Hiking with my fellow Kinsmans

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
Out of anything I would choose to do immediately when given the first chance any day is to hike. The opportunity to climb deliberately with friends and ponder the past days of life’s madness is always relished. But what remains singularly the best thing about hiking and today in general was that I discovered and perhaps reaffirmed my thinking that I had spent the formative years of my life hiking and remain to do so. Some may choose to abandon their roots, but I felt that I would firstly be a chump to quit my quest for the forty-eights, being so close near the end, and press on.

So one may speculate where Marty, LarryD, Rols, Jason Berard, and I went today? We went to do the Kinsmans, up the scenic and gradual and uber creative name of Mt. Kinsman Trail. Starting at 0715 at the relocated trailhead we slowly moved uphill through such late and lush autumn terrain that I felt as though I was in a different world, passing by the sugar shack, and crossing some awesome streams that our cameras simply could not forsake passing by. Our whole trek up was marked by the jovial humor and reminiscence of hikes gone by when we celebrated our passion for these woods. Some may ask why? I simply find peace in the simplicity of nature in the wasted creek beds and naked birches and emerald conifers. All of those qualities I found did little to arouse any dissatisfaction in what we were about all day long.

We continued up into platform view of Bald Knob and basked in the sea of views, the only today. As much as I would have craved for a delicious 360 view, the creaking of the rime ice was an attractable distraction from the socked in weather we faced. We also took a detour to gaze over the deep chasm, I wished we had some ropes and harnesses and engaged in some youthful risks to see the bottom.

On the summits, we took some pictures and retreated back into the woods. We noted the memory stone placed on the South Kinsman cairn. As these two peaks added up to the total for my list I was now ten away from finishing. I knew that I was up there.

However as the WMG always cautions about the downhill descent it was not immune to the spills. Larry fell and recovered. I was sucked into the mud and sacrificed a trekking pole, and Marty also took a spill. Rols managed to evade it. This humor cost no life or limb, but it was comical to see us fall into a domino because of the mud slog.

Taking a side trip to the cabin remains for Jason’s sake, we were rewarded with the toppled chimney and remnants of the north foundation. Somehow my legs took flight on the downhill and Marty kept with me, the others had an ongoing conversation on all sorts of things, but I always like the life of a good wholesome company.

The sun was overhead when we arrived out by early four in the afternoon. Nine hours went into the trip, which was expected. I cared personally to not come to the cars at nightfall.

As good hikers do, we visited the Woodstock Inn and hoisted a few for a climb well done. Let the memories live on.

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/album/575636886cRSSIQ?vhost=community

Last edited:
Nice trail report and pictures. You said it all. A great day...glad to be on the trail with you again.

I think we missed you, we were on South Kinsman, heading back to the north peak.

Great report, Clarke. Nice photos, too!

BTW, I think you caught me in a compromising position on Bald Knob. See if you can guess which photo. :eek:

Great time with you and the boys. Lots of fun and laughs galore!

Best regards,
Marty

The views weren't much on Saturday, but the rivers were running good!
Here's a picture of the Kinsman Flume from the bottom of the spur that leads to it. Sorry its a bit fuzzy.:eek:

2730389610099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited: