Hiking with Tripods

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentonfabrics

Reaction score
Hi,

How many of you photographers hike with a tripod? Is the added weight in the pack worth the added quality of the pictures? Are there any specific brands or models you'd recommend?

bob

If I'm hiking primarily to take photographs, then I definitely bring a tripod. Main reason, is the ability to stop down the aperture for depth of field or to take slow exposures when the light is at its best at the beginning and end of the day.

If I'm bringing the camera just to take snapshots as a trip record, I'll probably leave the tripod behind. I also sometimes take hikes that are a lot more about hiking, covering miles at a quick pace. In those cases, I'm not strong enough to cover the miles at a rapid pace with any extra weight like a tripod.

As far as recommendations, a really solid (but unfortunately expensive) set up is a Gitzo 1228 carbon fiber tripod with an Acratech ball head. This package weighs about 4 to 5 lbs., which is as much I would want to carry for hiking/backpacking. Smaller, lighter units can get the job done with care, but I've tried really light tripods and found them ultimately frustrating when I really want to take pictures in the field.

I personally don't carry a tripod, but then I take pictures while hiking rather than hike between taking pictures. I used to carry a film SLR which I could handhold pretty well (heavy and large enough to hold well). Now I usually carry a much lighter and smaller digital P&S--much harder to handhold well. I presume that you are aware of the tricks of propping the camera or elbows etc against a fixed object to stabilize the camera. One can also hold the camera body against one or two hiking poles or an ice axe to stabilize it. Camera mounts for an ice axe or a trekking pole used to be available--perhaps they still are.

I have seen a hiker carrying a monopod for his camera.

The above methods are not as good as a real tripod, but they certainly are lighter.

There are also lightweight short (6in or less) tripods which could be useful in some situations.

Doug

For about three years, I've been carrying a Slik Compact-XL tripod that has served me well. It weighs a tad under two pounds, stands about 13" collapsed and 54" fully extended. It lacks features like quick-release legs (the legs extend with twist locks, like trekking poles) and the head does not cantilever, it is acceptably stable even with my beast of a Nikon F2 with long lenses. I find it worth its weight because it allows smaller apertures and longer shutter times...I take a lot of close-ups and sometimes use relatively slow slide film, as well as for self-portraits. The Slik has held up well through the normal bumps during this time. I think I paid about $30 for it.

Of course,

I hike with a tripod. But, as many would question whether I am really a photographer, just as many would question whether this is really a tripod.

Here are a few pictures taken near the summit of Camel's Hump during the Gathering. This tripod is basically a toy, but useful. Weighs about 1.5 oz. It works, but sometimes it's a bit tricky getting it set up (#2). This picture is courtesy of "coldfeet", thanks David.

http://community.webshots.com/album/503336063wwHKlL

teejay

I have carried a "mini pod" (has the velcro as listed above which wokks very well) for a while and although good for a smaller camera it would not hold an slr. I do believe they sell a larger one. I got mine at Camp-mor. I have just recently picked up a "sher lok" walking stick. Not only is it a very comfortable walking staff but the wooden knob on top unscrews to reveal a screw for your camera. Don't know if any of this helps. John

I never hike without a tripod, but I'm quite serious about photography. I like to capture all the beautiful things I experience in the forest. For standard type snapshots, it's not neccessary. To get high-quality pictures with an slr camera, a tripod helps tremendously, as mentioned, because you can close down the aperature and slow down the shutter beyond the point possible with hand-held shooting.

Tip: Many tripods have a little hook at the bottom of the center post. Put a rock in a plastic bag and hang it from the hook. Now your 2 lb. tripod is much more sturdy.

I have one of those mini-tripod things with the hook-and-loop strap, too. It's called an Untrapod II. Picked it up at REI. Mainly, this gets used to support a camera (Nikon F3) for posed group shots including self, and self portraits. Just about everything else gets hand held using various holding and bracing tricks practiced over many years.

At one time in the long distant past I lugged a large Mamiya twin lens reflex camera and extra lenses, filters, etc. on hikes, along with a full size (original) Tiltall aluminum tripod. Very heavy and bulky, but the setup produced wonderful black & white photographs (technically speaking). A good tripod is a real boon if your goal is to maximize image sharpness. I read good things about some of the carbon fibre tripods available these days -- excellent support with relatively light weight -- but they also are alarmingly expensive.

G.

Another vote for the Slik Compact-XL, which I have carried to many places. If I'm bringing my film SLR, it performs much better with a tripod -- and if I'm hauling the SLR, I'm bringing all my glass, and a padded bag ... so what's 2 more pounds?

Lightweight compact bodies, shorter focal lengths and exposure setting flexibility mean that I don't carry the tripod for my little digicam ... though I am starting to carry the tripod again when filming DV in the woods.

Like Halite said, if I am hiking to hike, then I leave the tripod at home. If I am hiking to take pictures, then I always bring a tripod. I use a Slik U6600 (http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-10.html ) as my lightweight tripod. It weighs less than 2.5 lbs, goes up to 56", and has a 3 way head.

