Getting Lei'd on our 48th-4k Completion-Zealand/Bonds Traverse 08/08/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PETCH

Reaction score
Trails/Peaks Zealand/Bonds Traverse (North to South), Zealand trail, Twinway up to Zealand, then Guyot. Bondcliff Trail, spur trail to West Bond. Bondcliff trail to Mt Bond and Bondcliff, Bondcliff trail down to Wilderness Trail and out.

Trail Conditions: Zealand Trail wet in its usual spots (those pesky beavers). Twinway, Bondcliff trails in good shape. A few blowdowns coming down the Bondcliff trail, and a few muddy areas.

Special Equipment: Sunscreen, Hawaiian Leis, grass skirts, assorted lawn ornaments, a humorous disposition......etc

Cast of Characters: Russell, Helen, Kate, Charles, Todd, Jim, Dana, Ken, CrazyBob, Petch, plus Bob and Geri Hayes

Commentary: Well, the day had finally come. We tried this about month ago and got rained out. But this past weekend, the weather was outstanding with low humidity, sun, and moderate temps. The stage was set for completion of the NH48 for Jim, Dana, CrazyBob, and yours truly. We would not be denied the Holy Grail of hiking. So began this journey so many a years ago, in a galaxy not so far away. We've laughed together, we cried together. Through thick and thin, through ups and downs......all right, all right- fast forward.

8 of us met Saturday early evening at Lincoln Woods to spot vehicles. We had great plans for a satisfying meal at the CommonMan in Lincoln. But our dining experience would forever be altered by perhaps a force greater than any of us had ever battled- The 18th Annual Lincoln Summer Craft Festival. The Mother of all craft festivals. An 1.5 hour wait at the CommonMan was unacceptable, so we ate up in Woodstock and made our way up to Twin Mountain for a nightcap, and then off to sleep.

Sunday morning we met Kate's friends, Charles and Todd, and began our quest at 6:30am. We wore Hawaiian leis to celebrate the occasion. Why? Well, why the heck not? Bob and Geri Hayes were also scheduled to start a little later and catch up to us along the way. We climbed up to the hut and enjoyed our first break. Breakfast was in full swing inside the hut, and many of the hut patrons came out to observe the group of Hawaiian extremists that had invaded their territory. Luckily no hiking poles were drawn, and we continued our quest without any altercations. Apparently, some folks had never seen a pair of pink flamingos strapped to the outside of a backpack before. People need to get out more often.

Then the climbing began up the Twinway towards #45 Zealand. Everyone was hiking at a good pace and conditions were great. We briefly stopped at the Zeacliff outlook then onto Zealand Mtn.

#45 on Zealand
P9080086.JPG

With one down, and three to go, we hiked on up towards Guyot. As we crested the hump, hiking phenom's Bob and Geri caught up to us. Apparently, we had been noticed by other hikers and left quite a path of "Shock and awe" in our wake. In general, other hikers found us quite entertaining, but I think a couple thru-hikers were perhaps, a tad horrified. We then hit the Bondcliff trail and began our journey to the three remaining peaks. The climb up and then over to West Bond went quick and we were treated to the amazing views that you hear about.

#46 on West Bond
028.JPG

Bondcliff from West Bond
036.JPG

Two down, two to go.....onto Mt Bond. This was the highest peak of the day, and the climb through the woods was long but the views were well worth it.

#47 on Mt Bond
P9080112.JPG

Ken, Charles, Kate and Todd on Mt Bond
046.JPG

Helen and Russell on Mt Bond
044.JPG

Ok, three down, and the "Crown jewel" of the Pemi awaits......So we dressed in full ceremonial apparel (adding the grass skirts), and ventured onto our final goal. For whatever reason, there appeared to be numerous vultures circling above Bondcliff. Hmmm. Well, none of us was on the verge of passing out, and everyone was still hiking strong. So, bring on the vultures. If worse comes to worse, I figured I'd release the flamingos as a sacrificial lamb of sorts.

#48 on Bondcliff
P9080135.JPG

Bob and Geri on Mt Bond
P9080108.JPG

Bob and Geri were celebrating their anniversary this weekend, so congratulations to them!
We hung out on top of Bondcliff for over 45 minutes enjoying the scenery and having a couple celebratory beverages. Thanks to Helen and Russell for picking up some Harpoon IPA in a can, and to Dana for bringing up a bottle of Makers Mark. We made an attempt to call one of our hiking buddies, Jorge, who is out West. We were able to get a quick conversation in, but we had AT&T- no calls in more places. After our little celebration, we ventured down the Bondcliff trail with 9 miles or so to go. We stopped down low to filter water and let the flamingos cool their feet.

