Highpoint: Arizona. Humphreys Peak (12,637 ft). September 18, 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Copied from our blogpost, http://www.trishalexsage.com/2011/09/highpoint-arizona-humphreys-peak-12637.html.

Accompanying pictures can be found there.

Humphreys Peak Trail. 9.5 miles roundtrip, about 3500 feet of elevation gain.

Our first high altitude hike!

Though both my girls are strong and adventurous, we approached this summit with kid gloves. Altitude sickness is no joke -- it can quickly lead to nasty things like High Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE) and High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE). Since I wanted to keep Alex and Sage healthy and happy, I insisted on a slow and careful acclimatization process. We proceeded as follows:

Day One: Drove to Humphreys Peak trailhead (9300 feet), hiked a couple tenths of a mile to 9500 feet, sat down and read for six hours. Descended and slept at about 7500 feet.

Day Two: Hiked Humphreys Peak trail to 10,200 feet, sat down, read for four hours. Girls moved all earthworms off our section of the trail and played in the dirt for two hours. Descended and slept at about 7500 feet.

Day Three: We wanted to hike to 11,400 feet and read/move earthworms, but a mile into our hike, the familiar trail disappeared underneath a zillion fallen trees. To me, it looked like a microburst occurred sometime between the time we left the area the day before and the time we arrived this morning. Massive fallen and twisted trunks and branches buried the trail. We climbed through what we could while I kept an eye on our surroundings above -- the trees had not yet finished falling. Quite a few leaned precariously over the trail, their root systems bobbing up and down in the newly loosened soil. We turned back without making much headway. The damage seemed to go on and on, the wind was high, and I worried we'd get smushed by an unstable tree. I drove to the nearby administrative offices of the neighboring ski area and reported the damage to the rangers. I was later told a tornado had actually touched down. Their web site calls it a "wind event." Whatever it was, it happened not long after we descended the day before.

Day Four: Hugh arrived the previous evening. We took him to see the damage, then we rode the ski lift up neighboring Agassiz Peak and hung out at 11,500 for a few hours. Sage started coughing -- sounded like a cold, there were no other symptoms.

Day Five: We rode up the ski lift again. I asked the medics up top about Sage's cough, they watched her run around and said it probably wasn't altitude related. They told me not to worry unless she exhibited other symptoms. We hiked up to 11,800 feet, read, ran around, and played all day.

Day Six: Summit Day!

We hit the trail not long after sunrise.

View from the meadow on the very first part of the trail...

The rangers had put up a sign warning hikers of the mess ahead.

We hiked cautiously through this section, which thankfully lasted a mere one or two tenths of a mile.

It was nice to find clear trail again.

Up up up...

Breaking out of the trees, one can see neighboring Agassiz and the top of the ski lift...

We reached 11,400 feet without any problems. Sage's cough was there, but infrequent. No one had a headache or felt dizzy -- we were all systems go.

Up...

Views from the saddle, about 11,800 feet...

We ate, we drank, we moved on...

There are three Evil False Summits on this hike. We knew this ahead of time and mentally prepared ourselves. Here, Sage contemplates the first.

Looking back after conquering two of the three.

Rounding the third and looking at the real summit of Humphreys Peak.

Approaching the summit!

Sage reached it first.

Alex caught up and the girls posed.

Hugh was next.

Views from the top of Arizona!

We hung out for about half an hour before beginning our descent. We took it slowly -- both girls were complaining of slight headaches.

The beautiful side of Agassiz...

We returned to our car safely; the headaches went away with the decrease in altitude. Both girls were happy and proud of themselves, and we ribbed Hugh about having been outdone by his six-year-old daughter (Hugh's first high altitude hike was Canada's 11,620 ft. Mt. Temple when he was eight -- Sage beat him by a thousand feet and a year and a half).

This was an enjoyable hike. The slow acclimatization process helped tremendously -- we'll do the same for future high altitude ascents.

