Grouse Attack on Rocky Branch Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldmanwinter

Reaction score
Deerfield, NH Avatar: Attempt on Nubble 11/17/07
While hiking up to Mt. Isolation I had an unexpected encounter on the Rocky Branch Trail. My wife and dog were a bit out front when a large bird strutted out into the middle of the trail and stood right in front of me, about 10 feet away. We had a stare down for about 15 or 20 seconds when I said “OK little guy, move out of the way I have to go by”. I guess he didn’t take kindly to threats, as I started to head on by he went on the offensive. He started low with a side attack and went with a vicious peck at my boot. I said “Hey, what are you doing”. This had no effect; he then went higher and placed another peck on my gaiter. Well, I wasn’t going to take anymore of this, I did what was called for, I yelled and ran off down the trail as fast as I could. He wasn’t through with me, he took to the air and made a cowardly run from behind, swooping down right next to my shoulder, I think he was going for a piece of my ear. He then landed in a tree on the edge of the trail about head high and gave me the evil eye as I quickly moved on. Waiting around the next bend was my wife and dog; she asked what happened back there. I told her I was attacked by a grouse. “A grouse” she asked. “I’m no expert on attack fowl but I think it was a grouse, it was one of those fat birds that make all that racket when they fly off” I said. It has now been officially verified that it was a male Spruce Grouse. On the way back down while passing the crime scene I wondered if that bad boy would still be there but I guess he had enough of me for one day.

Is this a common occurance, it's never happened to either of us before.

OMW

A bird exploded in front of 2 of us on Hurricane Mtn in the Adk, we were surprised and backed off because from the noise we thought it was a rhino at least. As this was summer we took it for a female protecting young once we saw what caused the ruckus. Maybe in fall the males are territorial?

In answer to CM, I think the trail was first and the stream moved in :) It was like that 2 weeks ago and I've seen it that way in May. I've also seen it dry and entirely covered with snow when it's no problem.

I have had a similar occurance as well but in the Adirondacks. These birds almost have a mind of there own. I have seen them territorial and very calm where you can actually pet them. I think they are bi-polar :D

Oldmanwinter, my hiking companion and I were also attacked, probably by the same male spruce grouse, close to the height of land on the Rocky Branch Trail on 10/15/08. He obviously is protecting his nesting area. What I found interesting was that he did not back off, even after we pushed him aside and had walked past "his" area. In the past, my experience has been that a grouse will try to lead you away from his territory by walking in front of you. However, a number of years ago I did encounter a "kamikaze" grouse on the Wildcat Ridge that also was aggressive. It would be nice to learn how to show the grouse that you mean no harm and that you respect his "home territory".

It was at the height of land just before starting down toward the river. What surprised me was that he knew there was a dog with me and that still didn't stop him, although my dog would run faster than I did if the grouse went after her like he did me:).

Usually it's the female ruffed grouse that are so protective of their young. We've been rushed several times. One ran right into my leg on East Kennebago. The first time we heard one, we thought a wild pig was loose in the woods.
I've found female spruce grouse to be remarkably tame, as are the male ones usually. Never been attacked, but I have nervously passed by right under them while getting the stare from that evil red eye. Someone told us a story about having one jump on his head as he passed by underneath.:eek:

Back in Nov of 2004, a spruce grouse was ready to battle me and my hiking buddy. We were leaving Shoal Pond and he was in the middle of the trail, staring at us, making little noises. I bluff charged it, and it didn't move a muscle. My hiking buddy tried to run past it, and it flew up at him and then landed in front of him. Then we both attempted to run by him and hem flew at eye level right by our ears and landed in front. Then the bird walked off the trail and watched us leave. There are bears, large moose, and bobcats in the wild. I trust all of them combined more than I trusts birds. :D

The grouse, that was ready for war

grouseking

I am their general, they are my troops. I apologize he did not know you were a friend not a foe. I shall make my instructions to them more clear to avoid further issues. It is tough being a disciplinarian, but as you can imagine they have small brains and it is tough getting through to them (especially considering I don't speak grousish).

:D

Brian

The male spruce grouse is often territorial, and had a similar instance rather near the summit of Little Haystack a few years ago. It wouldn't back off to us mere humans, but did give ground to a black lab who happened by.

About 5 or 6 years back, there were several reports of an aggressive male grouse near S. Twin, IIRC. Some idiot killed it with a hiking pole.

The male spruce grouse is often territorial, and had a similar instance rather near the summit of Little Haystack a few years ago. It wouldn't back off to us mere humans, but did give ground to a black lab who happened by.

About 5 or 6 years back, there were several reports of an aggressive male grouse near S. Twin, IIRC. Some idiot killed it with a hiking pole.

How many more must be attacked before we outlaw wild Spruce Grouse? :D

I had an encounter with one on the Twinway near Zealand once, but he didn't attack. I was a bit surprised by how bold he was, though, and how close he came to me. Good thing I wasn't more hungry that day cause I might have had a little cookout. Roast Grouse....mmmmmm!

We had a female spruce grouse do the broken wing tactic when hiking Tecum-sah. We watched her display but noticed at a bend in the trail above us 6 little grouslings (?!) crossing the trail while mom did her work.

We've often startled them along a trail, and usually they fly up in front of our faces and away. But once were were chased (literally) down the Blueberry foot trail in the Sewards, as it raised quite a fuss.

Near the intersection of Isolation Trail and Davis Path:

There were several, and they were curious. They kept running out over our feet and back into the underbrush. Mom (or Dad) was in the tree above us clucking like mad, but never charged us.

Tim

I was hiking with Roadtripper and his pal Candy on Rocky Branch where several startled us on a couple of occasions.

I run into them a lot while exploring log roads and trails around Rangeley. I love seeing the broken wing tactic. Have only been "attacked twice". The first time it charged me, but I scared it off by clapping my trekking poles. The second time, the clapping didn't work and it pecked my boot. I had to nudge it gently with a trekking pole and it scampered away without harm. In both cases, there were a brood(?) of chicks close by. Thankfully none have flown at me. That would be a different situation altogether.:eek:

Marty

Happened to me and a buddy coming back from Kinsman Pond years ago. Initially our fault due to letting it sample some trail mix. It remained so persistent we had to run 3 fifty foot legs before dusting it. I'll never forget the last image while peering from behind a boulder- a determined body beelining straight towards us propelled by a blur of wings.

I seem to remember the old nickname "Fool's Hen" applied, as the birds determination and lack of alarm often resulted in a bump with a stick, and a trip to a stew pot.

I think they're just getting a kick out of frightening the humans. Imagine the stories they tell when they hang out together.

Last edited: