high peaks lean-to's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatest high peaks lean-to

• Wolf Jaws

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Panther Gorge

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Slide Brook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beaver Point

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Uphill Brook

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Flowed Lands

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Slant Rock

• Scotts Clearing

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Feldspar

• Bushnell Falls

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hardrain

Reaction score
I nominate the Wolf Jaws lean-to as the most beautiful in the high peaks. Maybe it was just because it was such a site for sore eyes, but that place is awesome!! Is there any other lean-to in the high peaks with such a beautiful surrounding environment? I want to see more!

I voted for Flowed Lands. Not the first one, or the second one without the floor (although you get a front row seat to watch the bear tear into the poorly hung bear bags on the cable behind it...) but the third one a little past the first two. Beautiful location, amazing views...

I havn't sampled all of them but I'd vote for Lake Colden for the lakefront property and the view. My next vote would go to Bradley Pond for the people I've run into there.

Last edited:
Ward Brook

I vote for Ward Brook even though it's not on the list. It is remote, has a cool western look to it and the message in the book about climbing in the Seward Range makes me laugh just thinking about it. The Flowed Lands ones have the best views though.

Duck Hole (up on the rise) is great! and, rhihn, it has snakes too! anyhow, awesome view during the day, and on a clear night the star-show is spectacular.

Uphill Brook gets my vote. Its proximity to so many peaks and flumes is key. But, it's also just far away enough from the summertime chaos at Lake Colden, Flowed Lands, and Marcy Dam. I stayed there for three nights August 2004, and two of them I was alone in the lean-to!!!

BUT, just because it's at 3300' doesn't mean there aren't any bears. On the third night, the place was packed (law of averages, right?) and a bear got every food bag, regardless of whether or not it was properly hung. I've already bought my cannister for the next trip.

-kalless

Flowed Lands

I agree with adkleaddog and jbrown, I think we are talking about the same one also, it's on a little hill facing the water with Colden and Avalanche Pass dominating your view.

The mountain is golden in the morning sun. Awesome

I voted Uphill off the list. First solo in the HPs. Had it to myself and was treated to a two hour heat lightning show capped by a Thor vs. Zeus thunder war. Lead to my first ascent of Skylight, which I had to myself for nearly two hours before the Marcy hordes made their way over.

Not on the list: The #4 Twins (just past Ward Brook) 2 of us had a great night there, used one for cooking and eating, and the other for our bedroom. Gotta love a lean-to with a hitching post for your horse or mule!

Best Outhouse?????

Jim B -

You did not mention the unique outhouse at Ward Brook. A tree fell on it over the winter of 2003 and when we stayed there last summer it was an "Open Air " experience with 3 of the 4 walls down. Since one side was entirely open, it even had a built in urinal. It also had a real toilet seat. Naturally , it did not smell and the view of the sky at night was great!!

Rocky Falls lean to on Indian Pass Brook, an easy hike to a very nice spot.

Been there . . .

Pete_Hickey said:
Any of you ever stay in that one at Marcy Dam?... the ENORMOUS one? It sleeps something like 25... You can fit two rows of people in that thing.
Many years ago, when we were young and frisky, Mrs. (Pretty) Grumpy and I headed out of the Loj parking lot, late, in a downpour. We arrived at Marcy Dam to find the leantos filled, but a bunch of Boy Scouts at one of the larger “group” shelters made room for us. Chivalry was not yet dead.

Anyhow, it turned out to be quite the experience for Pretty G, and for many (or all) of those pubescent boys, as she changed into dry clothes and got ready to bed down for the night. A lot of “don’t look” and “mind your own business” remarks got passed around between the kids, but some of them couldn’t quite control their giggles and other natural but nasty little impulses. Pretty G fooled and flummoxed even the most curious of them, though, with an absolutely stellar in-the-sleeping bag change act that was, for the cicumstances, a marvel of discretion and demureness. She is an amazing woman. We still laugh about that night, more than 30 years later.

Among the leantos listed in the poll, Beaver Point on Lake Colden would stand as my favorite. But for some reason we always liked the shelters up along and on the banks of the Opalescent in the Lake Colden area even better.

G.

Grumpy - You should write a book!!!

You have the best stories - you really should write a book about your experiences.

KZ:D