Goggle problems

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmac

Reaction score
:confused: Last year I found that I was very frustrated with my goggles "fogging up" and then freezing. I tried the de-fogging spray,cat crap and nothing really worked. Any suggestions?
kmac

a friend has goggles with a battery and tiny little fans that keep the air flowing.
he swears by them. I have never seen them anywhere, though, except on his head.

Safety work glasses. These safety glasses are generally made of polycarbonate and are anti fog. They come in all sort of designer frames these days and lens colors. Bouton... http://www.hlbouton.com/ is the brand I use at work and off trail, I can tell you they are great and never had any problems with foging.

what kind of goggles do you have? my bolles rearly fog up

Single lenses don't have much chance. Double lenses and a maximum amount of ventilation are required. And they may still fog if you are running warm...

Also make sure that none of your exhaled breath gets under the goggles. You can also fog the outside if you exhale upward.

It is even harder if you wear glasses (I do).

Doug

Maybe you can try Fog-X. Not sure if the make it anymore. Just make sure the goggles have enough ventilation and then ski fast.

I've been fortunate not to wear mine much, the glacier glasses fog though too. I've had the best luck with the divers solustion, plain old spit.

Ditto on the fan powered goggles. Its the only (relatively) sure thing I have found. Only problem is, the replacement batteries can be hard to find (at least for mine).

DougPaul said:
It is even harder if you wear glasses (I do).

Doug

Yep, I agree, so that's why I use contacts now. That helps a little, but skiing fast also helps... :D

Fog-X only helps fogging, at least that's been my experience with it.

I tried Cat-Crap, and it's just that, crap.

I switched to Sea-Drops, and it lasts longer than the Cat-Crap, but it still won't go the whole day. I have heard Sal-Clear is the stuff to get (a lot of the hardcore ice climbers swear by it), but I haven't found it locally yet. I'll have to order some online and see how it works.

When I play ice hockey I don't always play goal (as my avatar shows) and I used to wear a plastic full face shield when I skated out. This shield would fog up bad. I got some anti-fog spay at the hockey pro shop and put this on my mask and it helped but it was expensive. I found that using a liquid dishwashing fluid worked even better and was a lot cheaper. Just put a small drop on a paper towel and wipe the dishwashing soap on the lens and let it dry - then use another dry paper towel and buff the soap off of the lens so that you can see clearly. This worked pretty well in the controlled environment of a hockey rink. I don't know how it would work in deteriorating weather in the mountains.

Basically my solution in the mountains is to use sun glasses unless the wind is really blowing hard in which case I will switch to goggles. Then the heavy wind will help keep the fog at bay. I always try to keep a dry cloth handy as well to wipe my glasses or goggles when all else fails.

i found the goggles with the fan at ski market. i still need to do more research on them, before i invest. the liquid soap sounds like it might be worth trying : )
kmac

kmac said:
i found the goggles with the fan at ski market. kmac
what's Ski Market charging ?

These are Tactical Goggles, only clear and gray lenses, but the price is less than the comparable ski goggles I'm seeing and the Tactical goggles have "ESS Tear-Off Lens Covers are thin, optically-clear films that stack on the outside of ESS Turbo Fan Striker Goggle lens. ESS Tear-Offs can be quickly removed, one at a time, to instantly restore clear vision. While great in dirty and dusty environments, Tear Offs also protect Striker-TurboFan ESS Goggles lens during normal use."

Th eonly problem is that the fogging usually occurs on the inside of the lens, where the tear-offs won't do any good. I used to have a set of those for off-road motorcycle riding when I was younger, and they worked great in that application.

AFX makes some electrically heated goggles for the snowmobilers. I think they need 12 volts, and its probably not worth carrying some battery pack and converter...if I get a chance I will call them and see how much current they need.