Hiking pole grip chafe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
My poles have rigid plastic handles. After long use on a hot and sweaty day, I noticed some chafing between my thumb and forefinger. This area contacts primarily the top of the grip, around the strap. Also in that area the grips have a few horizontal grooves, which is what I think caused the chafing.

Any ideas for something that could be applied to the grips to reduce chafing?

I tried mole skin but it wouldn't stay put.

I'd think pole grips would be a tough place to get much to stick. Duct tape will stick to most plastics (including the gummy ones that make for good grips), but that probably wouldn't help the chafing.

My answer, which you may not like, is to keep using your poles. Your skin will toughen shortly, and then you won't have to worry about it any more.

FWIW, I don't usually use the straps except when climbing. Holding the poles' shafts for the ascent (using the straps as stops) effectively shortens pole length, as well as gives your hands something different to grab. For downhills, I'll hold the grip to get maximum length to snub myself down drops or to cruise at higher speeds on the relative flats.

It may be a holdover from skiing, but I tend to grip my poles as loosely as possible. That way, whether you snag a branch or get your tip stuck in a rock crevice, your shoulders will be happier.

My first hiking pole had an antler grip ...very rough on the hands on a long hike. I switched to rubber gripped poles to help avoid that problem. Cork seems to work good as well.

Any ideas for something that could be applied to the grips to reduce chafing?
How about a fine file...to smooth up the grip.

Edit: That was a shed antler from a huge buck that still lives in the woods behind my house. No animals were harmed in obtaining it. :)

Last edited:
I read somewhere recently that for hiking poles you really wanted to tighten and use the straps. If you did, the type of grip wouldn't matter as much since you'd mainly be putting pressure on the straps.

I've been trying this lately and my knees have been better for it.

-Shayne

I'm right there with spaddock on this discussion. I found that my hands are better off as well as my forearms when I use the straps and my wrists as the loadbearing surface and use just a flick of the fingers and thumbs to direct the poles where I want them.
Less forearm fatigue from gripping the handles tightly, no blisters on the hands, versatility in use (i.e. dangle the poles in sketchy sections without having to drop them altogether and pick back up...)
On a couple of hikes with friends who were less accustomed to using poles, I demonstrated for them how I learned to use them and got great responses.

I use "that stuff"

I'm sorry that I dont have a name for it, perhaps one of the more learned among us will know.

It is grey in color and only sticks to itself, it comes rolled up like a roll of gauze bandaging. I wrap that around my thumb down to the knuckle and it keeps the irritation down.

Of course if I hiked more I;m sure I;d build a callous.....but....thats another story :eek:

Just a guess

Not sure this would work, but what about wrapping the grips with the stuff used to wrap tennis racket grips?

Since I rarely use poles I am not sure if this may help but for bike riding I wear bike gloves (open fingers, padded palm, breathable backs) because it's much more comfortable on the handbar. Might work with poles???

The best solution is to grip a cold beverage of your choice with the chafed area when you are done hiking!!!!

You'll forget all about it after a few :D

carole said:
Since I rarely use poles I am not sure if this may help but for bike riding I wear bike gloves (open fingers, padded palm, breathable backs) because it's much more comfortable on the handbar. Might work with poles???

I saw a lot of people using bike gloves with their hiking poles over the Fourth of July weekend. I would think, as Carole and hikingfish suggested, gloves would work pretty well. Otherwise, filing the grips smoother and applying some cloth tape--like medical or hockey tape--should smooth things out enough to reduce the irritation.

Halite said:
I saw a lot of people using bike gloves with their hiking poles over the Fourth of July weekend. I would think, as Carole and hikingfish suggested, gloves would work pretty well. Otherwise, filing the grips smoother and applying some cloth tape--like medical or hockey tape--should smooth things out enough to reduce the irritation.
Removing rough spots from the grips could help. But if you use the straps properly, there need only be a very small amount of pressure on the gripping surfaces of your hand.

In winter I wear fleece gloves to protect my hands. In summer I generally bare-hand the pole, but have carried biking gloves. I have only gotten some warm spots and have never needed the biking gloves. One can also change the strap length to move any friction points around. My poles have straight cork grips.

Selectively taping the hotspots on your hands should also work. (Just like on your feet.)

Doug

Last edited:
Bike Gloves?

Maybe it depends on the gloves, but my bike gloves do not work well with poles. I always thought it was because the bike gloves are made assuming that the force is straight on, not pushing sideways.

They are great for bushwhacking, though.

My thoughts would be to let the hands toughen up.

Adjust the straps!

A guy that accompanied me on a hike up Carter Dome on Sunday was using a pair of borrowed poles for the first time and complained that he was getting a blister from the friction. I hadn't noticed that he hadn't adjusted the straps and they were just dangling there doing nothing. I helped him adjust them and I don't believe he had any further problems. I use my straps as my main point of contact with my poles. I agree with Pete, too - your hands will also toughen up. :eek:

I too don't recall the name of the stuff, but you can buy it at cycling shops. it's a foam tube and you can cut it to length, or buy standard length sections. Cyclists use it on handlebars. You wet it down first, slide it on, and as it dries it conforms to the grip. Good luck. S1

I always use bike gloves with my hiking ploes. The added + is that the bugs can't bite through them, so, with a long sleeve shirt just a portion of the wrist & the tips of the fingers are fair game for the bugs. A little bug dope usually keeps them away from those areas. My poles have cork type grips.

I know that when I had blisters on my feet some of you guys recommended putting Duct tape directly on my heels. I have to say that it was the cheapest and best remedy for my ailing heels. Since then I haven't had a problem. Perhaps you could try putting duct tape on your hand. No garantees as to how well it will stay if your hands are sweaty, but it stayed on my feet ok. Who knows? I sure hope you find something that works for you! :)

You have some basic options:
1. Let the calus build up on your hands. I'm not a winter hiker, so the first few trips of the year rub my hands to a blister.
2. Apply something to the pole. With the contast pressure, and probably moisture from sweat - nothing will stick.
3. Apply something to your hands. When I do those first few trips of the year I wear gloves, even though it is warm.
-I like the idea of applying duct tape to your hands Sherpette, I think I'll try this when I need it.
4. Try out some different poles with different grips. I've seen cork and cushion grips.
Good luck.