Hikers on Lafayette

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mohamed Ellozy said:
Some believe that seat belts should always be fastened; others do not.

Pesonally, I relate to this analogy!
I work in a Level One Trauma center and I care for many belted vs non-belted trauma victims.
In most cases, the belted driver has one up on the non-belted.
Yes, there are a few cases where one can say the belt "trapped" the victim, but this is not the norm. It can make the difference between being a survivor vs. being an organ donor.
I want to be as prepared as I can be for the "unexpected" in those mountains, bearing in mind that there are no guarantees, anymore than there are with seat belts. All the same, it might give me a fighting chance. As someone mentioned, you can always ditch the gear if you absolutely have to.
There are times when I have not fastened my belt but as I drive away the thought inevitably comes "you choose the behavior, you choose the consequences". This will inevitably help me to come to my senses and fasten it. I will have that same mantra when I am packing my pack in the future.
I have learned a lot from all of you and I am grateful for the sharing of knowledge and opinions. Once again, I extend my deepest symathy to all who have lost loved ones.
Maddy

My 28 in. inseam and I...

...don't have plan B's that call for 5 mile mad dashes down the mountain in under 2 hours, through a blizzard. I'll be carrying a bivy in places like that.

Mike

Last edited:
On Sunday night the snow cave the Cox's were in was so small that they both couldn't fit inside. Russ was on the outside of the cave and took the brunt of those conditions trying to shelter her. That must've been an utterly black and terrifying night.

On Monday they tried to hike out but his feet were in such bad shape that he couldn't walk out. Conditions were terrible again so they decided to wait for a break in the weather and hope for rescue. I can't imagine the thoughts that ran through their minds as they realized that they'd be spending another night on that summit.

According to the family a photo on the summit showed that they were both well dressed for a winter dayhike.

My heart goes out to Russ and his family.

Kevin Rooney said:

Frosty -

I wasn't aware the AMC's Board of Directors reviewed such issues.

Kevin

It's hell to get old. My son keeps telling me that there are no albums any more. Only CD's.

When I said AMC board, I meant AMC forum. "Board" is short for bulletin board, a primitve form of messaging back before Internet explorer or Netscape Navigator. Anyone remember Mosaic? Archie searches? Anyone else here start off with a 150 bit (yes bit, not Kb) modem attached to their Sinclair 2K RAM computer back in the early 80's?

<sigh>

Frosty

Define Light and Fast

Will someone define what is acceptable Light and Fast gear when traveling above treeline in the Whites in winter? When I dayhike above treeline in winter I carry a 3000 cu in pack. I carry extra layers of fleece and wool for torso and legs, extra gloves, extra insulated head gear, a face mask, a thermos of hot tea, sometimes another thermos of hot soup, an emergency bivy sack, and a small insulating pad. If I'm solo I'll go with a bigger pack and add a sleeping bag, and a full length insulating pad. I don't carry a stove or full blown tent on a day hike. If not carrying a stove and tent makes me light and fast then I'd agree with the idea. If you fail to carry any of the other gear above treeline I don't think that you are traveling light and fast, I think that you are traveling unprepared.

I would like to clarify that I am not a proponent of carrying minimal gear. Judging by the responses, it seems unanimous to be prepared. What you carry is an individual decision - one guy might be happy with a pad & bivy sack, the next guy might also want a sleeping bag, someone else might want all of these plus a stove & fuel, then a tent, etc... Clothing options are limitless. At some point, one must weigh (pun intended) the options and come to a balance between what gear you will carry that will still allow you to complete your route within a safe & reasonable time window.

I'm bothered by people second guessing the Cox's equipment and decisions. Had they walked out on their own on Monday, they'd be receiving accolades on how well they did to survive Sunday night. The second night, in meager shelter, proved to be too much for Mrs. Cox.

Periwinkle said:
....Mrs. Cox had already died, said Pelchat, who was part of the rescue crew that found the Coxes. When she was found, she was wearing summer hiking boots, wind pants and a medium weight coat with parts of her skin exposed, said Pelchat.....

Mike Pelchat was not with the initial rescue team - he arrived after Russell had been airlifted and after we had pulled Brenda from the rock 'cave'. His statement about exposed skin refers to skin between Brenda's mittens and coat sleeves. What he is probably unaware of is that there were also overmitts with her body. Her boots were light boots, no doubt, but that's not what made the difference between life & death. IMO, the lack of adequate shelter was the deciding factor, not what they were wearing.

Frosty said:

It's hell to get old. My son keeps telling me that there are no albums any more. Only CD's.

When I said AMC board, I meant AMC forum. "Board" is short for bulletin board, a primitve form of messaging back before Internet explorer or Netscape Navigator. Anyone remember Mosaic? Archie searches? Anyone else here start off with a 150 bit (yes bit, not Kb) modem attached to their Sinclair 2K RAM computer back in the early 80's?

<sigh>

Frosty

Started off on an Altair 8800 in about 1977 -- got into "boards" via Fidonet and Relaynet, ChannelOne BBS in Boston, )(evious in Framingham.

That's my geek contribution to this board for the year :D

Question to all

I was wondering about this: Brenda is very petite (4' 11'', 100 lbs) and Russ is large (~6 Ft, 220 lBs). Is it possible that she could have "slipped into" his clothes with him? Would that have helped? Were the conditions so bad as to prevent this?

In the SOLO Wilderness First Aid course they teach that external warming from body heat (getting into sleeping bags together, etc) does little good for the victim due to lack of heat transfer. And is potentially harmful to the rescuer by making them cool off quicker and limiting their movement.

The recommendation from the course is to not attempt body to body warming.

-dave-

Re: Question to all

soxfan said:
I was wondering about this: Brenda is very petite (4' 11'', 100 lbs) and Russ is large (~6 Ft, 220 lBs). Is it possible that she could have "slipped into" his clothes with him? Would that have helped? Were the conditions so bad as to prevent this?

I'm 6'5" 240# and I don't think anyone, no matter how small, could fit into my clothes with me. I bought 'em to fit me, and they don't flop around loose.

Frosty

More info

Here's a story today from Boston Globe, in which Russell Cox was interviewed and explains what happened:

Hiker says wrong turn in poor weather cost wife her life
By Theo Emery, Associated Press, 3/29/2004 18:06

BOSTON (AP) Brenda and Russell Cox were married outdoors in the Vermont mountains seven years ago with a layer of new-fallen snow around them. Last Monday night, after the couple took shelter from a storm in a mountaintop cave in New Hampshire, Russell Cox reached for his wife, and felt that she had stopped shivering and her skin was cold.

''Brenda died doing what she loved to do, and I think that that makes me happy,'' Cox said Monday at Massachusetts General Hospital, where he's been since rescuers found him last Tuesday outside the snowy cave where his wife died in the night.

Cox spoke to reporters Monday, a wedding photo propped on a nearby table, along with the New Hampshire Fish and Game official who led the search for the couple, the stepson who alerted authorities they were missing and Russell Cox's physician, Dr. John Schulz.

Schulz said Cox could stay in the hospital as long as two weeks, while doctors wait to see the extent of the frostbite damage to his toes, feet, chest and fingertips.

''For Mr. Cox, it's still quite early. We're very encouraged by how his injuries have come along in the last few days, but it's quite early ... to make a prognosis for what the extent of tissue injury will be to his feet,'' Schulz said.

Under New Hampshire law, Russell Cox could be required to reimburse the state for the cost of the two-day search that eventually rescued him from the mountain ridge where he and his wife spent two nights last week, said New Hampshire Fish and Game Lt. Todd Bogardus. The state is looking into that possibility, he said.

Cox, 43, an engineer who designs computer chips for a North Shore company, spent the night of March 20 with his wife at a bed and breakfast before the two drove to Franconia the next morning, to the same trail they hiked about a year ago, he said.

''My wife and I have spent a number of weekends hiking in the White Mountains,'' he said. ''We enjoy hiking in the winter: the trails are less crowded, the water is always fresh and cold, the scenery is always beautiful.''

It was a roughly 10-mile loop to the summit of Mt. Lafayette, south along a ridge, over Mt. Lincoln and Little Haystack Mountain, and down Falling Waters Trail to the parking lot. The two had monitored the weather, brought food and were prepared for poor weather, he said.

They were on the Old Bridle Path by about 8:30 a.m. By about 11 a.m., they reached a hut part way up and met hikers who said the weather was turning sour. They decided to hike to the summit of Mt. Lafayette, then turn around, Russell Cox said.

After they reached the top, they turned around and began back down. But in the worsening weather, they chose the wrong trail, heading north. They strained to see the rock piles marking the trail through the whirling snow and wind.

The realized they had gone the wrong way when they reached a junction slightly less than a mile down the trail. By then, they could see almost nothing, their ski goggles frosted over and the 75 mph winds tearing at them.

