Gaz stoves & lanterns - fuel

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobmak

Reaction score
I have been a long time of a Gaz stove and lantern. Both have proven to be pretty indestructable and have lots of use in all 4 seasons. I have been having trouble finding fuel; REI just discontinued it last month. I wrote to Coleman (now parent company of Gaz) and received the following reply which I thought I would share with the community:

The sales person at REI is correct. A few years ago the Camping Gaz product line was dropped from the United States market due to lack of sales . As this line has been discontinued the fuel cartridges are not readily available at the retail level. However, we still have some fuel available stateside and it can be ordered factory direct by the case. Camping Gaz fuel cartridge, CV470 (450 gram), part #39314, can be obtained by the case (quantity of 12) factory direct. Each case retails for $83.88 ($6.99 per cartridge), and will incur a HAZMAT shipping fee of $35.95.

You can order the fuel from Coleman by either calling our Toll Free number, 1-800-835-3278, and charging it to a Visa, Master Card, American Express or Discover or by sending a letter, along with a check or money order to:

Coleman Consumer Service
1892 Paysphere Circle
Chicago, IL 60674

If you enclose a check with your order, please write your driver's license number, date of birth and a daytime phone number on it. If this information is not included, your order and check will be returned to you.

I recently found an old Gaz butane stove hiding in the basement. It has a 4" high gas cylinder. The only others (non-Gaz) replacement tanks at EMS or Campmor are 2". Will those work, or will I blow myself up if I use the smaller one?

Reason I ask is that the Gaz stove has a metal clamp to secure the 4" tank in place under the burner. It's obviously 2" too long and will not accomodate the 2" tanks per original design.

Let's get real clear here on Gaz cylinders.

The early version had to be punctured by the stove valve and was thus left on until empty. The newer version has a click-on/off valve that allows removal of a partially full canister. Neither version is interchangeable with the other, or with any other brand of canister. The Zen Stoves web site asserts that the "multi mount on the MSR SuperFly should work with this [latter] canister design (while retaining its ability to use threaded canisters)." However, I can't vouch for that and I wouldn't attempt it, personally.

You can see details on this on the Zen Stoves page for Canister Types.

I recently found an old Gaz butane stove hiding in the basement. It has a 4" high gas cylinder. The only others (non-Gaz) replacement tanks at EMS or Campmor are 2". Will those work, or will I blow myself up if I use the smaller one?

Reason I ask is that the Gaz stove has a metal clamp to secure the 4" tank in place under the burner. It's obviously 2" too long and will not accomodate the 2" tanks per original design.

You have the older style stove that punctures the canister and holds the canister in place with those clamps. The new Gaz canisters (available in both 2" and 4" versions) will not work with it.

NEWS FLASH: Kittery Trading Post in Kittery, Maine http://www.ktp.com has the 4" pierceable canisters (CV206) in good supply. They get them all the time and are a little cranked at Coleman for telling people the canisters are no longer available.

Last edited: