Hiking with dogs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugarloafer

Reaction score
Bigelow Range from the top of White Nitro
I would like to take my one year old lab hiking with me. I've read quite a bit about it and I think I know what to do from a safety perspective. I regularly take her in the woods around my house and she's in very good shape, but I'm wondering if anyone out there who's done a lot of hiking with their dogs could recommend any mountains not to attempt with their dogs. I would never endanger her, but if anyone knows of hikes that would be absolutely off limits for a dog, you could save me a lot of time and anxiety.

Three places or occasions that I can think of. 1) In summer, I no longer take dogs for full day hikes above treeline although many people do with no ill effects. Moosilauke would be OK provided it's not overrun, but, say, the Ammo loop would not. I think the heat stress from an extended period without shade, little water, and reflection of sun off rocks plus the wear and tear on the pads just isn't worth it, especially if the dog is older. (I once hiked a dog across Franconia Ridge under such conditions, and her tongue was literally blue by the time we got down to the hut. She wasn't one of those few naturally blue-tongued dogs either. We had to rehydrate her quickly and it wasn't easy to force a dog to drink in that condition.) 2) I also avoid the popular hikes--Zealand, Lonesome Lake, Bridal Veil--on the busiest days of the summer (but then I don't want to be there either). On the "tourist hikes," there are too many people and especially smaller children who get anxious at the sight of even well-behaved dogs to make it worth it. 3) And there are a very few places with ladders and pins and chimneys and such that I wouldn't take a dog that I couldn't lift. Some spots on Mansfield (chin, I think), come to mind. Heat stress is the big problem. On a day that I know may be in the 90s with humidity to match, if I hike at all, I would seek out a water trail (e.g. Cascade Brook Tr.) and leave very early in the morning so that the hottest part of the hike would be done well before noon. Each dog is different, of course. Some tolerate heat better than others. I'd just start out slowly and make sure you get a feel for your dog's level of tolerance. They can only pant, not sweat. Remember the tick problem.

While I do not take my dog hiking I am just not comfortable with him and hiking he is too friendly and I am afraid of losing him . . That being said I commend you for asking if there are trails that are better suited for dogs than others. I will go out on limb and say yes. . I cringe when I see some one bringing a dog into something like King Ravine or on the Tripryamid Slides. Another problem is going beyond the dog’s limit I have seen more than one dog look ready to drop faithfully following its owner. . But there are plenty of trails that dogs can hike on Too many to list I would avoid very steep trails with lots of ledges and short drops. Such as Six Husbands, also you might want to keep your dog on a leash. When I do take my dog for a short walk in on local paths he is on a leash all the time. On warm days that are not to hot I carry a water bottle like bike riders use for him he has learned to drink form it my vet told me not to use the “doggie packs” it can hurt some dogs backs. It might be good ot take your dog out on a easy hike with few obstacles say the Edmund’s path up Eisenhower so you can see how he does and handles other hikers. Remember not all of them will like your dog and some will want to pet him and give him something to eat. I would politely say pleas do not feed him and only let him be petted if he is on a leash under good control
Take it from there. One place I feel badly about dogs is on the Northern Presidential and other areas with lots of rocks to go over. I have seen more than one dog with bloody paws from all the rocks. I am sure some after hiking a lot can do it but my guess is that some one thought hey I will take Rover out to climb Mt Adams. And not think that the dog is not used to that and his paws are not tough enough yet to deal with all the Rocks.
Best of luck to you and I am sure you will get lots of good advice here.

My rule of thumb is to never take my dog on a trail that I have not already been down before. This way I have a good idea of what to expect along the way and it also gives me a good idea of how much extra water to pack in with me. I've made the mistake of taking my dogs out when its been too hot and I felt terrible...he just laid down in some shade and that was enough for me to turn around and go home. There are definately trails to avoid such as those already mentioned.

-MEB

Another important thing is to monitor your dog and be willing to turn around if the dog needs to regardless of your goal for the day. This is especially true in the beginning as you learn your dogs limits and abilities. This past weekend I turned around a couple hundred feet short of a summit because the dog was struggling. I couldn't live with myself if he got hurt out there because I had pushed him. The mountain will always be there my good friend may not be.

There is no hard-and-fast rule for what mountains NOT to attempt with a dog. It depends on what your dog is capable of. Also sometimes size, since a smaller dog can fit more places than a larger one.

There are absolutely TRAILS that I would not attempt with a dog but usually mountains have multiple routes. For instance, to do Cannon from Lafayette Place, I would avoid the ladder trail (is it Hi-Cannon?), and instead go in via Kinsman Ridge. On the other paw, if your dog is small enough to carry, then there really aren't any limits, other than to avoid rock climbing routes.

As for trails like north slide on Tripyramid, just as with novice hikers, do smaller "scrambly" hikes until your dog has learned to cope with this sort of thing.

MEB's advice to scout a trail before bringing a dog is a good idea.