If I am only going a few miles, then I will haul my heavy bogan tripod with a ball head, but I sure wouldn't go backpacking with it. :rolleyes:

If you want to take low light pictures like these:

http://www.vftt.org/gallery/prints/nemtns/nem_09.html

http://www.vftt.org/gallery/prints/nemtns/nem_03.html

Then you will need a tripod. You will also need a tripod if you want to take macro shots on the trail like this one:

http://www.vftt.org/gallery/prints/ff/ff_03.html

- darren

It all depends on the goal of the hike. If it's a middle of the day type of an affair, then no..., but if I'm going out very early or late in the day, then always. I have the Gitzo Explorer and the AcraTech head so the setup is about 5 1/2 pounds. Depending on whether I haul the 4X5 is another matter of weight.

In the mid-late '80s I used to carry a Carrot CT506 tripod (with double-telescoping legs) on the outside of my day pack, during those "epic" upper-range first-time Adirondack hikes; I had a 200 mm lens for my Oldlympus (20 years and still working) and it served well (if a bit top-heavy) for many slow-shutter telephoto shots.
Also for "capturing" hummingbirds on my Chapel Hill balcony, in the early '90s.

I was once dismayed to see a hiker carrying a huge Surveyer's tripod (Pre-GPS) up Wildcat in 1989. But now, having just (re-located, weighed and) re-examined my "ultralight" Carrot, it also feels heavy, at a whopping 1-1/2 to 2 pounds (And it won't even fit into my 1-liter titanium pot) !!
:^)
Funny, how our priorities change over time........

But then again.....I should also add that my kayak avatar shot was done hand held, in a moving kayak, in low light, with 50 speed slide film. So I guess you don't really have to use a tripod....but then of course I took 36 shots and only 1 of them was sharp. :eek:

- darren

Darren,

That's remarkable that your avatar photo was handheld with such slow film, but the color ability of that film is excellent. That picture has great mood.

If anyone is in the market for a camera or lens, consider the anti-vibe technology. I have a Canon 70-300 Antivibe and it really works, allowing you to go slower without a tripod. Now, antivibe technology is appearing in camera bodies, so you won't need to buy lenses with it.

This is really useful for wildlife, when there is no time to set up a tripod.

I usually bring along a Gitzo Mountaineer (Carbon Fiber) with an Acra-Tech quick-release head. When traveling light in the winter I sometimes substitute an "Axe-Pod" if I think I might need some support for a low-light situation when the snow/ice conditions are firm enough to keep the axe upright when weighted with the camera. This particular one was made from a cheap Velbon ball head bolted on to a piece of strap aluminum, with velcro straps to snug the whole assembly in place.
AxePod2.jpg

I used it for this shot of Madison from Adams 4 at dusk, which was at 1/4 second or so:
MountMadisonatTwilight.jpg

forestnome said:
I never hike without a tripod, but I'm quite serious about photography. I like to capture all the beautiful things I experience in the forest. For standard type snapshots, it's not neccessary. To get high-quality pictures with an slr camera, a tripod helps tremendously, as mentioned, because you can close down the aperature and slow down the shutter beyond the point possible with hand-held shooting.

Tip: Many tripods have a little hook at the bottom of the center post. Put a rock in a plastic bag and hang it from the hook. Now your 2 lb. tripod is much more sturdy.
Hey FN what kind of tripod do you use ? I need a lighter one than my Bogen . I also need to have the Tripod Hold a 645 camera and a Cannon EOS 1 N IV with at least a 70 - 300 mm zoom .
BTW FN If you have a cool 1,500 to brun Check out Cannons 35 - 300 L lens a bit heavy but super sharp .

No-pods!

DougPaul said:
I personally don't carry a tripod, but then I take pictures while hiking rather than hike between taking pictures. I have seen a hiker carrying a monopod for his camera.
Doug

I hike first of all, and take pictures as a secondary pursuit! A tripod is too bulky for a "minimalist" kile me, and any pod takes too much time and effort to attach! For "better" pictures than I can get with my "pocket" 3X digital, I have an Olympus C2100 UZI with 10X zoom and image stabilization! Works great without a tripod!

Fred

RGF1 said:
Hey FN what kind of tripod do you use ? I need a lighter one than my Bogen . I also need to have the Tripod Hold a 645 camera and a Cannon EOS 1 N IV with at least a 70 - 300 mm zoom .
BTW FN If you have a cool 1,500 to brun Check out Cannons 35 - 300 L lens a bit heavy but super sharp .

Nope, I'm no where near wealthy enough for such luxuries. Hopefully one day though...

Actually, I'm now in the market for a new tripod myself. The one I now use is a cheap Vivitar. It's served me well, but it's time for a new one. I do have a heavy Slik tripod that is a decade old and still in perfect working order, so I like the idea of a lightweight Slik, and it has received two votes on this thread. The Gitzo mentioned is also quality.

Tim, That's a great set-up!. Nice picture of Mt. Adams and the color of the Band of Venus is nicely captured.

Last edited: