How much do you really drink on a winter hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much would you actually drink?

• 0.0L - 0.5L

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0.5L - 1.0L

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • 1.0L - 2.0L

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • 2.0L - 3.0L

Votes: 28 28.6%
  • 3.0L - 4.0L

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • 4.0L +

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters
FWIW, I did the Twins + Galehead from 7D to BB today and drank about 1.75L more than my base metabolism would require. I peed clear too, more than once. 14 miles, 3900'+.

Tim

Another FWIW -- Alex and I did Wildcat A today (8.6 miles, 19M and WRT out-and-back), we each drank about a liter and a half of warm hot chocolate and/or apple cider...that was plenty, we both felt well hydrated and our energy levels were extremely high. (I did have an extra 2 L just in case, but it wasn't used).

I hiked Seymour in the Adirondacks yesterday (13+ miles) and drank one liter of tea and about 12 ounces of hot chocolate. I felt fine but left a trail of kidney stones for the last 5 miles, one in Saranac Lake, one in Placid, and half a dozen at home.

I have a Tanita body-fat scale which gives weight, % body fat, and % water composition. I am 57.5% +/- water according to the scale. This morning it read 57.2%, well within the daily variance and sensitivity of the scale.

Tim

Hydration what works and why it works

Nice job on moderating your initial question on how much folks drink.
As you so correctly say in reality how much one should drink while climbing is very different among individuals.
And there are some really opinionated "different "individuals climbing out there.
RE "(The) hydration rule just seem silly to me because they imply that hiking is some form of extreme physical activity when it is really just... walking". : Huh?
AND its not a rule its a guideline for good endurance over the long term.

Case in point: When I was out (almost every day it seemed) living in Franconia I was in my early 20s and fit as a Puma.
I would leave my cabin with a canteen (remember those?)and a couple of Hershey bars, hike for 4 hours drink from any steam hat ran faster than me and return home and drink beer all night .

Never thought about hydration. But I did carbo load :)

But as time catches up to you you pay more attention to the little advantages and listen to the pros and cons with more attention.

I now seek every advantage to make my body work easier and healthier while climbing. Some of us winter mountaineers dont have to because you probably dont need to ....right now.

I simply choose to do so. because I can feel the difference
in my performance .

And water in most definatly not the choice of the pro climber or pro athletes. It flushes out electrolytes which you need and have to replace for top perfomance.

The endurance sport and high intensity atlethic jocks use Accelrade (or other "complete" products) which is just short of amazing (I do hate that word) in its effect on your ability to get into "the climbing zone".

If you've hiked all these years without taking in 20-26 oz per hour of electrolyte and glucose replacement fluid try it once ..
Then comment here on your before and after physical vibe.
(Dedicated climbers on VFTT are all tuned into their bodies and will notice even the slightest change in how they feel on the "ups" and long routes)

That would be informative and helpful to you and to all of us.
Onward and upward

A timely thread! I was discussing this topic of winter hydration just yesterday, as it was a classic cold cold winter day in the Daks. I ticked 1-2L in the poll as that is likely all I had. In winter, with a water bottle in a bottle parka in a pack, I am not keen to stop too often to dig it out. I try to drink most of a quart en route to the trail head.
We did about 14 miles on skis yesterday, including the Wright Peak ski trail. For the first couple of hours I called out for a stop every hour for a few swallows of water but after that it was probably every two hours. Two of us carried 3 quarts between us and the water was COLD well before the end of the tour. :eek:
I do miss my 3-season Camelbak as I drink twice as much with that, but am not going to risk freezing/breaking it and having no water at all.
Kidney stones sounds horrible!:( I once peed blood after a summer trail race but thankfully the plumbing has otherwise been ok.

To Lisa
A little help with your hydration plan.'

Attach the velcro strap from your water parka on your waist belt,.... that way its always there.

Spare bottles in parkas in your pack can be had easily every 90 minutes or so. Just exchange bottles empty for full.

You sound like a really good athlete so you will be surprised what a difference it makes ...remember not water
but Accelerade or the same quality equivalent (not gatorade)

It's hard for me to drink more than 0.5 liter of Jack, even when I'm stuck at home, so I didn't vote. :D

Seriously, I drink about 1 liter on a winter day. I need less, and it's harder to stop and get the water out, as others have said. I supplement with snow, too.

Pks4000, you are right, the parkas come with a sturdy velcro strap that can fit on a waist belt very handily. I have used them that way for hiking - with the bottle upside so the lid does not freeze closed. If the side pockets of the pack are wide enough I can stuff the parka into those too.
However, for skiing the parkas can be bulky and get in the way (especially since I am not a paragon of graceful efficient kick and glide technique and need all the streamlining I can get :D )

Last edited:
I hang the parkas from the shoulder straps, so they slide down and hang next to my hips, where the non-padded strap from the shoulder attaches to the base of the pack. I can't stand having anything on the front of me which impairs movement. The only drawback I've found so far is that they drag when buttsliding. They are quite easily slid up the strap for easy access while walking.

Tim

I carry a .5 liter bottle (in a bottle parka) on my belt and additional 1 liter bottle in my pack. I can slide the bottle around to my hip or front as needed and if it gets in the way, it is easily removed and tossed in my pack. This keeps water readily available without it getting in the way.

Doug

Likewise, I did not read through the first post carefully, so I should have clicked 2-3 vs 1-2 liters to include fluid intake before and after the hike. On Aconcagua, we tried to drink 5-6 liters per day, including with meals, etc., because of the dryness and high altitude. I am convinced that staying hydrated works against altitude sickness, even on the 14ers in Colorado, where I drink more fluids than I do back here because of the drier air and the higher altitiude.

I usually shoot for 2 full nalgenes during the day (usually get lazy and only drink 1-1 1/2) Then have 16oz of hot tea with dinner and fill a nalgene with tea to drink at night if I wake up. In the morning I down another 16oz of hot tea. I tend to drink more in the summer, but it is more important in the winter.

Likewise, I did not read through the first post carefully, so I should have clicked 2-3 vs 1-2 liters to include fluid intake before and after the hike. On Aconcagua, we tried to drink 5-6 liters per day, including with meals, etc., because of the dryness and high altitude. I am convinced that staying hydrated works against altitude sickness, even on the 14ers in Colorado, where I drink more fluids than I do back here because of the drier air and the higher altitiude.

When we were in Alaska we drank tons more. We took a course and our guides were adament on 2 hot drinks with each meal and several liters of water during the day. Makes you pee a lot but it works very well. When I go out west I drink a lot more to prevent altitude issues.