Hiker Falls into Tuckerman Crevasse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very wise man once told me, the most overused and overvalued question is Why?

sierra, that is a a great quote. Its true that asking why wont change the outcome of in incident but it could prevent others in the future so there is always some value in asking why.

sierra, that is a a great quote. Its true that asking why wont change the outcome of in incident but it could prevent others in the future so there is always some value in asking why.

I think the answer would be very close to the reason you were up on Wildcat E the same day. ;) Probably had something to do with the fact that he thought the area is the most spectacular place in the world, considering the amount of travel and trekking he'd done, that statement carries quite a bit of weight. Similar to the same reason we all go up into those mountains, knowing full-well the dangers that can arise at almost any time.

The MWSP blog has more info and pictures (some from Kevin of Kevin Judy and Emma) today:

http://blog.nhstateparks.org/?p=2305

Odd that this story DOES name the "open book" waterfall, with the snow bridge, as the place where he fell. Whereas other articles have been saying differently.

The blog also links to another article from boston.com

http://articles.boston.com/2012-04-06/metro/31294700_1_light-snow-hike-brother

edit2: The link to boston.com seems to be the full article from the Globe?

Last edited:
In this case this gentleman was no stranger to the terrain and had years of experience. I dont understand why the didnt descend lions head ? Maybe they were looking for a bit of a challenge?

As a possible answer your questions, I was reminded of the book Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales. Some items paraphrased from the book:

• Instant decisions to act are made through a system of "emotional bookmarks" based on our past experiences. Mental modeling is each individual's personal stripped-down schematics of the world. When an accident does occur we sometimes say "What were they thinking?". They often weren't, the system operates without thinking needed.
  • We operate by trying to predict the future. We construct an expected world in our minds because we simply cannot handle the complexity of the present one. The human brain is particularly well-suited to making complex plans with an emotional component. To the brain, the future is as real as the past. The difficulty begins when the reality doesn't match our preconceived plan. Human interaction in a familiar environment is a continuous dynamic control task that does not involve conscious decision-making or risk assessment. Experienced alpine climbers often die when they get too comfortable with their environment or incorrectly anticipate expected future events.

I firmly believe the theories posed by Mr. Gonzalez. I have been in the construction business for 33 years and have experienced firsthand over the years many unexpected injuries of seasoned, experienced workers. I see a very close correlation between construction and mountaineering accidents and more times than you would expect, it's the person with the years of experience who gets hurt due to judgment errors that you would think they would know to avoid. "He should have known better". Mr. Priebatsch had been there numerous times and knew the terrain. All I know is that he knew he was in heaven.

May peace be with you Mr. Priebatsch.

"Deep Survival" is a great read, and indeed does help us understand why we do the things we do. I especially appreciated the "vacation state of mind" that brings to us lapses in our judgment. From what I read of the story on this good man's memorial service, it sounds as though he was a bit of a rebel and rule breaker, sailing under bridges because he could and having the sailing club officials come chasing after him.

The question that's been asked here of why he wasn't coming down Lions Head is answered by the fact that they had planned to go skiing. Not hiking. The conditions weren't good for them to be skiing so they decided to hike up the bowl instead.

Although "experienced," did they have the gear experienced people would have to be where they were? Had they climbed too high, not realizing how much easier it was to hike up than it would be for them to get back down safely?

I know I've seen folks hiking up there during the Tucks ski season who had to be rescued because they had kept going up then realized they were in an unsafe situation and called for help.

I do not want to sound heartless. This was a horrible accident that happened to a good man who was doing good things in his life. Yet, really, he seemed to like to be on the edge of things and had other close encounters. The story about his memorial said he would do a thing first and then apologize later if wrong. That line of thinking doesn't always work out.

I'm sure his life ended too early for anyone who knew him and that the hole he left is a huge one.

The story about his memorial said he would do a thing first and then apologize later if wrong. That line of thinking doesn't always work out.

I wouldn't read too much into that line from the article in his memory. I took it as merely a paraphrase of the increasingly popular maxim: "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission", which I have seen attributed to the late Rear Admiral Grace Hopper.

In regards to discussing accidents on a forum like this, I agree with you.

State Park Article by Mike Pelchat

Many of you will probably already know most of this information, but there is some new light shed (for me, anyway) on the situation in Tuckerman. As a side note; I know through conversation with Mike that the last shot in the article, the one of the rainbow, was taken by Mike as he led the family of Peter Shintani (#142 on the death list) down from the summit to his final resting spot off the Lion Head Trail. The skies cleared and the rainbow appeared as he stood near the spot with the man's family so they could see where he had died. Make of it what you will...

http://blog.nhstateparks.org/?p=2305

KDT

DougPaul - thanks for posting - glad his family/friends could have closure - must have been terribly difficult waiting...

DougPaul - thanks for posting - glad his family/friends could have closure - must have been terribly difficult waiting...

Agree. I've been thinking about this and am happy for the family that the wait is over.

Separately I'm a little surprised they went in after him. I'm glad the recovery team is okay.