Giving way on the trail with snowshoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy hell! I have not had this much fun in a good long time! Highly entertaining thread, all. And thank you Tim Seaver; I'm absolutely having some of those badges printed up. This should be a FANTASTIC winter out on the trails!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Hi all,

I should start by saying that I don't really prescribe to any one "right of way" policy. I will gladly step off trail for any hiker or group regardless the size during my descent. Admittedly I do have a different mind set when it comes to my ascents. For better or worse, my ascent mantra is that the slower party should step aside.

On my last 20 or so hikes I have made better time during my ascents, which for me, does not correspond to the theory that the ascending party should give way under all circumstances.

As another person on this thread has stated, and I paraphrase, 'we have enough rules in our lives'. As long as we do not diminish another person's experience and are courteous and grateful isn't there enough time and space for all?

Just saying...

Z :D

I have done the W115, and seen very few skiers on New England trails, (aside from BSP), but in the ADKs, they are always out there.
Actually, there are quite a few skiers out on certain NE trails. You just have to look on the right trails...

FWIW, snowshoe or bareboot tracks can make some trails much harder to ski depending on the terrain and snow conditions. (And, yes, under certain conditions they can also make trails easier--particularly for low angle deep soft snow.)

Doug

Hi all,

As long as we do not diminish another person's experience and are courteous and grateful isn't there enough time and space for all?

Z :D

Exactly. While not "rules" that are written down to be policed, they are "guidelines" for living a considerate life. Interesting thread, and what I take from it is that most of us care to be stewards as best as we know how. For those shocked at some of the directness they read here, I'll add that it is a forum to express and think about opinions, and it's a good way to know what others are thinking.

Thank you all for the entertaining read. My only question is, if I'm wearing snowshoes but my dog is not, will I still get scolded?:rolleyes:

Thank you all for the entertaining read. My only question is, if I'm wearing snowshoes but my dog is not, will I still get scolded?:rolleyes:
Not you personally. But your dog is fair game... And only if the harasser is wearing one of Tim's badges.

It's the moose that should wear snowshoes! :rolleyes: ;)

You're not kidding. I've been on a couple trails destroyed by moose and it's a bummer. I think that we need to get Fish and Game to put some shoes on them, and maybe scrape of a couple thousand winter ticks while they are at it. :D

Hey, I'm not advocating for rules here. I'm simply saying that if you're being an inconsiderate ass by postholing and mangling the trail, then suck it up if someone calls you on it and tells you you're being an inconsiderate ass. Don't post whining about it.

(and yes, I realize the OP wasn't postholing and mangling the trail, this isn't directed at them)