Hard

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hardest Day Hike

Winter Ascent of Hough in the Adirondacks. We started at Elk Lake, (Johnson's Clearing actually) and did Macomb, South Dix and then Hough arriving at sundown. We bushwhacked down Lily Brook in the dark, breaking trail and making it up as we went along. It was a 12 hour day, beautiful views, great companions and I had the time of of my life. A memory that gets better with time.

Winter ascent of Wright in the Adirondacks, just because the wind is so wicked. First try it was really blowing and I thought that I would go airborne and it was like -75 F(with wind chill). Second attempt was better- only 40 mph winds and about 10 F(whats the wind chill?).

The entire SBM (that's the Suffern Bear Mountain trail, Harriman State Park, FYI) in a day. 24.5 miles and like 5K of up. My legs were burnt the next day.

Hardest Backpack was Rim-to-Rim Grand Canyon in June- just because it was 129 F at Phantom Ranch and it never got cooler then 85 F, even at night. Just happy to have survived.

Tom Rankin said:
It you're interested, there is also a competitive race along the Escarpment Trail in the Catskills. It's about 30 Km, with about 10K of elevation gain (yeah, I know, mixed units, but it's the way their web page quotes it). Last year's winner did it in just under 3 hours. You have to be able to run a regular marathon in under 4 hours to qualify.

See http://escarpmenttrail.com/ for more details.

Thanks for the info Tom! I've heard of that race, it looks like fun. If all goes as planned though, I'll be doing another ultra in July though.. but that one looks great.

So I don't get accused of hijacking this thread, my hardest "hike" of '05 was the Hardrock 100. :D

Now about Escarpment. You don't absolutely HAVE to run a marathon in under 4 hours within the past year to get in. While that is one of the qualifying standards, you could also qualify with any of these (and this is from the website):

All those who finished the previous year's Escarpment Trail in under 6 hours.

All those who have completed an trail run of 30k or more in reasonable time (Example: Nipmuck Trail Marathon under 6 1/2 hours, Virgil Mt. Madness Run in under 5 hours.).

Anyone who has completed a 50 mile run within the year under 10 hours or a 50K under 5 1/2 hours.

How 'bout this one: The Devil's Path AND Escarpment Trail point to point in a day??!! Doable?? :confused: :eek: :D

Mine was Mt. Shavano and Mt. Tabequache in CO. Not a bad hike on most days but coming off Tabequache I snapped my ankle. Due to the layout of the peaks, it was easier to still climb back up and over Shavano to get down. I was solo, but well prepared. I sat down, took many advil (10 or so) ate, drank, then hobbled out in 12 hours from the break. Looking back I like the hike, because I was challanged and rose to it AND bagged 2 14ers off my list. :D

The Escarpment trail solo 12/19/99-12/20/99. Started at Rt 23. Wasn't in the best of shape but I was getting married two weeks later and wanted to do something cool. On the way up Blackhead the cramps kicked in and it was a very painful day and a half. I was very worried at some points. Camped somewhere just N of Stoppel Point and then made it the next day to the Lakes. Very stupid move. Fortunately Mother Nature was nice to me - nothing but the best of weather and the snow wasn't deep enough to require snowshoes. When in shape though, the trail is pheonominal! (did I spell that wrong?)

Half Pemi hike from backcountry site half way up Bondcliff then over Bond, Guyout, Twin down past Galehead hut to 13 Falls and out to my car at Lincoln Woods in one day with a terrible case of tendonitis in my right knee at the begining of April without snowshoes on rotten snow, high river levels and more mud than I have ever seen in my life. That last 10 miles from 13 Falls to the car brought me to the verge of tears.