Gettin' Castellated on the Northern Presi's 10/23/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PETCH

Reaction score
Date: October 23, 2011
Peaks/Trails: Mt Jefferson and Mt Adams via Castle Trail, Gulfside, Lowes Path, Spur Trail, Short line, Airline trails
Trail Conditions: Israel River crossing was running high, but we all made it across on the rocks. All trails below treeline were damp or muddy. No significant blowdowns that I can remember. Above treeline was a couple inches of snow on the rocks (shaken, not stirred). No icing noticed. None of us wore traction. Poles helpful for water crossing, and for staying upright when feeling faint.
Cast of Characters: Jorge, Kate, Shawn, John, CrazyBob, Keith, Ken, Jim, Dana, Myron, and me

Commentary
The Castle Trail over the Castellated Ridge has been high on my bucket list for a couple years now. I have read about it, seen it from Rt2 and the Caps Ridge trail.....We have been trying to save it for a clear day. The forecast for Sunday: Clear!!. Unfortunately, the clouds never rose high enough or dropped low enough to give us any views above treeline.........
This was a sort of last minute throw together hike, but a gang of 11 started off on the Castle Trail at 8:45 on route to Mt Jefferson. The Israel river crossing was a little dicey, but we were all able to rock hop across, with just minor wetness. The Castle trail starts off fairly tame, and then sucks the life out of you as it steepens quite insanely for a good stint. This is where we lost our first hiker, Myron, who was battling a cold. The gang of 10 continued on.....After a decent amount of gain, the trail does level off for a bit allowing everyone to take a breather. As we ascended towards treeline, it started raining. Actually, that's not correct. Snow started melting from the trees making it look/feel like rain. We were all hoping the clouds would burn off. As we broke through the trees, we witnessed a milky view of the first Castle.

The first Castle
SAM_1864.JPG

The velvet fog
SAM_1865.JPG

Above treeline, there was a couple inches of snow on the rocks. Temps were relatively warm, so there was no icing. We all continued on without adding any traction aids. Heck, 2 guys were still in shorts! We continued our ascent through the clouds/fog over the Castles and up to Jefferson, and summited just before 1pm.

A lot of the day looked like this
SAM_1875.JPG

And this......
SAM_1878.JPG

Rime time
SAM_1877.JPG

We met Cath and Tim Seaver at the summit. We took a lunch break down by the huge cairn. Dana did what Dana does, and took out a bottle of whiskey and shot glasses! See, CrazyBob was celebrating his 21st birthday for the 25th time! So, we all did a celebratory shot. As CrazyBob says: "Hiking with us, is like 9th grade gym class" (Without the whiskey). He's referring to the level of immaturity and candor that generally riddles our conversations and behavior during hikes. We generally let loose on hikes, both physically and mentally. It's a decompression from the corporate world....... For the most part, everyone finds us entertaining. Or maybe they just feel sorry for us? I guess I prefer not to know......

More rime on a bfc near Mt Jefferson
SAM_1891.JPG

"Say cheese"
SAM_1899.JPG

Off again we continued on the Gulfside trail. Still no views into the Great Gulf........I didn't remember this section of trail having so much elevation gain on the way towards Mt Adams. The original plan was to head down from Thunderstorm junction. 6 of the group wanted to tag Mt Adams. So we discussed the downward trail plan, and split into 2 groups. Both groups had GPS's and maps. So, Jim, Keith, Ken, and Dana began the hike down while the rest of us zipped up to Mt Adams. We ran into IQuest and Marlie coming down Adams. Time for a couple quick summit shots and back down to chase the others.

Final assault on Mt Adams
SAM_1900.JPG

Heading down the Spur Trail near near Kings Ravine
SAM_1904.JPG

We stopped down at Crag Camp to check out the views down into King's Ravine. The cloud ceiling was about 2/3rds up the ravine wall. We had cell reception, and called the lead group to check on them. They were about a mile down below us and all was well. The rest of the hike down seem to take forever. I find this on most hikes- the last 1-2 miles always feels like 5.....Back down at Appalachia at 5:30pm, we regrouped for a quick adult beverage and parted ways. We saw Silverfox and friends down at the parking lot.

It was a long day with minimal views, but a good time. The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Stats: about 12 miles, 5200ft of ele gain, 8hrs 45 min

Slideshow from this trip

Petch

Last edited:
That looks awesome! I can't say much more than that. One of these days I'm going to join you and the "9th grade gym class" for another big hike.

That looks awesome! I can't say much more than that. One of these days I'm going to join you and the "9th grade gym class" for another big hike.
Thx Ryan. Keep your dance card open!

Great report as usual! Nice route too.

BFC. Ha. :rolleyes:
Thx Scott. The route priority was the Castle trail. After that, just bombing around looking for non existent views.....

Petch

PETCH . . . your ingenious sense of humor, along with terrific photos, is a winning combination which always makes your reports so very enjoyable to read!

Thx Scott. The route priority was the Castle trail. After that, just bombing around looking for non existent views.....

Petch

I've been thinking about that ridge again lately myself - it's been over 10 years but everytime I'm driving rte 2, there it is....calling...

So many trails....

Hey Petch..great report and photos on what was a pretty decent day out and about. Nice to run into you down at the parking lot. Thanks for saying hi!!

PETCH . . . your ingenious sense of humor, along with terrific photos, is a winning combination which always makes your reports so very enjoyable to read!
Thx John!

I've been thinking about that ridge again lately myself - it's been over 10 years but everytime I'm driving rte 2, there it is....calling...

So many trails....
I'll be hitting it again someday when there are better views....

Hey Petch..great report and photos on what was a pretty decent day out and about. Nice to run into you down at the parking lot. Thanks for saying hi!!
Good seeing you too, Mark. It was good to get above the trees and check out the little bit of snow.

Nice hike and TR! I'm a big fan of the Castle Ravine/Ridge loop, it's not a super long hike but it's nice going down along the ridge looking down into the ravine at your route earlier in the day for sure. The ravine is a little wild but give it a shot, it's a nice one!

P.S. also appreciate the degenerate conversation that develop during hikes. Aren't "that's what she said" lines mandatory??

Petch,
We took the Castle Ridge Trail, looking for the shortest route to tag Jefferson many years ago; Castellated Trail is on our list for one day. Looks like fun, even though the sun wasn't shining.
Loved the shot of the StarWarsSquirrels. You are a RIOT!

Donna:)

Good to see you up there, Petch.

Although I have to say I am glad we were never within earshot of your "degenerate conversation", having rather delicate ears.

We generally discuss philosophy and quantum physics. That type of thing. :rolleyes:

I've hiked up the Castles twice in the past 20 years, and I'm sure that it will be much steeper next time. :) I remember that the fern coverd forest between Mt Bowdin and the Link trail was a beautiful, serene almost rain forest type of area. I've bivied twice in the area of the castles and waking up in a thunderstorm was awesome to say the least.

Hear are a few pic from a bivey we did a few years back

2267217500048820105S600x600Q85.jpg

Find time to do this in clear weather, It's awesome!

Last edited:
Thx Bombadil, and Donna!

Tim: Nice meeting you up there. Yeah, we generally finish solving the worlds problems in the first 5 minutes, then it's all downhill from there.....

Quietman: I know the spot you're talking about bivying at. It's almost level and a very pretty section of trail. Your older photos are great!