Hike suggestions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bills328

Reaction score
I have hiked 26 of the ADK high peaks, all as day hikes, but the only trailless mountains have been Nye, Street, Iroquois and Gray. Last week I hiked from the Loj to Gray to Skylight to Marcy and back to the Loj. How would the Dix range compare to that hike in difficulty? I know the milages and elevation gains and such, but I am unsure of how they would compare since I am sure that the trail through the Dixes is much more rugged. Are there other trailless peaks that you would suggest I try first (not including Tabletop)?

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

bills328 said:
I have hiked 26 of the ADK high peaks, all as day hikes, but the only trailless mountains have been Nye, Street, Iroquois and Gray. Last week I hiked from the Loj to Gray to Skylight to Marcy and back to the Loj. How would the Dix range compare to that hike in difficulty? I know the milages and elevation gains and such, but I am unsure of how they would compare since I am sure that the trail through the Dixes is much more rugged. Are there other trailless peaks that you would suggest I try first (not including Tabletop)?

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

A hike to all 5 Dixes is comparable to the Gray/Skylight/Marcy hike you did. The herd paths on the Dixes are well-defined and easy to follow. Once you are on the first peak, usually either Macomb or Dix depending on what direction you go, it's a quick and easy hike between the other peaks. The peaks are also beautiful! Have fun.

mike1889 said:
A hike to all 5 Dixes is comparable to the Gray/Skylight/Marcy hike you did. The herd paths on the Dixes are well-defined and easy to follow. Once you are on the first peak, usually either Macomb or Dix depending on what direction you go, it's a quick and easy hike between the other peaks. The peaks are also beautiful! Have fun.
Mike's comments are true, unless there is 3 feet of snow on the ground! Then, you must be a good map/compass/terrain/gps navigator...

That's great news since I did Redfield, Skylight & Marcy a couple of years ago from the Loj & am planning on doing the Dix's in a couple of weeks.

Bring water on the Dix hike, particulaly on a warm day. Not a lot up there and you will use if it's warm. I agree, the two hikes are comparable.

Thanks for your advice and encouragement. I have a few more questions.

I have never started from the Elk Lake trailhead before. Coming from I-87, are there any motels where I can spend the night that are on the way to the trailhead?

Also, are there signs on all of the summits? Thanks in advance,

Steve

camping

this particular area is a pretty quiet as far as hotel opportunities. Most of the old motels in the area are defunct. If you're coming from I-87 North Hudson exit I would recommend the Blue Ridge Falls Campsite on the right about a mile from the exit on Blue Ridge Road. The Elk Lake Road is just down the road.
This is a great hike.

I was there last June and every summit had a yellow disk marking the summit. Grace, Carson had their names written on them. Macomb had a summit sign and Hough just had yellow disk with no writing.

one more confirming opinion...

bills328 -

Having done both recently, I think these hikes are similar in both ascent, distance, time and difficulty. Forget the notion of "trailless", the herd paths are beaten in, well-defined and easy to follow. If I were you, water would be my only concern but there is usually water between S. Dix and Pough (the bump between S. Dix and Hough).