Another suggestion is to pick a trail with water near by. The Hancocks sticks out for me. A bunch of stream crossings and only a few step parts. Also it provides a lot of shade.

I think it REALLY depends on your dog. You know his/her nature and stamina. Like others have said keep 'em hydrated for sure and keep an eye on them. One year olds can be a little crazy and over do it physically.

As for trail difficulty, I swear my dog is a better hiker then I. Often i'll be pondering my next few steps and she'll be looking down at me. She's very confident though.

My previous dog wouldn't be happy with trickier accents. I hike a lot in the Mahoosucs. They are a great range and rather untraveled but might be a little challenging for canines in areas.

Lots of great points here, heat stress, nearby water, knowing the trail.

I would add Caps Ridge and South Baldface and Lion's Head to the list of trails where you will need to lift your dog.

My 100 lb. German Shepard hiked Mt Washington in winter on hard-packed trails. His built-in crampons (claws) worked fine. I would never take him on such a hike in summer.

My vet and breeder said that since labs are prone to dysplasia and elbow injuries, try to avoid hikes where the dog will have to jump down more that its height, and build the distances and duration gradually. There is some debate whether as to when the growth plates and other injury-prone areas on labs are fully developed at 9mos, 12mos or 18mos. I've heard all 3.

I think it just completely depends on the dog, and you need to slowly discover what your dog's comfort level is. I would definitely avoid the slide or headwall trails, but our dog hasn't ever had difficulty with wooden ladders. In his younger days, he would always be waiting at the top for us (he's old enough now that we don't attempt that sort of trail anymore). Iron rungs are somewhat different of course, as is any trail with narrow ledges or precipitous drop-offs. Water trails are good, but I always carry an extra liter if I think there will be a dry spell, along with a meal of dogfood for him. Zealand to the Bonds is a long stretch that can be water-free during dry spells.

And though we've been guilty of ignoring the advice on occasion when we're camping in unfamiliar areas, I would also agree with MEB that you should only take your dog on trails you have hiked yourself, or that you're confident don't have any surprises.

Last edited:
My 2 cents.... avoid trails where there is lots of rough stone, i.e. above tree line for extended periods. This stuff can be like sand paper on a dogs paws. I find that my dogs are happier anyway on trails that are more wooded or that go through marshy areas. The dogs have more scents to explore and there are less people in these areas. As mentioned previously, avoiding crowded trails is a very good idea. The less people there are the more chance you have to let your dog run off lead. My dogs spend a great trail of their time exploring the areas that are directly off trail (5-10 feet into the woods) so I try to let them run off lead as much as possible.

Definately good points about checking out the hike first, staying hydrated, and watching their condition. I've had to turn around at scrambles, water crossings, and on hot days. Your pup needs you to look out for him/her. However, you also need to think about the other hikers on the trail. You should always keep your dog on a lead as other prople may not be comfortable with the dog, no matter how wonderful and friendly he/she may be. Mine is never off his leash and everyone is happy. :)

It's a good point Double Bow. I keep a retractable lead clipped to my pack, and whenever I hike on a trail where I expect to run into somebody, the dog is clipped in. Both my dogs are border collies though, and need to run for an hour or two a day just to let off steam. For this reason I usually take them on hikes off the beaten path where we can acoid people.

Double Bow said:
You should always keep your dog on a lead

Sorry, I disagree with this statement. If a dog can't be off lead in the middle of nowhere then what has this world come to?

I walk through the city (Portland ME) with out a lead 99% of the time. Never have I had a problem -- why should a strap in while walking in the woods :confused:

I just want to thank everyone for their responses...there's some great advice here ! Sounds like the consensus "smart thing" to do is start out easy, monitor her progress and work up to more challenging hikes, as she becomes more comfortable, as well as scouting out the trails in advance. I've also heard conflicting stories on labs regarding growth plates and will check this out with my vet.

If anyone has anymore stories/advice regarding hiking with dogs, please feel free to share them.

Thanks again !

jwind said:
Sorry, I disagree with this statement. If a dog can't be off lead in the middle of nowhere then what has this world come to?

I walk through the city (Portland ME) with out a lead 99% of the time. Never have I had a problem -- why should a strap in while walking in the woods :confused:

Depends on the breed.
I have very well trained dogs but they are of a hunting breed that is independent. When they decide to go expolring they are gone with no regard for their human anchor. Mine are ALWAYS on lead and always will be.

Barry Sr said:
Depends on the breed.
I have very well trained dogs but they are of a hunting breed that is independent. When they decide to go expolring they are gone with no regard for their human anchor. Mine are ALWAYS on lead and always will be.

I recognize this situation and feel the same way as you. I too once lived with a similar dog. There were few situations were he could run free.

I was referring to those dog who are voice controlled or in my girls case, have no interest in straying -- infact in her eyes separation is nothing short of a catastrophe ;)