They built a snow cave and spent a relatively comfortable night. But when they emerged early the next morning, the weather had barely improved, and as they continued down the trail that they hoped would bring them to the highway, their damp clothes froze on their bodies.

Unable to find their snow cave, they crawled into a rocky nook, lying back to back so that Russell Cox shielded Brenda Cox from the weather. They talked into the night, but in time, she fell silent, and her husband knew she was dead.

He crawled from the cave the next morning to find a brilliantly clear and warm morning. He managed to flag down the helicopter, which spotted him after several passes and airlifted him to safety, he said.

''I have the greatest memories of Brenda from the years we spent together, because we had a wonderful relationship,'' Cox said, fighting back tears. ''Brenda and I loved each other very much, and I'm very happy that we were together at the end.''

Last edited:
David Metsky said:
In the SOLO Wilderness First Aid course they teach that external warming from body heat (getting into sleeping bags together, etc) does little good for the victim due to lack of heat transfer. And is potentially harmful to the rescuer by making them cool off quicker and limiting their movement.

The recommendation from the course is to not attempt body to body warming.

-dave-

I was not aware of this new change- thanks. The US Coast Guard, along with hypothermia.org, still recommend body to body warming in addition to body core warming techniques for those that cannot be transported to medical care immediately. They say, "Provide rescuer's body heat. When wrapped together in a blanket or sleeping bag, a rescuer can donate body heat to a hypothermic patient. This technique is not without risk however, since slow external rewarming in this way may aggravate the frequency of abnormal heart beats. It should only be used when there will be a long delay in transporting the patient to a site of complete medical care."

I wonder if their recommendations will change or if there will be a schysm of sorts emerging.

-Charlie

Follow Up Boston Globe Article

Tragic fate met on a mountain

Frostbitten spouse recounts errors that killed wife on hike
By Mac Daniel, Globe Staff, 3/30/2004

Dressed and equipped for just a 9-mile day hike over the summit of three New Hampshire peaks, Russell and Brenda Cox kept heading up toward the summit of the first, Mount Lafayette, even after descending hikers warned that conditions were deteriorating. When the Andover couple finally decided to turn back, Russell Cox said yesterday, they headed down the wrong trail.

That last error, on March 21, led to the Andover couple getting trapped near the summit for nearly 48 hours in a late-winter storm.

Sitting in a hospital wheelchair next to a framed photograph from his wedding seven years ago, Cox, 43, yesterday recounted the critical hiking mistakes that led to his wife's final, shivering moments in a cave near the Mount Lafayette summit.

At times tearfully, Cox spoke at length about the experience during a news conference at Massachusetts General Hospital, where he is being treated for frostbite and hypothermia.

Brenda Cox, also 43, was unresponsive when rescuers used a helicopter to rescue the two from the mountainside. She was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital. Her funeral was scheduled for this morning in North Billerica.

Also present yesterday was a New Hampshire Fish & Game official, who said the fatal hiking trip on the 5,260-foot peak is under investigation by his agency and the New Hampshire attorney general's office. Under a 1999 law, Cox could be charged with negligence and required to pay thousands of dollars for the cost of his rescue.

"In my opinion, it was a case of a failure to turn," said Lieutenant Todd Bogardus of New Hampshire Fish & Game, who initiated the two-day rescue operation. "Upon trying to summit on Mount Lafayette, there may have been a period when they should have made a different decision and turned to go back."

The Coxes did not bring a sleeping bag, a tent, or a stove on their day hike, items that Fish & Game officials said could have saved Brenda's life. They were not wearing any insulating layers of clothing, nor did they leave an itinerary with anyone before leaving the trailhead.

Asked about the investigation, Cox said he hadn't thought about it.

"It doesn't concern me," said Cox, whose fingertips were still purple from frostbite. "I'm very happy to be alive. I miss Brenda with all my heart and I'm glad she lived the active life that she lived and that she died doing what she loved."

Cox said he and his wife hiked the White Mountains on numerous occasions before traveling to the Lafayette Campground on March 21 to take a popular day-hike loop that runs over the summits of Mount Lafayette, Mount Lincoln, and Mount Haystack before returning to the parking lot.

When the couple reached Greenleaf Hut en route to the first summit, descending hikers there told them conditions were deteriorating on Mount Lafayette. Despite the news, the couple continued climbing.

After being told by more hikers returning from the summit that conditions were "too bad," Cox said he and his wife decided to curtail their route and return after reaching the Mount Lafayette summit, skipping the other two peaks.