Both girls want to continue this game, so we'll head west again next year and hopefully pick up New Mexico, Colorado, and perhaps Utah or Nevada. We had planned on trying New Mexico's Wheeler Peak this year, but Sage's cough turned into a full-blown, nasty cold and she was in no shape to hike the weekend we had planned on ascending Wheeler. Alex now has the same cold, so we're spending the last few days of our trip holed up in a low altitude hotel watching movies and drinking NyQuil.

Getting Higher !

Tremendouse going. I knew you could do it. That was a good way to acclimate. Hike high, sleep lower.
Looks like the trail crews will be busy.:)
Thanks for the report and the pictures.

TrailwrightBratt, thanks for your post.

Alex and I look forward to coming home and getting back to work on that Trailwrights list. :)

Wow! Look at you guys go! Love reading of your adventures! It's amazing what kids can do when they want to and are having FUN while doing it!! Looking forward to more of your adventures to come!!

Wow! Look at you guys go! Love reading of your adventures! It's amazing what kids can do when they want to and are having FUN while doing it!! Looking forward to more of your adventures to come!!

Thanks, Michelle! We're having a good time. Alex and Sage each have a few immediate and long-term hiking goals, so it looks like the adventures will continue for quite a while. :)

Incredible adventure, but that should be expected from y'all! :)

So it was a tornado that touched down. I still haven't been able to find anything about it, though I haven't checked in a couple days.

As usual, great post. I feel like I'm right there, accompanying you on your adventure!

So it was a tornado that touched down. I still haven't been able to find anything about it, though I haven't checked in a couple days.

Thanks, grouseking!

I'm not sure if it was a tornado -- two rangers told me they thought it was, based on the damage. One told me the "weather people" came to check it out and give their official statement. However, the website still calls it a "wind event," so perhaps the weather folks disagree with the rangers..?

Whatever it was, it missed us by perhaps an hour or two. Very glad we didn't end up underneath all those trees!

Congrats on another highpoint and another great report. Excellent pictures and it sounds like you have a good plan for next year as well. If you're faced with a choice between Utah and Nevada, I'd give Kings the edge for total backcountry experience. Of course, it's a two or three day trip instead of just one but Boundary is just a big, bare scree slope. Fun in its own right but not a whole lot to look at.

Awesome Trish! You have all definitely gone to another level. Glad that Sage was able to get by her ailment and better yet be the first one to make it to the top! I will never tire of seeing the joy on the girl's faces when they are in the mountains. So wonderful! Sorry that Wheeler got knocked off this year's list - but now it's just something else to look forward to.

Congrats on another highpoint and another great report. Excellent pictures and it sounds like you have a good plan for next year as well. If you're faced with a choice between Utah and Nevada, I'd give Kings the edge for total backcountry experience. Of course, it's a two or three day trip instead of just one but Boundary is just a big, bare scree slope. Fun in its own right but not a whole lot to look at.

That pretty much sums up Boundary. There's not much to commend it other than it's the highpoint to NV, which is a bit of an anomaly. The highest point on that ridge is White Mtn, a legitimate 14'er, and more interesting than Boundary, and for hikers much more often climbed. But, White Mtn is in California, south of Boundary, so it doesn't "count" for high point purposes.

Congrats to Trish, Sage, and Alex for reaching the top of Arizona! :)

I must inject a plug for Boundary Peak, however! I actually really enjoyed that one, especially the solitude of being the only one on the beautiful mountain after climbing Mt. Whitney a couple days before and dodging the hoardes. Unlike White Mtn. which is road all the way (and incredible bristlecone pines notwithstanding), on Boundary Peak there is trail and very basic route finding involved. And there is, obviously, a choice of routes - to say, one doesn't have to use the scree slope (although that was a blast to descend!). Anyway, I thought the Boundary area was great and actually liked it more than Kings Peak.

Congrats on another highpoint and another great report. Excellent pictures and it sounds like you have a good plan for next year as well.

Thanks, Puma concolor. This is a fun game. I was glad to feel like we had a handle on the whole acclimatization thing. Except for slight headaches everyone felt at about 12,200 feet (which went away with slower movement), everyone did well. This gives me confidence for next year's potential peaks.

Glad that Sage was able to get by her ailment and better yet be the first one to make it to the top! Sorry that Wheeler got knocked off this year's list - but now it's just something else to look forward to.

Thanks, Mark. On Humphreys, she just had a casual cough. The day before, it worried me because I thought it might be altitude sickness, but a medic told me he thought it was a virus (this was later confirmed by a doctor at a clinic). Sage was in fine shape to hike in Arizona. However, she became slightly worse the week after. Then, the day before our planned Wheeler ascent, she looked and acted normal and I thought she was better.

We ended up bailing the morning of our planned Wheeler ascent after Sage went from okay to bad to horrible in the span of 30 minutes at breakfast. I thought about carrying her up piggyback, but then quickly dismissed the idea. I can carry Sage or Alex down in the event of an emergency, but carrying Sage (or Alex) up and down as a planned method of ascent would not be fun for me. They're too big now, I'd wear myself out before I reached the the top. Also, and more importantly, I felt the best thing for Sage would be to descend and rest at low altitude. Though this is a virus and was not brought on by high altitude, allowing her body to get maximum oxygen seemed like a good idea. Thought maybe she'd get better a little faster.

Next year, for novelty's sake, we might ride up Wheeler on horseback. We discovered a stable that provides horseback rides to the summit during the summer -- they had closed for the season four days before we arrived. It would be fun to plan that for next year. Highpoint via horseback -- sounds like a blast. :)

That pretty much sums up Boundary. There's not much to commend it other than it's the highpoint to NV...

Congrats to Trish, Sage, and Alex for reaching the top of Arizona! :)

I must inject a plug for Boundary Peak, however! I actually really enjoyed that one, especially the solitude of being the only one on the beautiful mountain after climbing Mt. Whitney a couple days before and dodging the hoardes.

Thanks, Kevin and Stinkyfeet!

We looked into Boundary and almost chose that over Wheeler (not that it mattered, since illness prevented another summit after Humphreys). The girls like scree and unusual climbs, so they might have a good time on that one if we do it next year. As for Whitney, I'm not a fan of crowds either -- we've already decided that when we do that peak, we'll backpack up the less popular side. I hear that's a beautiful way to summit.

I'm very glad we have the Whites in our backyard. I feel they provide excellent training ground. Mileage and elevation gain for many of the western highpoints equal that to various routes up certain Four Thousand Footers. Humphreys felt like another 4K, except for the high altitude prep.

On Humphreys, she just had a casual cough. The day before, it worried me because I thought it might be altitude sickness, but a medic told me he thought it was a virus (this was later confirmed by a doctor at a clinic).
Dry and irritated throats are a frequent occurrence at altitude due to the dry air and heavier-than-normal breathing. Not necessarily a symptom of anything serious.

Some climbers use hard candy to keep their throats moist. Lemon flavor appears to be popular...

This may be more of an issue at higher altitudes than those found in the ConUS, but the treatment is pretty safe...

Doug

Dry and irritated throats are a frequent occurrence at altitude due to the dry air and heavier-than-normal breathing. Not necessarily a symptom of anything serious.

Some climbers use hard candy to keep their throats moist. Lemon flavor appears to be popular...

This may be more of an issue at higher altitudes than those found in the ConUS, but the treatment is pretty safe...

Doug

Thanks -- unfortunately, this was (and still is) a virus. Sage's cough continued at low altitude and got worse the following week. She still has it, though she is getting better, and Alex started a few days ago. :(

Congrats on making it to the top of Humphreys Peak. :)

I tried it myself this past June and had to turn back at around 12,200. I was hiking solo and did not give myself time to acclimate. I treated it like a White Mtn. day trip. I rented a car in Phoenix (1117'), drove north to the trailhead and just starting hiking.

I kept telling myself 'this trail is easy', but kept wondering why I couldn't catch my breath. Long story short, I turned back within sight of the summit when I noticed that the simple act of standing up caused my pulse to "flutter". On top of all that, I'd been fighting a pounding headache for most of the hike and a chilly wind was blowing above treeline and I didn't have enough wind protection with me.

While I knew what summit fever was, I had never experienced it before that trip. Even though I knew, deep down, that I probably would have died had I continued, I didn't want to turn back so close to my objective. I was in tears when I turned around, though some of that may have been due to a mix of early hypothermia and a lack of oxygen.

Five minutes after turning around, still above treeline with a long hike out ahead of me, I began to wheeze. I was born with asthma, but had grown out of it by the time I was 3. I'd never wheezed since then. Now, every breath was an adventure.

The hike down, which earlier in the day I thought would be quite easy, was extremely difficult because I was so overtired. Quite a few times, I fought the urge to just lay down and fall asleep, not quite sure if I'd wake up again. That's how far I had pushed myself.

I'd brought 3 quarts of water with me and was down to my last drop by the time I got back to the car.

Sometimes you don't get the chance to learn from your mistakes. I'm grateful that I got the chance to learn from that one.

Thanks -- unfortunately, this was (and still is) a virus. Sage's cough continued at low altitude and got worse the following week. She still has it, though she is getting better, and Alex started a few days ago. :(

Good job up there, I think you managed altitude with kids in a very good way.

''Prompt rétablissement'' to the girls !

Congrats on making it to the top of Humphreys Peak. :)

I tried it myself this past June and had to turn back at around 12,200. I was hiking solo and did not give myself time to acclimate. I treated it like a White Mtn. day trip. ... Sometimes you don't get the chance to learn from your mistakes. I'm grateful that I got the chance to learn from that one.

Thanks for writing such an honest account of your experience, Feldmarschal. We all learn from posts like yours. I'm glad you made it down safely.

If I had been on my own, I would have been tempted to do exactly what you did -- try the ascent right after I arrived in Flagstaff. Many do with no problems whatsoever; we met quite a few such people on Humphreys Peak Trail during our acclimatization period. One nice couple was from Vermont -- we saw them going up and coming down, got to speak with them both times. Wish I had gotten their names, hope to see them in the Whites sometime. They both fared well...but the woman's fingers had blown up like little balloons during the course of the day. Major swelling!! Other people aren't so lucky -- we met one lady who turned around because of a pounding headache that wouldn't go away.

I'm glad we took it slowly. With kids, I felt there was no other option. The thousand-feet-a-day approach worked well, we'll do the same for all future ascents.

Good job up there, I think you managed altitude with kids in a very good way.

''Prompt rétablissement'' to the girls !

Timmus, thanks -- and thank you for the info on this peak (and Guadalupe and Wheeler!)! I appreciate the beta, it was very useful! Are you going to post your own trip reports on those peaks? I'd love to read them!

Turns out it was indeed a tornado that did all that damage to the trail. The EF-2 hit the exact area we'd been using for acclimatization. We were at approximately 10,200 feet all day...left around 2pm, the tornado touched down around 5 or 5:30. :eek:

There were still three people on the summit when we left. I imagine those folks just missed getting caught in this thing...

http://www.kpho.com/story/15538683/tornado-strikes-northern-arizona-mountains

http://www.dblanchard.net/blog/tag/humphreys-peak/

Last edited:
Timmus, thanks -- and thank you for the info on this peak (and Guadalupe and Wheeler!)! I appreciate the beta, it was very useful! Are you going to post your own trip reports on those peaks? I'd love to read them!

Well, I haven't done Humphrey's yet, so you probably got the info from other vftt members ! :p

I hope I'll find time to write brief TR's for TX, NM, CO, NB, KS, OK, AR and LA HP'S, and put my pics on my website... I'm procrastinating, it's so bad :eek: :)

Well, I haven't done Humphrey's yet, so you probably got the info from other vftt members ! :p

I hope I'll find time to write brief TR's for TX, NM, CO, NB, KS, OK, AR and LA HP'S, and put my pics on my website... I'm procrastinating, it's so bad :eek: :)

:eek:

That's right, you gave me info for Guadalupe and Wheeler. Sorry about that. Thanks for the beta on Texas and NM!

Please post those TRs at some point -- would love to see the pictures. :)