How much do you really drink on a winter hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much would you actually drink?

• 0.0L - 0.5L

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0.5L - 1.0L

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • 1.0L - 2.0L

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • 2.0L - 3.0L

Votes: 28 28.6%
  • 3.0L - 4.0L

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • 4.0L +

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I realize this is a common topic, and comes up from time to time. There are several threads on this going back in time. This poll is to ask you how much you are actually drinking (not how much you should drink or how much you might tell others to drink.)

For the sake of normalizing things, let's ask the question this way:

How much would you actually drink if you hiked the standard Lincoln/Lafayette loop (Falling Waters / Old Bridle Path, either direction) of ~9 miles and ~3800' in 6-7 hours during a standard winter hike - assume that there is some moderate trail breaking and that you have 2-3 people sharing the work.

Please include in the total any pre/post hydration amounts, i.e., that above and beyond what you would drink in a normal, non-hiking / non-exercising day. If you haven't done this trip in winter, feel free to hypothesize based on similar trips and previous experience.

Tim

Last edited:
I'll start - between 2 and 3L - including pre and post hike. I actually drank about 1L last time I did it, while on the actual trip. I took 2L and came back with 1+ bottles worth.

Tim

I clicked between 2 and 3, but I should've picked between 3-4. I voted before I read your post, sorry.

I drank just under 2 liters on my trip up Cannon last weekend, but almost 3 liters on the Ike-Pierce trip the week before that. Since the Franc. loop is more strenuous, I'm guess I'd need between 3-4 L for that.

about 1 L in 8hrs

I usually carry 2L because some trips go over 8hrs, but I only drink 1L max. Of course I gulp down lots of fluids the pre/post hike drive, but during the effort I feel fine w/ 1L or 1.5L for a longer trip.

1 while out (not enough but I hate to stop) and one after - downed within 20 minutes.

Last edited:
We try to have coffee / water / juice before the hike.

Then drink on the hike, water / gatorade / tea.

Then finish the water bottle in the car if any is left over, and then maybe a beer or two! :D

It's a good idea to drink and eat every hour in the Winter!

Last edited:
Voted 2 -3, but the basic answer is not enough. In Winter we drink more pre/post hike than on the hike itself - 1 - 2 liters pre/post and only a liter or less on the hike. The rest of the year we use camelbacks and typically drink 3 -4 liters while on the hike alone.

Last edited:
I usually carry 2L because some trips go over 8hrs, but I only drink 1L max. Of course I gulp down lots of fluids the pre/post hike drive, but during the effort I feel fine w/ 1L or 1.5L for a longer trip.

This is about right for me as well. I think if you are peeing often then you are drinking/carrying too much. I also think people think they need more than they do. I mostly let thirst be my guide.

This is about right for me as well. I think if you are peeing often then you are drinking/carrying too much. I also think people think they need more than they do. I mostly let thirst be my guide.
Thirst is one of the signs your dehydrated. ;) Inge, gets away with one nalgene because it weighs as much as one of her legs.:)

I think if you are peeing often then you are drinking/carrying too much. I also think people think they need more than they do. I mostly let thirst be my guide.
You should have to pee several times during the day. Urine color (should be clear to light yellow) and quantity (should be at least ~.5 liter total) are important indicators of adequate hydration.

Thirst is suppressed in the cold--if you become thirsty in winter, you are significantly dehydrated. (Ideally, you should never become thirsty in summer, too.)

One way of maintaining adequate hydration and food intake is to stop at least once an hour to drink and eat.

Doug

Thirst is one of the signs your dehydrated. ;) Inge, gets away with one nalgene because it weighs as much as one of her legs.:)

I disagree. Thirst, if you listen to your body, is your brain telling you that you are approaching dehydration.

You should have to pee several times during the day. Urine color (should be clear to light yellow) and quantity (should be at least ~.5 liter total) are important indicators of adequate hydration.

Thirst is suppressed in the cold--if you become thirsty in winter, you are significantly dehydrated. (Ideally, you should never become thirsty in summer, too.)

One way of maintaining adequate hydration and food intake is to stop at least once an hour to drink and eat.

Doug

I don't think you should have to pee more often than you would on an average day.

Yikes .... the answer is definitely not enough. However, hiking with kids, as I so often do in winter, is a good way to get myself into the habit of stopping regularly for water breaks. Having to be responsible for others, particularly very small people, is a good reminder for me on how to take care of myself. :)

I don't think you should have to pee more often than you would on an average day.
I didn't say that you did--I, for instance, generally meet my stated indicators for being adequately hydrated on average days, too.

Your kidneys need to pass at least a certain amount of fluid whether you are exercising or not. If you are in a hospital (conscious or unconscious), the staff will monitor your urine output and adjust your fluid input accordingly. You can do it yourself when out of the hospital and when exercising you are better off drinking before you become thirsty.

Some people (teenagers are a typical group) intentionally restrict their water input so they won't have to pee in the woods. A very dangerous practice--dehydration weakens the muscles, increases the chance of hypothermia and frostbite, and in severe cases can result in kidney damage.

Doug

Don't know about liters. I'd bring two quarts on that loop, which is one less than a summer hike on that loop.

I drink as I sweat. I sweat less in winter so I drink less. I don't pay much attention to formulas or theories on this topic. Sweat out demands water back in, and I try to avoid ever feeling thirsty.

Before the hike, I drink the same way all year...a half gallon.

After the hike, I treat myself to a quaulity seasonal brew ;)

... Urine color (should be clear to light yellow) and quantity (should be at least ~.5 liter total) are important indicators of adequate hydration.

Vitamins containing B may also give urine a yellow tinge which you'll probably notice whether or not you're hiking that day. This can make the urine color test a bit harder to figure out.

I didn't say that you did--I, for instance, generally meet my stated indicators for being adequately hydrated on average days, too.

Your kidneys need to pass at least a certain amount of fluid whether you are exercising or not. If you are in a hospital (conscious or unconscious), the staff will monitor your urine output and adjust your fluid input accordingly. You can do it yourself when out of the hospital and when exercising you are better off drinking before you become thirsty.

Some people (teenagers are a typical group) intentionally restrict their water input so they won't have to pee in the woods. A very dangerous practice--dehydration weakens the muscles, increases the chance of hypothermia and frostbite, and in severe cases can result in kidney damage.

Doug

I was just trying to clarify my previous statement about peeing often.

I don't "intentionally restrict" I drink when I'm thirsty. I guess my thirst mechanism is just more tuned than most.:eek: I also don't mind becoming mildly dehydrated late in a hike just like most endurance athletes are at the end of their events. Depending of the level of exertion it is not always possible to keep up with water loss as we can only absorb so much while still exercising. I don't feel my performance suffers from this.