Hanging with the Joshua Trees

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carmel

Reaction score
S. Dartmouth MA, Seekonk MA Avatar: Kauai
So, i'm still in California for work and decided that i'd meet up with the people I met in Yosemite last week in Joshua Tree. One of the girls I met actually lives around 20 minutes from where my hotel is (that is with NO traffic), so I picked her up at 6AM this morning and we headed on our way. We had to make a few stops for things such as gas, breaky, and my favorite stop....was to the grocery store. I was really excited to be buying booze before 8AM on a Saturday morning..and at a GROCERY STORE (not done in MA)!!!!

We arrived at the park before all the other people we were to meet, so we went for a short 3 miles hike, and then met up with them for a climb. So, I set out on my 3 and 1/2 climb. I dunno, i climbed a few days in canada in high school, then darren and i did a little via ferrata in the dolomites (that is my 1/2, because it was via ferrata) and then last week at Yosemite. I guess I don't mess around with my very few climbing locations...I hope I don't become too spoiled..i mean you can't go wrong with The Dolomites, Yosemite, and Joshua Tree !

The climb (I think) was "sail away" (5.8) and I thought it was perfect for a beginner. The weather was gorgeous: chilly and sunny, yet we weren't so cold we were uncomfortable, well, besides our fingers on the freezing cold rock, but after awhile, i couldn't feel them anyways!!!!

Has anyone ever felt like this: Toward the end of the climb, I felt like I was going to laugh, cry, and vomit all at the same time. Talk about one heck of an adrenaline rush, and WHAT FUN!!! Then when I came back down to the ground in one piece, all I could do was laugh and laugh and laugh (I still wanted to puke tho), I think my nerves must have been shot, but i'm not afraid of heights!!! Has anyone else ever felt like that?

I posted some more pics on my webshots account...

http://community.webshots.com/user/carm11w

Enjoy!

Carmel said:
Has anyone ever felt like this: Toward the end of the climb, I felt like I was going to laugh, cry, and vomit all at the same time. Talk about one heck of an adrenaline rush, and WHAT FUN!!! Then when I came back down to the ground in one piece, all I could do was laugh and laugh and laugh (I still wanted to puke tho), I think my nerves must have been shot, but i'm not afraid of heights!!! Has anyone else ever felt like that?

Ahhh I see your hooked now. Glad you had such a great time. What's next...The Bugaboos, Squamish, Red Rocks? Climb on!

Wow, you are getting really good at photoshop! That almost looks like that is really you up there...

carm-jt.jpg

:D

Next time climb on the sunny side of the rocks! I'm glad you are having fun. Nice pix.

- d

ps: with all that climbing experience, you are going to be ready to climb right up on my roof and clean my gutters when you get home. :rolleyes:

darren said:
Next time climb on the sunny side of the rocks!
Why didn't I think of that???

Carm - chalk and everything!! You're in!!

Carmel said:
I felt like I was going to laugh, cry, and vomit all at the same time. T
I think you were just missing all of us!! :D

I really don't care for heights, but I've never had those feelings on a rope!! Sounds like you were psyched, but you're nerves were flippin out from under ya.

WOW Carmel!
You certainly don't let the grass grow under YOUR feet!
Way to make the best of your situation, how long are you stuck out in LA?
Hope to hike with you soon! :)
Darren is just jealous because he is in, oh, yeah, strike that... :eek:

While the cats away..you must play.

Go Girl!!!
I loved reading your trip to Yosetime and then this one.
You make me laugh just reading how much fun your having,
given the situation right now.
You must be missing Darren (you are missing him)???
Your pics are wonderful.
Carry on and keep having FUN!!!!

chinooktrail said:
WOW Carmel!
You certainly don't let the grass grow under YOUR feet!
Way to make the best of your situation, how long are you stuck out in LA?
Hope to hike with you soon! :)
Darren is just jealous because he is in, oh, yeah, strike that... :eek:

i'm out here till the end of Jan/beginning of Feb.

Darren is just jealous because he is, yes, in a big cast sitting on a couch every day. :( woe is him.

i'm trying to have as much fun as possible before I have to start putting in 12 hour days! Unfortunately, i think that will be sooner than later!

and bubba, yes, i am missing you ALL very much! i am really bummed i am missing the winter gathering!

tom, i don't think that people would be buying photos from ME, unless darren used photoshop on all of them and fixed them!!!

mtnma, oh i AM having fun, and i'm pleading the fifth on missing darren, i don't need all that ushy gushy stuff ruining my reputation. :)