A group of ascending hikers from Quebec passed them as they neared the treeline, Cox said, and before he and his wife reached the summit, they met the same group descending, saying the conditions were worsening. Now above treeline, Russell and Brenda Cox decided to turn around and head back to the parking lot, but they mistakenly headed down the wrong trail. With the wind picking up and snowfall becoming heavier, the couple quickly lost sight of the cairns -- the rock piles that mark the trail routes on the bleak, treeless mountainside.

"We would forage in one direction, return to the trail, forage in another direction, look around, see if we could see the trail marker, return to the trail, and eventually we were able to follow the cairns all the way down to this junction," Cox said, using a map to show his route.

When they unexpectedly reached a trail junction, he said, "we realized something was wrong."

With their ski goggles frosted over and conditions worsening, they carved a cave in a large drift of snow and decided to wait out the storm. There, out of the wind, the couple huddled together Sunday night, hugging and talking.

"We were in a position where we could hug each other, and I remember I could get up close to Brenda's neck and breathe real slowly against her carotid artery and it would warm her up," Cox said. "And we just talked about everything. We talked about everything except for the possibility that we weren't going to make it."

The next morning, despite little change in the weather, the couple left the snow cave. But their clothes had become damp, he said, and the high winds and freezing temperatures froze the outer layers, making the couple immediately uncomfortable.

They returned to find their snow cave had drifted over, Cox said, and after finding a shallow rock shelter, Brenda Cox crawled into its deepest part, and he turned his back to her "to protect her," bracing his legs against rock.

"We could talk to each other, but we were not facing each other," Cox said. "During the middle of the night we were both shivering a lot. The shivers would come and go. And we were talking. And at one point she stopped moving, and I could see her legs were right behind me. And when I put my hand on her legs, they were no longer warm and she had just stopped moving altogether."

"At that point, I realized it was out of my hands and I just had to keep thinking positive."

Cox said he tried to get up and walk, was overcome with nausea, and returned to the cave.

"I just sat and waited," he said, "either to join Brenda or to be rescued."

A few hours later, Cox said, he heard the helicopter overhead that would rescue him.

© Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company.

[end news article, begin Peter Miller comments]

Even with their lack of insulating clothes, their ignoring the warnings of three parties while pushing on to the summit, their failure to use a compass (or correctly read it) exiting the summit, the Coxes could have extricated themselves from their dilemma by turning left down the Skookumchuck Trail when they reached that junction. This trail would quickly have dropped them below treeline. IMO, it is the easiest, most sheltered route up/down Lafayette. Even if less packed down, it offered an immediate bailout. Getting off the ridge and out of the wind is a no brainer. Why didn't the Coxes descend Skookumchuck?

They could not have been hypothermic that early on. Even if the trail signs had been obscured with snow, they should have known which trail this was and the basic facts about it from prior experience or pre-hike prep. Did they not choose it because it wouldn't bring them back to their car? The more I learn about this tragedy, the more plausible this possibility seems. These unfortunate souls seem to have been woefully unprepared for the challenge they took on in nearly every way conceivable.

On that Sunday we were just up the road attempting to climb Peak Above the Nubble. Although it snowed all day, wind and cold were not a factor at those lower elevations. I too don't understand the decision not to descend Skookumchuck, which would have given instant shelter.

Ask, analyze, but don't critisize

A very experienced climber once told me that the difference between an epic and a disaster is that you survive an epic. We in the community of climbers and hikers tend to admire those people that accept the challenges the outdoors offers and push to accomplish their goals. When we gather as a group we love to share "war stories" of the challenges we faced and the close calls we have had. Had things been slightly different Brenda would be sharing her story with us, maybe even at the next VFFT gathering.

The Cox's tragedy and Ken Holmes tragedy both hit home for me, because either one of those stories could have involved myself or a close friend. These instances were more about being in the wrong place at the wrong time rather than blatant error. It's always easy to say "they should have done this, they should have done that" from the comfort and warmth of your own home. They should have carried more gear, they should have turned around sooner, they should have carried a GPS, they should have stayed home and watched reality TV instead, blah, blah blah..... Hindsight is a wonderful thing. When the proverbial sh*t hits the fan, you don't always make the best and most logical decision, especially when survival is your top priority. I can honestly say that I have been there myself. Have you?

No problem going down skookumchuck if you know it or have read the trail description. Since it was 180 degrees in the opposite direction of their planned hike, getting info on a trail 3/4 of a mile out of your way doesn't make sense. (Those of us who have been on it know that shelter was close at hand in the trees, also staying on Garfield Ridge would have also broght them into the trees.) In a white out you wouldn't know if treeline was close by or a mile away.

