how many gel packs? - moved from Q&A

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
how many gel packs?

How many is to much? I have been using only one on my 2000 foot climbs. I thought I might use about 3 on my attempt at the seward and satanoni ranges, maybe 4. Also, when to use them? I have always had a little at each rest stop. Is it better to down all or half the pack at once? I want to get all out of them I can. I usually finish all of them before I summit becouse I figure you need the fuel to climb. Should I save some for the way abck?

Adk_dib said:
How many is to much?
I don't use gel packs, but I try to keep an even energy level going. That means eating or drinking a few minutes before a strenuous climb is expected or any other time when I seem to be losing energy.

Personally, I do not like to get on a 'sugar high', and then crash, and repeat...

Tom Rankin said:
Personally, I do not like to get on a 'sugar high', and then crash, and repeat...

Same for me.

That's why I keep my gel packs for the last miles of my hike. I like the ones with cafeine.

Once I brought very sugary cookies on a hike, and 45 minutes after eating too many of them, my eyes were literally closing by themselves, all I wanted was lying down on a rock and sleep :eek: Never again !

Adk_dib said:
How many is to much?
It's something you have to figure out for yourself, everyone reacts differently. But I generally find that 3 packs for every 2 hours of strenuous activity is enough.

Adk_dib said:
Also, when to use them?
Regurarly, but often I wait until I feel weak and need a boost. Most gels tell you when to take them. Gu tells you to take one 15 minutes before activity, and then take one every 45 minutes during the activity.
I usually like to mix energy bars and gels on the trail for some variety. If I'm going for lightweight and speed I just take gels.

Adk_dib said:
Is it better to down all or half the pack at once?
I just take the whole packet all at once. It's not better or worse... but each packet is only around 100 calories anyways.
Remember to drink some water with every packet.

Adk_dib said:
Should I save some for the way abck?
You should always take some reserve food for the what ifs. How much you take depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
If you're going for speed then a constant amount of energy is good to have all the way to the end.

timmus said:
I like the ones with cafeine.
Some gels have caffeine, they just don't advertise it.
For a while I thought Gu was the one that didn't, but then someone pointed out to me that it had Cola Nut (which has caffeine), but it just wasn't advertised on the packaging that it had (although the Banana Blitz flavor is the only one that doesn't have any caffeine).

GU Flask

I use gel packs a lot for running (Clif Shots) and usually put two in a GU Flask before a long run. During a half marathon I will take a pull just before every water stop because I find that too much at one time bothers my stomach. Most directions for use will instruct you to take with water.

For hiking I find that plain old granola bars, water, and, very occasionally, gatorade work best for me because I have enough trouble forcing food down and something that I really don't like (like gel packs) won't get used.

on an average ascent I use 2 or 3. once I summit, I start eating real food and dont use gel. I get more then 45 minutes from one and after years of using them think every 45 minutes as recommended it overkill. another note, they are carbs, once your 2 hrs into any climb, serious thought must go to protien intake as well, espechally after a hike, where I lay off carbs and focus on protien because at that point carbs turn to fat and your body needs protien to begin the rebuilding process of muscles.

I use gel from Hammer Products and take a packet every 45 minutes or so. Hammer stuff was designed for triathletes and cyclists who need calories on the go that are readily absorbed. If you believe the Hammer literature, once you get beyond two hours of exercise, you need something with protein in it as well. They have a product called Perpetuem that has carbs and protein in a powder mixed with water. (It's a nasty orange creamsicle flavor.) The recommended dose is one to two scoops per hour. I did 44 miles over two days in May in the Grand Canyon going rim to rim to rim and used only Hammer Gel and Perpetuem for food during the day. It wasn't a great gastronomic experience but I felt great and never bonked.

I had no idea that these things were so popular! Put me down as a Gu-Man. As much as I like Clif Bars, I think Clif shots are horrible. I take one at the trailhead, and another for each hour I ascend. I might have another for the decent if my legs are getting rubbery.

I generally use 1-2 GU's per hike. I will also eat a power bar or clif bar prior to the start and use the GU to stay powered up. It also depends on how long and how strenous a hike it is as to how many I use. I usually keep extras in my pack. When running long distances I will generally eat a full GU after 1 hour and then 1 every hour or two after that.

Hi, I used black chocolate with about 70-75% of cacao. It do the job
better than the gel pack for me. Just used the chocolate going up after the 4 or 5th summit of the day. It give me lots of new energy and at that time I
feel like new. :)

I don't use any. When they first came out I tried them, taste tested them to see if the chocolate ones actually tasted like chocolate, etc.

What I found was that while easy to eat/swallow,(the better flavors) the limited amount of energy & calories (back in 1997 they were about 100 calories) I needed more in 30-45 minutes. I'd need a case of them on a trip to the Bonds or a (lately) typical 10-12 hour day hiking!

as stated previously it's personal preference as to how many/often. having said that they are a life saver in my opinion. i use to be big on power/cliff bars, but seeing that i prefer the colder temperatures one quickly learns that bars suck in cold weather. even when you keep one close to your body they're still nearly impossible to bite thru. GU doesn't freeze and because the body doesn't really have to digest anything they absorb more quickly then solids.

i tend to only use them when i'm wrecked, need a quick boost, or just trying to maintain on a long push. you know those times when you feel like you're going to puke when you eat, those are the ideal time for GU and water. GU's should also never be a substitute for gorp/snacks! your climbing buddies will appreciate not have to carry all of your extra gear because you didn't get the proper nutrition.

i've tried them all and i keep going back to regular GU! the rest taste like ass and while GU has some caffeine i've never crashed from the "caffeine high".

I went through about 9 GU's and 4 CarBoom packs yesterday, on a run from Appalachian Gap to Brandon Gap on the LT, along with 4 bananas, a donut, and about 6 Balance bars.

I have never noticed any kind of "crash" from them. They are easy to swallow even when you are trucking along, and you don't have to chew. I tend to favor them when I know it's past time to eat, but don't really have the appetite for anything solid (much like Stonyfield smoothies!) They are kind of messy though - I think the little flasks for GU are a better way to go than the individual packs if you are on a long haul.

I like the little flasks too. I refill them with Hammer Gel. It's better than having a ton of waste packets.

- d