Hiking a peak with a view on a viewless day

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skimom

Reaction score
Chocorua 11-6-05

If you got out Sunday, you know what I’m talking about when I say that the sky was grey with low-laying clouds and the air was thick with moisture. Rain and possible thunderstorms were predicted for the afternoon. I figured I should get an early start so I would be off the mountain before those potential thunderstorms rolled in.

I created a loop by heading up Carter Notch Trail, connecting to Middle Sister, over the ridge to the summit and then backtracked down to Piper.

The Carter Notch Trail was a surprise as it was much more challenging than the topo on the trail map leads one to believe. I had a great time scrambling up the rocks and at one point had to remove my pack in order to get up and over a particularly hairy section.

There was quite a landslide of scree and loose rock that the trail side-skirted. The slide was impressive; tumbling down an outcropping where something like this would usually be found in a concave area or gully.

As I hiked up, there was a smell. A very bad, very strong, smelly smell and it permeated the air all around. I considered that an animal, possibly a rather large animal considering the stench, had a home nearby and once I was passed, the smell would go away. I was wrong. The smell hung on the mountain, clinging to it, and it stayed with me as I climbed. It was a smell such that I have never smelled. Occasionally, I thought it was similar to a damp dog wearing wet sweaty socks that had been left in a hot car for a few days, but actually, that would be to tame a description for this smell. I considered the possibility that I was following an animal, but never did I see any signs of one, any tracks in the mud, or hear any noise. After Middle Sister, the smell thankfully went away and only came back in occasional whiffs.

The ridge and summit were cold, windy and wet, with white wispy clouds flowing past my head and dampening my hair until droplets formed and rolled down my face. There was no snow really to speak of, but I did see small patches stashed here and there, mostly under trees or scrub.

The hike down was beautiful and peaceful. The Piper trail has been extremely well maintained with extensive grading and rock work.

Some may wonder why I chose to hike a mountain with incredible views on a day that wouldn’t provide any. Well, I’ve never been up Chocorua and I wanted to check it out. Besides, I wouldn’t see anything if I had hiked a viewless peak anyway, so did I miss anything in hiking a peak with a view on a viewless day ?

Chocorua, and the views it gives, will be there tomorrow. I look forward to hiking it again on a nice day. Perhaps from the Kanc next time.

skimom said:
I thought it was similar to a damp dog wearing wet sweaty socks that had been left in a hot car for a few days
You never forget the smell of a black bear. :)
It probably had walked along that trail shortly before you and it probably thought you smelled bad as well. :D

I think that part of experiencing the mountains is to be out on the peaks on days like that. Sure, there's no view, but it's still someplace special, someplace different, and someplace unique.

Plus, if you want solitude on Chocorua on a Sunday it's the only way to go.
:)

Nice TR!

Nice trip report, including experiences from all the senses. And a great attitude! I think the journey itself is far more worthwhile than the views. It sounds like you had a nice, quiet day. Sometimes lousy weather is the best because it keeps the crowds away. We can stay in the city if we want crowds! The mountains to me are a wonderful place to get away. Glad you enjoyed it :)

jessbee said:
I think the journey itself is far more worthwhile than the views.
Amen to that! Whenever I catch adverse conditions I just think of how many people only experience a peak or place on sunny days and how few are seeing what I'm seeing.
I have a knack for being in the fog at a peak with a view, especially on first ascents. I get there and always say "Good, that just gives me more of a reason to come back!" :)

later,
Doug

great trip report! thanks for sharing. :)

Nice report - Brings back some memories...

One of my most favorite hikes was one where I actually went with another person (my girl friend at the time). We went up Air Line Tr. it was so foggy visiblity could only be described at scarey. The kind of scarey that we where nervous we would fall off the mountain because we couldn't see the edge. It was great!!!!!!!!!!! Going up looking down to our right it looked like if I jumped off I would never ever hit the bottom OR if I jumped just 5 feet into the thick fog there was a flying saucer hidden in the fog.

LOL

Thanks for stirring up some memories!

On great clear days you usually focus on the distant peaks, can you see Mansfield or Killington, can you see Bigelows or Saddleback? Can you see hikers on the ridge a mile a away?

On a viewless day those senses are focused on what you can see, rocks on the summit, the silence, the wind, etc.

Nice report. So, now that you've heard that it could be a Blk Bear... do you buy into that? NH-MH and slam, what's the story that a bear would put out that kind of odor?

had to smile...

Well had me guessing with that Carter Notch Trail up there ... till today.

Hiking up there today the mystery was solved as I hiked past the sign for Carter Ledge Trail.....then it all seemed to make sense...

Odorless today at least where I was (myself excluded I'm sure ).

Do you think it was a smell from a mill ?

If the wind is right...

I lived right down the street from the paper mill for about 1 1/2 years. The wind affects the smell greatly. I've been at Pinkham Notch VC and smelled the mill so it is possible.

bubba said:
Nice report. So, now that you've heard that it could be a Blk Bear... do you buy into that? NH-MH and slam, what's the story that a bear would put out that kind of odor?

Bears have a very distinct odor. It's usually described as "Musky Wet Dog". It's not a bad smell, like skunk or rotting flesh, just very strong. Once you've smelled it, you'll never forget it. The smell seems to be stronger in the Fall.

The smell is frequently attributed to Bigfoot out West. :D

I don't know if she smelled a black bear but I've got to agree that once you've smelled one you'll instantly be able to identify the odor again. One time hiking in Maine I smelled a black bear while going up a trail to some ledges. The odor was wafting down the mountain. Well I was pooh poohed until we got to the blueberry patch and there was a very large furry friend already there. Kind of like "Blueberries for Sal".

And yes, it is reminiscent of a musky wet dog. But unique.

Did I say Carter Notch ? Sorry .... my mistake.

Not sure if it was a black bear or not. It was most definitely NOT the mill, which also has a distinct smell.

It was the most foul odor, and I hiked with it for most of the time. It was like the energizer bunny ... it kept going and going.

If you got a good hit of it, it made your eyes water!

Skimom,

Chocuorua certainly won't disappoint you on a nice day.
Glad you had a good time anyways.

As for the smell.... Probably just a Sasquatch. I hear they're migrating with the foliage, which is a little late this year.

Steve-o

I was once told by a very seasoned hiker that there are no bad days for hiking. If the weather is clear you focus on the distant views, and if the weather is bad you will focus on things closer such as rocks and small plants or a small spuce tree with snow on it. I love to hike in the rain, it is much more peaceful and it awakens the smells of the forest.
What smell you describe is what people have told me a black bear smells like. Maybe it was BigFoot. I hear that you smell him before you see him. :)