From one interview it looks like they had little more than mid-weight clothing & G-Tex. not extra insulating layers, regardless if you carry a stove & full tent & sleeping bags, extra insulating layers should be part of a winter day pack.

As far as Mike Pelchat's remarks, he does a lot of SAR & sadly for Mike has seen too many of these accidents. If Russell's feet had not been frostbitten they may have pushed farther down the Skookumchuck trail as the thought of extra walking in maybe the wrong direction would not have been so awful a thought for someone with warm feet. The fact that they pushed beyond the hut & more importantly (as there is some cover above the hut) out above the trees & to the summit in those conditions was the chief culprit. Had hiked in winter, had been there before, no view to be had & in fact it was the first full day of spring, if season bagging, they could have gone back on Flag Day in June as a Spring Hike.

One thing I will take away from this though is next time I head to the Northern Presidentials where my knowledge of trails other than the major trails is sparse, I'll read those descriptions so that if I plan on doing Adams & Madison but find myself at the junction of Gulfside & The Israel Path in poor conditions, I'll know if that is a good escape or if I should find the Spur trail or Randolph Path. Before this week I would not have read up on those trails for a hike planned for Lowe's, Gulfside & Valley Way, they are not really near where I'm going. However, if I'm not near where I planned on going, I better know how to get back home.

Skookumchuck decision

Why the Coxes didn't choose to descend Skookumchuck is a mystery. If you are not familiar with the Skookumchuck trail then you don't know how quickly it descends below treeline. With poor visibility and high winds assaulting them they may have "guessed" that the Skook would expose them to another 20-45 minutes of punishing weather before reaching treeline. It's about 30 - 40 minutes from the summit of Lafayette to treeline via Greenleaf, their intended trail. It's also possible that they couldn't see the first cairns on Skook but could discern the next cairn on the Garfield Ridge Trail. For unclear reasons, they decided to continue following roughly along the Garfield Ridge Trail for another 0.1 mile before finding an area to construct a snowshelter. Shortly beyond that point the Garfield Ridge Trail also begins descending below treeline. I can only assume that they had never hiked this section of Franconia Ridge and were unaware of how close they were to getting below treeline and out of the maelstrom via either Skook or Garfield Ridge Trail. Instead of continuing to hike unfamiliar terrain in the gale they decided their best short term strategy was to retreat into a snowcave, protected from the weather.

From the New Hampshire Fish and Game Newsroom:
Under New Hampshire law (RSA 153-A:24), search and rescue missions are reviewed to determine whether there was recklessness involved. If such a determination is made, the person rescued may be held liable and be billed to cover the cost of the rescue. The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department will not request reimbursement of expenses associated with the rescue of Russell Cox.

There are some awfully good people on this website and this is a difficult subject because people like us made mistakes that cost them their lives. As has been said here many of us have faced similar challenges and survived them. The difference between a tragedy and an epic, indeed.
I offer encouragement to those seeking all the details to learn the mistakes that were made while endorsing those who say criticism is unwarranted. I think most people here feel the same way.
For all the mistakes made, some good decisions were made under the circumstances. Prolonged dangerous conditions defeated their survival efforts. We must always be mindful that that can happen. It's not always a squall. Sometimes, it's a front, sometimes an unexpected confluence ("Perfect Storm," the Coxes), sometimes a rarely seen atmospheric situation (Ken Holmes), some peaks are known for their chaos (Lafayette, Washington, Madison).
The most amazing, telling and important post I've seen is from another hiker on a nearby peak who sat in clear weather and watched the tempest on Lafayette. When someone asks you what's the weather in the White Mountains?" The answer is, "Where specifically in which 15 minute interval."
Russell Cox is remarkably at peace with what happened, from the tone of the interviews. They loved each other, fought it together, talked about everything, shivered together and he was ready to go with her but the dawn brought sunshine and no wind and he was rescued.
God bless us all, we could be talking about anyone of us.

My only advice -- downhill is almost always better. When people say things can change fast in the Whites, change for the better happens fastest going below treeline. And, heed every warning. Serious, experienced people are telling you what's best for you. The mountain will be there tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hiking a long exposed ridge like Franconia Ridge, it's a good idea to turn around and check the weather behind you every 10 or 15 minutes. Particularly when hiking southbound, some nasty weather can creep up on you pretty quickly. If you see it coming, you might be able to outrun it to Falling Waters or retreat back down to OBP. Same idea for exposed hikes like a Presi traverse.