to having another summerblast in NY in August, then maybe the Sept 9.0 should be somewhere other than NY.

10.0 - August 2007 - Canadian Rockies :)

- darren

There was the winter gathering there in VT..

The berkshires is a new place to go, you've got the AT there, and Monument Valley, October Mtn... Interesting trips to nice towns like Stockbridge and the Norman Rockwell museum for possibly non hikers. The MA highpoint is there (Greylock) and there are lots of good road riding opportunity in western Mass, one could ride up Greylock, etc, there's a railtrail on the eastern slop of Greylock.

BashBish Falls, etc..

Jay

Go for it Teejay . . .

I vote for either NH or Western MA . . .
We have had recent Gatherings in NY, VT and ME so NH and Western MA are due for a Gathering. PA would be a bit far away for most but Rick . . . maybe someday.

sli74

Jay H said:
There was the winter gathering there in VT..

The berkshires is a new place to go, you've got the AT there, and Monument Valley, October Mtn... Interesting trips to nice towns like Stockbridge and the Norman Rockwell museum for possibly non hikers. The MA highpoint is there (Greylock) and there are lots of good road riding opportunity in western Mass, one could ride up Greylock, etc, there's a railtrail on the eastern slop of Greylock.

BashBish Falls, etc..

Jay

Wow Jay, you are selling me on the MA thing :)
the home state :)

sli74

I think Vermont or Western MAss would be great. My wife and little one (when he isn't hiking) can spend a couple of days checking out small towns and Yankee Candle Factory.

sli74 said:
Go for it Teejay . . .
....PA would be a bit far away for most but Rick . . . maybe someday.
sli74
Hey!!! a guy can dream, can't he?????? :)

darren said:
We haven't had a Gathering in VT in a long time. At least I don't remember having one there... :confused:
We had one at that campground north of Pico, where the AT branches off from the Long Trail. It was #3 I think. I hiked Killington with a group from the backside.

-dave-

Sli74 said:
Wow Jay, you are selling me on the MA thing
the home state

I don't even live there! (Waiting for the check from the Mass Dept of Tourism :) ).

If we do, I will bring my bike and ride up Greylock once and for all... But this time i'll bring my road bike rather than my mtb...

Jay