Hike with the pup, suggestions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikingBryan

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm planning on heading up North for a hike with Stella (the chocolate adventure lab) this Saturday, pending weather whish is looking good as of now. This will be Stella's first 4k, and I am considdering the following mountains:

Hale
Eisenhower
Jackson

All of the above are new to me, hence my wanting to tag them. That said, I want to avoid any sketchy stream crossings and/or major scrambles as Stella is still new to the hike... I want this to be fun for both of us.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Bryan

There is a short, but definitely sketchy, scramble to get to the top of Jackson.

Hale has less distance and less elevation gain than Eisenhower. Both, best I can recall, have no difficulties.

There are some scrambles on Jackson . IMHO, for an inexperienced pup who's owner wishes to bring her along slowly, that might be what you would consider sketchy. How old is Stella? What other stuff has she hiked?

Eisenhower via Edmunds Path is a very nice, gentle route. Just some climbing up the final pitches of Ike, and lots of new trailwork. That might be fine for her, but its difficult for me to say, without knowing what other hiking she's done.

IIRC there is only one brook crossing on the Hale Brook Trail and it was easy when I did it. There is also going up via Lend a Hand, for a slightly longer adventure.

:)

*certainly not an expert, just a girl who likes to hike with her dog. :)

If I were hiking with a large breed dog younger than 1 year, I would personally stick to something no longer than Hale via Halebrook. We hiked recently with a four month old lab pup, and he only had about a mile of gentle trail behind him before his owners called it a day for him and headed back.

Last edited:
Leo's 5 months old now and his biggest hike has been 9 miles (Kearsarge via the Lincoln Trail). It's gentle all the way, but he got noticeably tired as we returned. He gets at least a couple of hours exercise every day. And he sticks close in the woods (fingers crossed), unlike Genie who dashed back and forth and quadrupled her mileage.

I'd be OK with taking Stella up Hale if she's been on a 5 or 6 mile hike already.

Thanks All,

Stella is 5.5 months, and gets regular workouts. She has hiked 5 miles but with minimal elevation gain. She has stamina and is stocky/strong.

Seems like Hale may be the best bet for us this weekend...

I've never been against turning back before summit. Stella will learn the same, and if she gets whooped I'll bring her down.

Chester is a german shepherd/lab puppy and did the Hale + Zealand Falls loop - 8.2 miles when he was 5 months. He passed out @ the top of Hale (which has almost no view in case you didn't know). He has done a handful of close to 10 mile hikes and regularly runs 2-5 miles w/my wife, and seems to love it... although it might be argued that if a dog has to sleep during the hike, it is too long for him/her. (I've read all the other discussions on this topic).

A reminder, thats it is hunting season and an orange doggy vest is an important peice of equipment.

Thanks All,

Stella is 5.5 months, and gets regular workouts. She has hiked 5 miles but with minimal elevation gain. She has stamina and is stocky/strong.

Seems like Hale may be the best bet for us this weekend...

I've never been against turning back before summit. Stella will learn the same, and if she gets whooped I'll bring her down.

At that age Stella is not going to have any problems going up Hale. As I remember there are no ledges on that trail. But, as a general rule of thumb a pup that age should not be doing any jumping off ledges so keep that in mind for other hikes. Simply avoid any jumping or jolting that could damage the unsolidified growth plates.

Hale it is!

Stella is sporting a new yellow pack as not the be mistaken for game. Should be fun. We aim to be at the trailhead near 9:30-9:45AM for what we hope to be a fun first 4K.

BK