Hikes in Crawford Notch?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
I'll be camping there this weekend with my 8 year-old son. He's hiked in the WMNF before and loves it. We've done Mt. Willard three or four times and are looking for another trail in Crawford Notch. We did Arethusa Falls last year and have it on our list to do again. I've also got a few others in mind. So, do any of you on VFTT have any personal favorites in Crawford Notch that can take up a good part of the day?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I had a good hike last Sunday on an Avalon-Field-Tom loop which starts behind the Crawford visitor center. Check the recent trip report titled "Long drive for a smallish hike." It was about 7.2 miles round trip.

Mt. Crawford

Mount Crawford:Steep 2.2 miles on Davis Path, great views. Similar hikes to Jackson or Webster, or a loop of both and also great views. For something really low key try Ammonoosuc Lake Trail and Red Bench Trail behind the Highland Center.

KDT

A few weeks ago I did a loop that included up Jackson and down Webster, across 302, up Ethan Pond Trail past Willey Trail to the Ethan Pond Campsite, next day back to Willey Trail to grab Willey, Field, then Tom, then I headed back to the Jackson trailhead. All in all that might be a lot to do with an 8-year-old (then again maybe not). I'm mentioning it more or less not for the loop but for the first leg: Jackson and Webster. If you can get a lift to complete that segment as a loop, it was an awesome hike with tons of views (along Webster Cliff Trail especially).

Mount Crawford:Steep 2.2 miles on Davis Path, great views. Similar hikes to Jackson or Webster, or a loop of both and also great views. For something really low key try Ammonoosuc Lake Trail and Red Bench Trail behind the Highland Center.

KDT

I second both of these. Crawford is short and steep but very nice. The summit area is fun to explore.

We took our kids "Around the Lake" and to the Red Bench a few weeks ago and spent a nice afternoon checking out toads, bullfrogs, ducks, snakes, moose tracks, etc. We didn't see a single other person on a weekend afternoon. I don't know if that's typical but it's hard to find solitude like that on the other trails in the area. ;) Limited views (other than the beautiful Ammonoosuc Lake that's in view most of the trek), and it also won't take up the whole afternoon though.

I haven't been to the Sugarloaf's (loaves?) yet but from what I've read/heard they are fantastic and combining the peaks should make for a nice half-day or so with your son.

Visit Ripley Falls for sure (1.2 miles round trip). It's down the street from Arethusa.

Also take him swimming at Lower Falls and Upper Falls of the Ammonoosuc since it'll be 85+ degrees out this weekend (but beware of the dangerous potholes near the waterfall at the upper falls). Let me know if you want directions.

The Sugarloaves off Zealand Road are also recommended.

You could also do a 5.0 mile round trip hike to Zealand Hut because it (1) has a waterfall (2) has a view and (3) you could show him the hut (I would have thought the huts were cool at that age).

Another vote for Mt Crawford. Great summit views for such a short hike. Nancy Pond Trail up to the cascades is another nice one.

I don't think the leaves are turning yet near Mt Crawford, but you get the jist.

1034146023_BPfCU-M.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how far you are looking to go, but comparable to Mt Willard is Mt Avalon. Avalon is a little harder than Willard. About 3.4-4 miles round trip. Great viewing off Avalon. You also can stop at the at Beecher and Pearl cascades on your way down.

I like the Etan Pond trail to Shoal Pond. There are some limited views of Willey and Whitewall. There is great habitat.

This is tough, as there are so many great hikes in Crawford Notch. I'd have to say that my favorite is Mt Avalon for a short and (relatively) easy one. Some of the best views in the notch.

My other top (and totally different) choice is Zealand Valley. Just wandering out to the hut, or out to Thoreau Falls, or for a bit more effort to Zeacliff is such a great way to spend a day. Definitely my favorite "hike without a summit" in the Whites.

Kevin's suggestion about Around the Lake to Red Bench is also great. Whenever we stay at Highland Center this is where I go on any decent morning to watch the sunrise on the summit of Mt Washington. On a good day the view is incredible! (Wonderful winter hike too)

I can't believe that for all the times in Crawford Notch we've never hiked Mt Crawford. After seeing the view in the pic that Billy posted I'm sure it's going to be one we visit soon

Elephant Head is supposed to be fun, and if feeling adventurous check out the source of the Saco!

Elephant Head is supposed to be fun, and if feeling adventurous check out the source of the Saco!

Yes, Elephant Head is very nice. Great choice if you're pressed for time and want some nice views quick.

If you go a bit further up the same trail, you can walk out on Bugle Cliffs.

IMG0128edited-1-M.jpg

My thanks to all of you. I like ALL of the suggestions. Fortunetely I'll be going back to Crawford Notch at the end of July so I can save some of your suggested hikes for that week.

For this weekend I have nailed it down to Mt Avalon and Ripley Falls. Mt. Crawford via Davis Path is top on the list for the end of July as is The Sugarloaves off Zealand Road. I'm looking foward to all of the hikes.

Thanks again.

:)