Highpoint: Utah. Kings Pk (13 528 ft). July 20, 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmus

Reaction score
(I got inspired by Trish ;) )

First HP of our 2010 summer trip was Utah. Prior to this, we decided to climb Twin Pks (American Fork) near Salt Lake City for acclimatation (my first real 4th class experience, awesome).

Day 1 of our 3 days trip in the High Uintas Wilderness was a 10 miles approach (Henry's Fork TH), ending near Dollar Lake to spend the night. It's a pack trail, so it's very large, muddy, and busy with horses.

Day 2 started at 4AM with little nausea, we chose the Gunsight Pass alternative to go up. It's pretty easy path with just enough cairns. Very little scrambling, mostly hiking on large rocks. After getting back on the normal route the path is define all the way to the col below the summit.

5 hours after leaving our tent we reached the summit, we were happy to have it for ourselves.

For the return we went down the Anderson chute, a very steep scree slope just above 11 000'.

The whole trip was 9 hours, no rain except during the second night.

Day 3 was getting out of there early, and drive to Idaho.

Pics will come soon.

nice! can't wait for the pics!

lemme know when you want to do some class 5 stuff. :D

Thanks for sharing this. I love hiking in Utah but haven't been able to get out for a couple of years.

That being said, please post the pictures!

Thanks people, but really there's better stuff coming up (damn those TR and photo albums are so long to make :eek: )

Court, about class 5, I'm totally in. But, isn't a rope a bit of a turn off ? :D

Great photos Timmus! I did King's Peak a few years back by the same route (minus the scree chute!) and never saw another person for the whole three days! Did you have moose encounters at Dollor Lake? I have some amazing photos and videos of them hanging out right next to my tent!

Last edited:
No moose, and unfortunitely we did see a lot of people there. On our way out we passed by at least 20 people, many young guys guided trips, boy scouts kind of.

The chute was a totally new experience for me. Fun, but really tough on the knees !

OMG, Timmus! Beautiful! What are those yellow flowers? Thanks for posting the TR. I can't get enough of anything Utah right now because I'm moving there and I've never been out West.

Thanks!!!