That's just not right....
P9080155.JPG

Some of the Crazies (Both Bobs (Bobsi Twins), Todd, Kate, Helen, and Geri) decided to do some trail running back to Lincoln Woods. The rest of us kept to a brisk pace, and showed up about an hour later. I was in no condition to run, as my left heel was basically hamburger, and will take a few days to recover. We did a little "Trailgating" back at the parking lot. Rollie from ROT was there, and later Dr_Wu002 showed up for a beverage. It was nice to unwind and toss back a cold one. Thanks to everyone who brought the post hike food and drink.

Congratulations CrazyBob, Jim and Dana for a job well done. A big thanks to all who helped organize this event and to those who came along on the hike. It was a great time with some great company.
We drove back to Maine dropping the flamingos off at the local animal shelter. They'll be fine, a little traumatized, but nothing a little pet therapy can't cure.

Petch

Trip stats: 19 miles or so, about 3900 ft of elevation gain, 9 1/2 hours for the runners. 10 1/2 hours for those of us who choose not to run

Humorous Slideshow ^

Hiking Pictures:http://picasaweb.google.com/mpetcher
Ascent List:http://peakbagger.com/climber/climblistc.aspx?cid=1767
GPSTracks:http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=1091139

Last edited:
A Wild and Crazy Finish

We were just talking about you this past weekend (were your ears burning?) guessing as to when you would complete the 48's and here you've finished. Congratulations to all! Nice outfits, boys.

Donna:)

Last edited:
That's a festive way to finish off! Now you'll have to bring the flamingos to all the other peaks for a new list!

Great trip report Petch. I could not have asked for a better group of people to finish the 48's with. Thanks to Russell, Helen, Kate, Charles, Todd, Jim, Dana, & Ken and a special thanks to Bob and Geri Hayes for joining us and for supplying the salsa and chips at the end. Bob and Geri Hayes adventures that have been documented on the web has given us great motivation and valuable information and if I grow up some day I want to be just like Bob or Geri. The biggest thanks goes to Petch for doing all planning and logistics for all of our hikes and for his great sense of humor with a touch of sarcasm. Congratulations Petch, Jim and Dana and when do we start our next list. :D:D:D

Congrats and great outfits!! :D

Bob & Geri didn't join in the dressing up on my 48 Winter finish.....:rolleyes:
But they did carry up a very nice beverage!

It's always fun to finish with friends and the dressing up is a cool fun memory to make it a little special!! :D

Now onto the Winter list?????

We were just talking about you this past weekend (were your ears burning?) guessing as to when you would complete the 48's and here you've finished. Congratulations to all! Nice outfits, boys.

Donna:)
Thx Donna,
My ears weren't burnin', but my quads were!

That's a festive way to finish off! Now you'll have to bring the flamingos to all the other peaks for a new list!
Thx, hmmmmm a Flamingo 48list. Has a nice ring to it!

congrats to all! job well done
Thx Keith, You're next!

Great trip report Petch. I could not have asked for a better group of people to finish the 48's with. Thanks to Russell, Helen, Kate, Charles, Todd, Jim, Dana, & Ken and a special thanks to Bob and Geri Hayes for joining us and for supplying the salsa and chips at the end. Bob and Geri Hayes adventures that have been documented on the web has given us great motivation and valuable information and if I grow up some day I want to be just like Bob or Geri. The biggest thanks goes to Petch for doing all planning and logistics for all of our hikes and for his great sense of humor with a touch of sarcasm. Congratulations Petch, Jim and Dana and when do we start our next list. :D:D:D
CrazyBob thx for all the great hikes and ridiculous times.....

Great job for the two " wild and crazy guys" from Maine.
Thx Skip, insanity is an acceptable defense!

Congrats and great outfits!! :D

Bob & Geri didn't join in the dressing up on my 48 Winter finish.....:rolleyes:
But they did carry up a very nice beverage!

It's always fun to finish with friends and the dressing up is a cool fun memory to make it a little special!! :D

Now onto the Winter list?????
Thx Darl58, it's amazing what you can find at the Dollar Store

What, no grass skirts?
Congratulations Petch! :)

Jay
Thx Jay. Oh, the grass skirts were there, look a little closer....

Good seeing you guys finish on Bondcliff! And thanks for the beer at the end. I was pretty tired and that hit the spot.

-Dr. Wu