Goodbye Maine and New England- Colorado Here I come

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat32

Reaction score
After 8 years of living in Maine we are saying goodbye and leaving for Colorado this weekend for our new home.

I had lots of fun having Maine as my backyard....especially since I grew up in PA and the hiking is quite tame there..

In my time I have done some great hikes. I have hiked Katahdin 15 times since I lived here (only an hour from Millinocket) in all seasons and up every trail. and that has become my favorite spot in New England to hike. Two of my most memorable day hikes are here....Katahdin summit in winter, and a 20+ mile loop up Helon, Knife Edge, Katahdin, Hamlin, Northwest Basin, Russel Pond in a day

Among some of my hikes since I lived here have been a Cohos Trail thru hike, Long Trail from Journeys End to Rutland (I hiked the rest on a previous AT thru hike) Grafton Loop, Pemi Loop, One Day Presi Traverse, Every trailed Peak in Acadia on MDI.
In Baxter: The Traveler Loop, Owl, Northwest Basin, Brothers Coe Loop, Fort, Doubletop, Sentinel.
In rest of Maine Saddleback, Tumbledown, Mahoosic Traverse, Much of 100 mile wilderness, Bigelow Range, Most mountains in Moosehead area, Camden Hills, The remaining 4000 footers in ME, and many others.
In NH- Numerous hikes in the Presis, a 42 mile loop including Baldfaces, Moriah-Carter Range, and many other smaller hikes.

I managed to xc miles and mountain bike many new places and downhill skied at least a dozen new places from Gore mtn in NY to several places in NH,VT, ME, and QC.

Between my several outdoor sports I manage about 70 days a year hiking,skiing, xc skiing, mt biking, kayaking , etc since I lived here, much more if you count the local runs and trail runs.
It's been a great time but now I look forward to many new and grander adventures in Colorado, it's been way too long since I played in the Rockies and now I look forward to hopefully many years there. I know a few of you on year follow my blog and I will continue to post my adventures if you are interested once I settle in my new home. tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com if interested.

I enjoyed all the info that this forum offered, It's truly a great hiking community with a great wealth of knowledge and love of the mountains

We will initially be between Salida and Canon City in a temporary rental but shooting for closer to Salida or possibly Buena Vista. My other half is an RN and she is getting a job in Salida. But we will be close to the Sangre de Christo and Sawatch ranges. There is more than 25 14ers between the two ranges.

Best of Luck in Colorado-a beautiful state. You hit many of my favorite places here in Maine. You will always carry a bit of maine with you now and don't worry about not being born herahh, you ahhrh a mainah

Buena Vista and Salida are my favorite CO towns and I love hanging out there. The Sawatch is awesome, some of the easier peaks to climb, so its a great range to start your 14er quest. The san gre's have some easy and some real tough peaks. The one thing I enjoyed out there that I didn't have here is the hot springs. After a hike there is nothing like a good soak. I preferred the Princeton hot springs because they had two large swimming pools, one hotter then the other. The other springs Cottenwood a more of an adult spring. I was there once and didn't realize that after dark people soaked nude:eek: Im no prude but that's not my thing. Princeton is a family type place and very well taken care of.

We will initially be between Salida and Canon City in a temporary rental but shooting for closer to Salida or possibly Buena Vista.
Fantastic country, not far from the San Juans either! Several folks from my former employer have retired into the area. The Front Range can go hang; SW CO is what it's all about. Have a world of fun.

Welcome to CO! Living in the Front Range (grr) and time of life means I have not been able to do nearly as much exploring our great state as I would have liked since we moved in 2010, but still the opportunities are there for whenever. Salida is our favorite town so far that we can get to easily. Rivers are reeeeealllly nice right now, not as nuts as a week ago, though (of course!) cold. The Salida River Festival (might have messed up the name) starts tomorrow. Meltout is in full swing. The summer trails should be mostly open for business in a couple more weeks, though between 10,000 feet and treeline may still have some pretty good snow till the 4th of July, less in SW CO, more in RMNP and north.