How do you(stay in shape) train?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clown

Reaction score
Just curious on others methods on how they maintain their athletic abilities. I love to hike because of solitude, nature, ect... but I also like pushing myself to the limits and I love the physical challenge of a good hike. I am always aiming higher in the long run, I guess. So I try to excersise daily, by running and day hikes. Since I'm from the south shore, MA, I tend to go to the Blue Hills alot, although it's not too challenging. And when I have some free time I will go to Mt. Monadnock, because that is pretty good too. Only takes me about 2 hours to get there. Sadly a trip to the Whites can be anywhere from 3 to 4 1/2 hours depending on where I go, so unless I feel like driving most of the day, or spending more than one night for a day trip, I try to stay local. Where do other people go? and how do you stay fit?

I am more of a local hiker. The farthest I will drive on a regular basis is the Catskills 1.5 houres. I live close, anywhere from 5-30 minutes to hundreds of miles of trail. There is no need for me to travel far. I also live in the Kittatinny mtns so I get some decent climbs. Of course nothing like the Cats or whites but good enough to keep me smiling. :)

As far as staying in shape. I usually will run or Mt bike when I cant hike. This seems to keep me in good shape for the long hikes. I also work as a park Ranger so I get to hike, Ski, bike and snowshoe almost everyday and get paid for it. The key is to mix things up. run one day go for a bike another etc...

I try to mountain bike or trail run every day. I also mix in some walks in the woods. In the winter I add a bit of weight lifting and cross country skiiing. But honestly, nothing gets me in shape like backpacking. When I finish a hundred mile trip I feel great and I really wish I could find a way to sustain that strength and toning throughout the rest of the year. I've considered road biking, but I feel massive dog guilt if I spent my free time out exercising in a nondoggable way.

Sabrina

I've considered road biking, but I feel massive dog guilt if I spent my free time out exercising in a nondoggable way.

Sabrina[/QUOTE]

I love to ride my road bike and if you get yourself out there for a couple hours at a time(I know most people dont have that much time but if you do) I can say it is a very caloric activity. As a young person, I always thought it kinda dumb to get on some bike with tight shorts and a wedgie seat and peddle around, but now that Ive gotten into it I hope to do it till the day I die(along with hiking and, mountain biking ).

Heck you dont even need to go out that long. Find a very steep loop and give it your all. When riders use the term "bike buzz" they aint kidin'. :confused: :confused:

When not hiking I take the dog for walks of two to three miles depending on how much time I have that day and how energetic I feel. I also take the stairs at work instead of the elevator. My office is on the first floor and I will walk to the basement and then climb to the 7th floor roof access level. I may not have the time to do this every day but try to get it in a couple of times a week. I also try to get out and rock climb one night during the week after work or on weekends I'm not hiking. I have to fit in mowing the lawn in there sometimes as well and I got rid of the rider mower.

I try to ride my bike every day on the surrounding country roads where I live. As a change of pace, I'll bike the Erie canal path with my mountain bike. I have found thru experience, if I don't ride, my wind, endurance and general leg strength diminish greatly. Last summer on a hike up Algonquin, my legs were starting to poop out before I even reached the wright peak intersection. The reason being, I biked very little that spring and summer leading up to that mid July hike. The rest of the summer thru Sept., I rode daily, so when I climbed Colden in early Oct. I easily boogied up and down that mountain. What a hugh difference riding makes for me. In the winter, I try to ride an exercise bike ( if I can get motivated ), snowshoe, and use my Bowflex for leg curls and extensions . This year I plan to get back to cross country skiing. Basically, you have to do not only what you like and what works for you, but what fits into your lifestyle.