Given this choice, which peak should I finish my 4000'ers on?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would choose:
1. Carrigain
2. Jefferson
3. Moriah

Jefferson and Moriah each have a decent view. The view from Carrigain is the best! Pick a clear day. I finished on Carrigain on a spectacular day in November. It was my third attempt after getting pushed back by darkness and wet snow on my two other attempts.

sweeper said:
Moriah
Middle Carter
South Carter
Carter Dome
Wildcat
Wildcat D

or vice versa. The other way might be the better. Make it a grand weekend.

I did the exact thing this past October with stays at Carter Notch Hut and Imp Shelter. A six peak, long weekend would be a great way to take it all in and wrap up the 48. I got up early from Imp and watched the sunrise on Moriah and down Stony Brook Tr., now that would be a finish!!

Moriahs south ledges were awesome pre-dawn. Sunset from Imp was beautiful too.

Wildcat Ridge traverse with full pack was rigorous though...

Four of my favorite summits

Moriah
Carrigain
Isolation
South Kinsman

Moriah - 360 degree views. Stood there and watched a hail storm approach once. The blackness blocked out Berlin :) The sun rays were over on the Presi's. Ascending either Carter - Moriah from the Gorham neighborhood or Stony Brook affords views from the open ledges along the way.

Carrigain - Beautiful, varied terrain along the Signal Ridge trail. The lovely brook on the lower section, the flat open woods in the middle section, the Birch incline that changes to thick softwoods that leads to the open ridge shoulder. The remaining tower platform is kind of a bummer, in the sense that there is a man-made object on the top of this beautiful peak..........but, that is how the extensive views are obtained from this mostly wooded summit.

Isolation - The Rocky Branch route is lovely in its own rite................ but my favorite route is from Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. Isolation has one of the best summit areas to hang out on IMHO. Unless..........it's during the thick of bug season.

South Kinsman - Another 360 degree view summit. I can see our hilltop from there :cool: and it's another really nice summit to hang out on.

Enjoy all your remaining summits as you check them off.

Food for Thought

I want to thank you all for your recommendations and thoughts.
As to how I am going to finish, it is still up in the air. My thoughts so far include:

• I may be doing the Presi Traverse. This would rule out Jefferson.
• Invite my brother and sister who hike (but not backpack) to join me. This would rule out some of the options.
• Bring my 9-year-old son along who does backpack, and has 4 - 4000'ers under his belt so far.
• Open it up to VFTT, and see if there are any takers to join me.
• Do it solo - (most of mine were done solo) perhaps the extended 6-peak route.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.

My last was Isolation via Dry River and came out on Glen Boulder then hitched back to my car. Thrilling end to my quest. Save Carrigan and Jeff for PERFECT days.

Carrigan (From the Guide Book on the 4000 footers, "...the summits of 43 of its 4000-footer brethren can be seen from the top, tying it with Mt. Washington for top honors in the regard." p.158) Ditto TDwag.

Isolation - a nice ledge to reflect on, enjoy a vast view including Eisenhower and Washington

Jefferson via Ridge of the Caps a unique trail to climb, do not expect to be alone on the summit without some thought as to when you go.

I'd pick Carrigain

In fact, it's what I've chosen to wrap up the NH 48 and the NY/NE 115. I had hoped to do that this fall, but the goal is proving slightly elusive at the moment. It looks like a perfect peak to end with: great views, reasonably accessible, a nice place to bring your closest friends for the big celebration.

I am doing the list with my son, we have choosen Washington so nonhiking friends and relatives can join us. By that time I will have finished my personal list on Isolation.

1. Jefferson - great trails - above treeline a lot of the way
2. Isolation - Rols explained it perfectly - a really nice woodland hike with a very unique view...buried in the Presis
3. Carrigain has great views on clear days...not crazy about fire towers, but it is a great view.

I'm not as far along as you, only 23/48 so far, but I've actually begun to think about #48 as well. I keep coming back to the question - which peak would be the most meaningful personally? While #48 will not be the last peak I hike, it will have a significance to it, and for that I want to choose a peak that has personal meaning for me. Which peak(s) have personal meaning for you?

I’ll be 'odd man out' here (or woman) and ask why save one for last? I never planned on any peak for last on a list, I just went for it picking a hike based on conditions and finished wherever it happened to be. I think each hike and peak was special whether it was in the middle, 2nd to last or last. Saving one for last can end up quite difficult to accomplish in the conditions you hope for thus maybe not as special has you had hoped. I think you can savor your accomplishment wherever you finish – it’s a parking lot after all ;) .

Isolation
Jefferson
Carrigain

I'm biased because I finished on Isolation, but it was incredible.

Roxi said:
I keep coming back to the question - which peak would be the most meaningful personally? While #48 will not be the last peak I hike, it will have a significance to it, and for that I want to choose a peak that has personal meaning for me. Which peak(s) have personal meaning for you?

Like many of you I started hiking the NH peaks before I had even heard of the NH 48 - 4000’ers, so I have climbed many of the “big name” peaks already. It has really only been recently that I thought I may actually finish all 48. Finishing on Washington might have been cool, but who on their first time around does them in order? I am certainly not that organized. As to which peak to finish on, I can’t say that any of the remaining have any intrinsic meaning to me as I haven’t climbed them yet, but with all the recommendations I’m getting, I am narrowing down the field.
Like you, it won’t be my last. There are other mountains – other lists…

I agree with the majority here that Jefferson, Carrigain and Isolation are all great choices to finish the list with. I never really thought about it. Just kept picking peaks based on the conditions around each climb and ended up finishing on South Carter. It's a great feeling or accomplishment wherever you finish and reflect back on all the different peaks. Last time I climbed Jefferson was via Six Husbands trail. If you really want a feeling of accomplishment and a really hard, fun climb, crawling amongst the boulders on the way, consider Six Husbands on Jefferson. It's long and hard, but if you can handle the milage, I think you'd really enjoy it. Have fun!!!

Which is significant to you as far as a finale? That is the question.

As for myself, I always want to get the way the hardest peaks done first.

If you want to have others with you on your final hike- take that into consideration.

carole said:
I’ll be 'odd man out' here (or woman) and ask why save one for last? I never planned on any peak for last on a list, I just went for it picking a hike based on conditions and finished wherever it happened to be.

That was actually my original plan as well, Carole, until my last hike. For reasons I cannot explain, nor anticipated, on the way back to the car from my last hike the thought entered my head, "Which peak do I want for my 48th NH4K?" And I immediately knew the answer because it's a peak I had stared at for two hours from atop another peak wondering what it would be like to stand/dance on top of it. I have thought about that particular peak many times since eyeing its summit last year and it has personal meaning for me. That's why I asked 4000'er the question, "Which peak would have the most personal meaning for you?" Everybody's experience/desire is different and I think it's perfectly ok not to choose a last peak, or to choose one based on whatever criteria the hiker wants. For me, I only recently came to think about and know which peak I want to be my 48th, and the reasons are very personal. But I also realize that life happens, and plans change, so it'll be interesting to see if things turn out as currently mapped.