Hikes-with-him finallly finishes!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
hi all

here is the official "invite".

we are finishing the 48's on Moriah on Saturday (11-20-10) if anyone would like to accompany us. Not sure of the trail we are taking up yet...Stoney brook or Carter-moriah. Maybe an up and back...maybe a traverse to come down 19-mile brook...?

Anyway, we are early starters and would like to start up by 6:00 am.

We are moderate speed hikers...

A nice option is up Stony Brook and down Carter Moriah trail to Gorham. Most folks can tolerate going down the long approach to Gorham much better than going up it. There are some nice views from the ledges just above Mt Surprise and the trail downhill of Mt Surprise is very well graded. Worse case is if you cant find a car spot, the walk between the trailheads isnt bad if you take the swinging bridge over the river and take a left. ( a lot folks havent checked out the swinging bridge which was part of the original AT route).

Finish

Good luck to you and it's nice you picked Moriah to finish on...not the hardest and not the easiest, with nice views into Maine, Northern NH and of course the Presidential Range..wish we could join you!!

Good luck, I finished NH & New England on Moriah back in 1998, before ou needed the new ones in ME. (I had two out of three & went back for Reddington as part of the Northeast 115 - still 11 ADK's left)

have fun!

For anyone interested in joining us...we are starting up the Carter-Moriah trail (from Bangor street) and going down the Stoney Brook trail

We will be leaving from Bangor Street at about 6:00 am