Hale and Pemi's First Four K ~for dog lover's~

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Last year I selected a planned breeding of Australian Shepherds that closely matched Terra's pedigree. Then the wait began. We waited, and waited. Finally the dogs were bred. More waiting and fingers crossed for a female pup, the puppies were born:) June 7, five females and one male.

Every sunday, MichaelJ, Terra and I went to visit the puppies. We'd always promise each other it would be a quick visit, then would proceed to spend three hours in the whelping box, playing with puppies. Michael must have taken well over 1000 pictures!

Finally, eight weeks passed, and we waited to find out which puppy would be ours. We had to wait for both breeders to have their pick. We tried not to have our favorites, because they were all so wonderful in their own ways. But the breeder and we all agreed; we needed a performance level puppy; one who would normally be destined for the Agility venues, to be up for the level of hiking we enjoy.

I realize that the decision to buy vs adopt is a sensitive one for some pet lovers, but for me; I am comfortable and confident with my choice to purchase my two Australian Shepherds. I have adopted and fostered rescue dogs in the past (Labs, Border Collies and Australian Shepherds) and put much love, time, and commitment into helping them through the baggage they brought with them. At this point in my life, I know what type of dog I want, and feel the best way to bring that dog of my chosen breed into my life is through a carefully selected puppy from a very responsible and locally accessible breeder who is involved in all aspects of the breed. :)

Finally, word came, and Pemi (the puppy formerly known as Circe) was ours!!! I was overjoyed, because secretly I had been hoping since she was five days old that she would be ours. There was just something special that touched my heart about this petite blue merle girl.

From the moment they met, Terra and Pemi were best friends. They play 24/7. We often joke that we need to ask Terra's permission to play with "her" puppy. Its wonderful to have watched their relationship develop. We feel very fortunate to have been able to have given these two dogs the gift of each other's companionship.

Pemi is a petite girl, weighing in at a lithe 27 pounds (half of Terra's weight); and will probably top out at 34. We couldn't be happier, because we both wanted a smaller female, for varying reasons. Pemi is incredibly balanced and athletic. She is the fastest dog I've ever known. She outruns even the whippets at the dog park.
ry%3D480

Photo courtesy of MichaelJ

:eek: She knows she's fast, and she turns on a dime when she hears her name. She learns so quickly and is very eager to please. She LOVES everyone she meets, every person, every dog, and especially children. :p She walks up and introduces herself with a funny little sideways crab walk that says "lets be friends, I'm really really gentle!". She wiggles her butt nonstop. Her slightly longer than normal docked tail buzzes so fast, we call it "super sonic". Yet for all her energy -- she is a very composed, relaxed, confident puppy with a lot of self control. Just what we were looking for. Huge thanks to breeder Margo Slattery of Solis Aussies www.solisaussies.com, New Hampshire.

Flash forward five and a half months and a couple hundred puppy hikes at our local conservation area; and we arrive at today -- Pemi's first mountain. The Mighty Hale.

I met ADKnBVI at the Twin Brook Trailhead, where we spotted a car. We then drove to the Hale Brook Trailhead, where we met Eric Rathbun and Madison the trail dog. Our plan was to hike up via Hale Brook, a gentle and well graded 2.2 miles to the summit. If Pemi was showing good endurance, we'd head down the Firewarden's Trail. If she was beginning to tire, we'd head down Hale Brook.

Pemi did a bit of running around and then settled into the steady pace of the older dogs. I practiced a couple recalls, as I do on all our walks (no time like the present for training exercises!) to gauge her attention level. Lightning fast recalls every time, I love this breed. :p

At the first water crossing, Pemi ran straight across without a second look. We have a few small streams at our local conservation area, as well as a pond she loves to swim in. She ran back across to us, then slipped a bit on an icy rock. Huh? She processed this new information, and was a bit more deliberate with her foot placement at the second crossing. Good girl!!

At the summit, Val took these great pictures of the dogs and people celebrating.
[/I][/I]
ry%3D400

ry%3D480

Photos courtesy of ADKnBVI

We decided it was too soon for the hike to end, and headed happily down the Firewarden's Trail. We reached our cars at the N Twin Trailhead at 12:26 pm, just shy of four hours after our start. Pemi was still trotting along with that effortless, all day stride of an Aussie. So happy to have been able to share Pemi's first hike with friends and fellow animal lovers. Looking forward to many more adventures with Pemi and Terra. :)

Pemi; AKA Solis Dream Catcher ~ NH4k 1/48

Last edited:
Great job! Sorry I couldn't be there for it. I wonder if Pemi will want to hike again???

Sooo happy to hear she had such a great "first" big mountain hike! She is is adorable. There is nothing like that puppy "enthusiasm and energy".

Bet she had great "pup dreams" last night and is already planning her next adventure! Way to go!!! :D:cool::)

Sweet!

My sister's got a male, blue merle Aussie. Gunnar is an awesome dog! Indeed, a very cool breed. Smart as a whip!!

Pemi got 4K's #2 & #3 today, but I'll let una_dogger tell the story. :)

awesome! I so miss my dogs, who are now in heaven...your TR makes it so hard to not have a dog

awww....you can hike with us anytime :)

You Rock!

-Auntie Em

thanks, autie em!

Sweet!

My sister's got a male, blue merle Aussie. Gunnar is an awesome dog! Indeed, a very cool breed. Smart as a whip!!

cutie!

Pemi got 4K's #2 & #3 today, but I'll let una_dogger tell the story. :)

maybe we will let jacobh tell this story!

Last edited: