Greylock Hike 1/23/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNR

Reaction score
Just asking for advice on an easy snowshoe route...I've done some hiking in the Whites but not much in winter. I've got snowshoes but was wondering if this is a true winter hike or if it is a bit less intense that up north.

Any thoughts would be welcome about the route.

Thanks.

Just asking for advice on an easy snowshoe route...I've done some hiking in the Whites but not much in winter. I've got snowshoes but was wondering if this is a true winter hike or if it is a bit less intense that up north.

Any thoughts would be welcome about the route.

Thanks.
The Hopper Trail is about as easy as any trail (to a 3500' peak) in the universe. About 2400' elevation in ~4 miles. Easy grades, great footing the whole way. Nice trail too.

-Dr. Wu

My limited experience: The North route over Bellows Pipe Trail then up the Trail West past the Bellows Pipe Shelter to join the AT headed South over the summit. This trail was mostly easy grades except for the short section before you join the AT. The lower part is over nice gentle and wide road.

Pretty easy hike without snow, so i'd expect pleasant snowshoeing.

Don't underestimate summit conditions

The summit of Greylock can be like any treeless N.E. peak in the winter. It's possible to experience some pretty heinous windchills. That said, it is less likely to be that way than most of the 4000 footers.

Note to some suggestions already made: Hopper is good if you are coming from west side of the mountain. It's a long drive to get around, so if you are coming from the east I recommend choosing an eastern trailhead.

Look at this map: http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/Mt.Grey-Winter.gif

One good eastern loop is from the parking area at the base of Notch Rd. Follow the Bellows Pipe trail (probably broken out by snowmobiles as far as the B.P. shelter) and thence to its jct. with the AT on the ridge . Climb to the summit and retrace your route to the B.P./A.T. jct but continue following the ridge and descend by the Bernard Farm Trail to return to your car. If the ridge isn't broken out (snow depths up high can easily be 5 feet and drifted) and you aren't keen on working that hard you can always return by way of your ascent route.

Another good eastern loop is via the Gould Trail/Cheshire Harbor. C.H. will probably be packed out by the snow machines. Gould will not. The grades will be easier than on the previously mentioned loop.

Note to everyone: the 75th anniversary race celebrating the Thunderbolt ski trail is scheduled for Sat. Feb. 20. There should be some good spectating. Spectators' routes are listed here: http://www.thunderboltskirun.com/coursemap.html

I prefer the Cheshire Harbor route myself. Depending on the snowfall, it may not be up to White Mt. depths. Up high though, you should find enough snow to use the snowshoes.

It can be pretty cold up there. On my 2nd winter rip up there, a friend & I found it cold & windy. We ate behind the lodge to get out of the wind. My hands were pretty cold so I when we left, I wasn't stopping until I generated soem heat. My friend wanted a picture of one of the road signs (I had the picture from my previous winter trip) & wanted to stop. I whined (mostly F-bombs & other $^%@$*) & told him I wasn't stopping.

I prefer the Gould Trail from the West Mt. Road parking lot. Park at the lot on the right where the road turns sharp left. Instead of following the trail signs, head straight towards the summit on an obvious snowmobile trail. After a couple of hundred yards, cross the brook on the bridge and go up a short hill then take a left at the small sign. Follow the trail to the upper parking lot, cross the road and continue on the Hopper trail to the summit. If this is your first time on Mt. Greylock, you should return by the same route because the trails on the east side are plentiful and poorly marked.

Greylock Glen Trails

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

Had a great hike and brought along more winter gear than I'd have if I hadn't posted and gotten support.

Thanks again.