Giving Thanks in the Dax

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMax

Reaction score
Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.
Topofgothics and I spent three wonderful days being thankful that the Dax exist! We drove up bright and early Friday morning and headed out from the Garden with the plan of doing the Brothers, Big Slide and possibly Yard. Well, as thankful as I was at the beginning of the hike, I was even more thankful at the end! (Keep reading, the reason will become apparent) The weather was cold and windy but we got some sun and some views. The trail was snow covered but not enough for snowshoes. The climb up to the first brother was relatively easy and we were rewarded with pretty awesome views. Couldn't enjoy them too long though because the wind was trouble. A couple of tricky moves later and we were on the top of the second brother working at not getting blown off the edge :D . At this point, I began to feel "wierd." I couldn't seem to get a full breath, my muscles ached and my motivation was fried. Endurance athletes refer to this as "bonking." Wow did I bonk! :( Had I been soloing, I would have turned around. But not wanting to disappoint Topofgothics, I pushed on. One small error in our thinking about where we were (we thought we had already gone over the third brother) led to my downfall. Topofgothics asked a passerby for some distance orientation (was that you PinPin?) and when I realized we had further to go than I thought, my spirit was crushed. I had a moments panic but Topofgothics hung in there with me and gave me the right amount of encouragement and support to help me through. Lots of blowdown along the route only added to my struggle. We climbed up to the trail sign to go back down (about 3/10 of a mile below the summit of Big Slide) and headed down. That view from the top will have to wait for another day for me. Walking out was tough. We used the two leantos as focal points and the first one seemed to take forever to appear! Got out well after dark. Stopped at the Noonmark for some chow and then over to the Loj.

Saturday morning was another cold one with spitting snow. Hung around the Loj for awhile, visiting with some good folks and then decided to walk out to Marcy dam to try out my uncooperative body! On the way up we ran into Guinness who was on his way out after sleeping out the night before Brrrr!! At the dam we went looking for the trail that leads out from behind the first leanto and heads over Whale's Tail. We found it and started out but the snow was deep with extremely goopy mud underneath. Worried about my stamina, I headed us back down the trail. Another wonderful evening at the Loj (with an incredible vegan meal) and a good night's sleep and I was ready to go on Sunday. We decided to do the Noonmark Loop. What a fabulous hike! Made pretty good time heading up. Could have donned crampons about 600 or 700 hundred feet below the summit to help but the conditions were so varied (light snow, slippery rocks, ice) it seemed too much of a bother. Struggled up and over some of the slabs and finally did put crampons on to get me over a particularly rough section. I haven't been on Noonmark before and was a little surprised by the last few sections. It was a fun climb and on the summit the wind was blasting. :eek: Took a few photos and a GPS bearing and dropped off the other side to get out of the cold wind. Put another layer on, had a snack and off we went. The trip down was much easier with the grade being less extreme. Wore crampons for a short time but could have made it without them. Topofgothics never put his on. The sun peeked in and out of the clouds and the day got progressively warmer. Back at the trailhead made some coffe and soup and then headed out for our long rides home.

I was truly thankful for the beauty of the terrain, the friendship of Topofgothics, the pleasantness of the Loj, and the return of my body!

Life is Good :D

Sounds like a great weekend Terri. Unfortunately, I had to work on Friday and could not get out to hike. I am living vicariously thru other folks hiking reports for the weekend.

Hi Terri,

Three days in the ADKs, what more can you ask for? After a several week break I also was bonking on my little outing. Now let me get this right, you were bonking, I was bonking, that makes both of us bonking in the woods. Now that can lead to interesting posts.......

It was not that cold sleeping out. I used the new Black Diamond FirstLight, the same one I used on Rainier and it work out well. At 3 pounds it sure made the pack lighter.

Ed

Pinpin Junior or the Pinpin's ghost?

Hi TMax & Topofgothics,

Yes it was Us, near the third Brother!!!! :eek:

Friday morning, after a early start from my home In St-Jérome in North of Montreal, and a usual losting time in the Garden's parking We start near 9 h. a.m.

Junior was in good shape and run in from me, We saw You near the First Brother and a second time when We go out near the Third, and it was at this time We give You this information "You are only go up the Third Brother" Sorry if We cut your leg and motivation but when We saw your pace We was thinking: We hope You have a head lamp if You will stay with your goal. :confused:

Congratulation for your determination!!! We are happy to see You had a great time. You can read on trail condition the last part of the Junior's friday and weekend.

Yes it was two nice fresh nights to stay under a tent or a lean-to.
We was camping at the end of South Meadow road without a good sleepingbag but with a down vest I survive and junior was just sleeping at my feet to keep them warm..... :rolleyes:

Saurday night was a little bit less fresh but more humid!!!

Have many other great hike in this small paradise!! ;)

Pinpin Junior.

TMax - Glad to hear that you recovered and kept hiking. I expect to get back on the trail again in a week or two, then will work on that "W" again. I'll post any trips that I plan ahead of time, but many of my hikes are last-minute decisions... -Bob

Geezz, you were bonking and I never took out my camera. I knew you were a bit weak, but then with the hours and intensity you put in every week in the real world, it would take down even a Mastodon. I never had a worry of getting out. Remember, I did not really use my headlamp. I do feel like a true Dack hiker now that I have been passed by Pinpin. I really did think the second lean-to was at 1.8, not 1.3, so think of how elated we felt when we saw the first lean-to so soon after and knew we were close to the car. It sure was a much quicker hike when I traversed the trail in July. Don't worry Tmax, as I promised, I would have dragged you all the way back by your hair if necessary, if only to appease your dad and prove it was natural causes.

Last edited:
To Bonk...

Pete_Hickey said:
Uhhh.. I hope you guys aren't British, Eh Phil? This is, after all, a family forum.

Bonk has three meanings 1. Hit the wall 2. Hit the head 3.Hit the.....never mind, I think most people know the 3rd one. ;)

Tom Rankin said:
Sorry, but the Brits would call it 'boinking' ....

No! Bonking is quite alright Tom!

P.S. Last time I used that expression on this Forum I received a famous land mark in Moscow!! :D