Hike suggestions near Lake Placid

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrimarc

Reaction score
Hey all,

A bunch of us are going up to the Lake Placid area for our annual Cascade XC Ski Center Full Moon party on the 30th. We decided to make a long weekend of it and are going up Friday. I have been charged with finding a fun/interesting hike/snowshoe up there. We considered Avalanche Pass, but don't want to be gone that long. I am considering Scarface or McKenzie or Giant's Nubble, but i think i'd like to do something i haven't done yet either and Scarface has such a long approach i'm afraid i'll lose some of the guys interest. Everyone is fit, but many have little experience on snowshoes.

Any suggestions? We'd lke to be out a few hours.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Rob

Lots of options. You might think about Hurricane, Hopkins, Noonmark, Owls Head(the one off the north trail for Giant), Indian Head/Fish Hawk Cliff, or Pitchoff( either just to the first lookout of Lemon Squeezer, or a loop over all the bumps to a spotted car).

Weird, i think i just answered my own question...but i'll bounce it off the board...how far from Old Military Road NPT trailhead is Wanika Falls? Is that a reasonable dayhike? I have thru hiked the trail, but was apparently to exhaused to remember that distance.

Keep the suggestions coming tho!!!

Thanks

Rob

Three of my ski/snowshoe favorites, a couple already mentioned, are Owen/Winch/Copperas Ponds, the Jack Rabbit trail behind Pitchoff, and Copper Kiln Pond (Wilmington) from either end.

Having recently been to Hopkins, it's a really nice gem, one of my favorite smaller peaks in and around Keene and Keene Valley!

It is a pretty short hike from the Roostercomb trailhead up the Ranney Trail to the Mossy Cascade to the summit spur.... One can even XC ski the lower sections or perhaps all but the last .2 miles if you're good.

Jay

I just remembered Baxter. Not the Maine one, this one! :D

Basically the other side of 9N from Hurricane.

Amazing views towards the Johns Brook Valley, and other areas as well, for such a small mountain and short hike.

Good long walk out and back to the Falls. Likely that it might be trailbreaking all the way.

The Lake Placid locals often use the NPT in the winter for short out and back snowshoe/ski trips. On the weekends, it's not uncommon to see 1 or 2 groups going all the way to the falls.

There are always the nature trails on Brewster Peninsula; the trails start on either side of Howard Johnson’s. They lead out to Lake Placid Lake and, if you cross the dam, Whiteface Inn.

10125_1109431616582_1250583159_30279164_2187_n.jpg