Grouse Attack on Rocky Branch Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not here but on Disappointment Peak in the Tetons we were followed closely and rushed from behind on the way up and down. we warned other people heading up and they'd give us this weird look, so we had the last laugh.

so it's not just an east coast thing, anyway.

Last edited:
Spruce grouse

Yeah, this has happened to me several times when I have been hiking in New Hampshire.

Can't imagine that any threat is posed to the hiker- just imagine the weight or strength ratio between any person and a grouse. It 's a territorial thing.

But, once this happened to me and the animal was pecking at my gaitors- I was hauling a full pack and had a merry dance on the trail to avoid stepping on him or falling over. Afterwards I definitely had a sorta fried chicken craving. :D

Can't imagine that any threat is posed to the hiker- just imagine the weight or strength ratio between any person and a grouse. It 's a territorial thing. :D

Yea, I never felt out gunned but like you felt, I was more worried about the bird, especially with the dog nearby. The bird wasn't worried about any of that though.

We were sitting near the top of Mahoosuc taking a snack break a few summers ago and a male spruce grouse walked around us and decided to take a bit out of Jerry's tee shirt sleeve. I loved Jerry's response - "Oh, my." Then the grouse walked around us again and jumped first to Jerry's boot, then to his bent knee (we were sitting). Jerry never flinched. :p

I was Mike's hiking partner on the 10/15 attack. The bird wouldn't move & when I put my hiking pole next to him, he snapped at the pole. he actually did it a few times & I even pushed the bird with the poles to avoid getting my legs pecked.

I was 40% curious of the birds behavior, 30% wondering what the folks of PETA would say & 30% thinking if Spruce Grouse taste like chicken:D (I've had his ruffled cousin years ago)

In 1998 I had to step off the trail in the Italian Alps, but that was for a bull who found the grass in the trail tasty.

Last edited:
We had one fly right in front of us on the West Ridge Trail coming down off Glastenbury Mountain in Vermont. The thing flew right at the person at the front of the group and she flung her hands up in defense. It was so close to her and flew so fast that the others in the party thought she actually caught it as it went at her. It was definitely aiming for a head shot, but fortunately, did not connect. Our best guess was that we had gotten between a mama and her baby (or babies).

That's probably been the closest encounter. I've certainly rustled up a few on the trails, but that was the only one who ever attacked.