Ho Jo's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. X

Reaction score
This may sound stupid (nooo from Mr. X?), but I was wondering where and why some of the huts are reffered to as "Ho Jo's". Mr. Metsky, I await your answer, with multiple links of course.

Very good question. Actually, there is only one building called HoJo's and it's not a hut.

Just a guess, but I wonder if it is because they look like the old Howard Johnson's restaurants.

I've always thought that "Ho Jos" or "Howard Johnsons" was just a common slang for a hotel, rather than just saying Hotel. Kind of like saying Jello instead of gelatin..

Jay

The only building I've ever referred to as "HoJos" is the ranger station in Tuckerman Ravine. The old building had an orange roof, similar to the Howard Johnson's restaurant chain, that is how the original name was coined. That building burnt down in the 1960's (I think) and a new one was built without the orange roof, but the name stuck.

I've never heard HoJos applied to any other building in the Whites but others can comment on that.

-dave-