How much rain have you gotten?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
basement and crawl space have water in them...two pumps working around the clock...
have a third pump in the yard draining Lake Sapblatt...seriously, i could have kayaked in it yesterday...more than knee high!

Rain Rain Rain

Tuco said:
This is from wunderground.com for Rockingham county Southern NH as for the last 24 hours:

Rockingham County...
Hampton 7.10 615 am 5/14
Londonderry 5.80 802 am 5/14
Newmarket 5.00 935 PM 5/13
Newfields 4.64 1036 PM 5/13
West Hampstead 4.15 1210 am 5/14
Epping 3.56 1038 PM 5/13

And it has been pouring out since most of those updates which are fairly old so.....

Salem NH has had flooding and evacuations and lots of local road closings nearby.

Salem was bad yesterday and continues to be bad today. I actually received a call from my boss (in Pelham) to tell me not to try to go to work today (in N. Andover) because every exit ramp is closed to get to our office and to top it off every backroad way I know to get there is shut down. Another day of being at home and watching the rain.

how much rain...

Here in Waterville Valley the rain hasn't been as bad as other parts of the state. The Mad River is "mad" but I've seen it worse in the spring after a snow filled winter.

Heard on the news this morning that Manchester, NH got like 8 inches... Some places got more than 15" of rain this past weekend.

This storm missed NJ by like 150 miles I think and moderate rain was in the catskills/hudson valley. There were flood watches out in New London and New Haven, CT this morning..

Whew, looks like we missed a big storm down here..
Hope you guys dry out up there, maybe we can send you truckloads of those silica packets!

Jay

We're in Barrington...there's been a lot of roads being closed due to river overflows. We live on Long Pond and the streams that flow into it have made quite a few overflows on our road and the road on the other side of us, as well as routes towards my work-Concord.....it's time to make the rain stop. Do we have a non-rain dance??? :rolleyes:

Much less rain in Gorham

Mid-week as we were looking at the forecasts it was clear that there would be marked geographic variation in rainfall amounts, with the North Country being relatively spared. So we decided to spend the weekend in Gorham, NH.

On Saturday we got a short hike, partly in the rain (minimal) and partly post-rain. It rained overnight into Sunday, and was still raining slightly as we drove to the trailhead. That was it :) We did a 13 hour hike without a single drop of rain falling on us. We even got some spectacular views in the late afternoon on the way back.

Still, it had clearly rained a lot between Friday night (which we spent in Thornton) and Saturday noon, as the "trails" were more like streams. Feet soaked on both days.

Still, we got in two enjoyable days of hiking over this "washout" weekend, which I suspect is a heck of a lot more than what most people got :)

I also have two pumps working all the time, and added a third on Saturday; they have kept the basement mostly dry. According to a local weather station, we got 3.2" on Saturday and another 1.8" yesterday. It's still raining today and we're hoping to see some sun on Wednesday (fingers crossed).

Jay H said:
Heard on the news this morning that Manchester, NH got like 8 inches... Some places got more than 15" of rain this past weekend.

I live 30 min west of Manchester and I think we've had at least 8 inches or more. The road that my road empties onto has been closed, as has parts of Rt 122, the road that goes by the high school, and several others in town. The high school is one of 307 closings across the state today. Where I work is also closed as outside traffic is discouraged from entering that town.

Pedaling in my basement again....but I guess it beats rowing.

I was up in Waterville. Maine yesterday for Mother's day and it was 70's, sunny and warm. Coming home and crossing the Exeter river was an adventure, fortunately we are far from it's banks. 5 detours to get into work today.

Up here in Littleton, NH we've escaped most of the rain. If we've received even an inch of rain I'd be surprised. The Ammonoosuc River is running higher than usual, for sure, but nothing much out of the ordinary for this time of year. Nothern NH was definitely spared much of the heavy rain so I suspect the further north you go in the Whites, the better the conditions would be.

I canceled a hiking trip this weekend to deal with possible flooding issues - an not be poured on up there a weekend
Well we got less than .00025 inches in Bethlehem (see 4KHiker post if you don't believe me)...rained while driving, but did not even need to use raingear while hiking for two days !

Eat your hearts out all ye of little faith...<grin>

And mucho gracias to MMa and MPa for their outstanding hospitality!

Last edited:
Well, go just a little south of bethlehem into the pemi and they slammed with over 5 inches, some areas on doppler radar have over 10 near stillwater and Carrigain.. Rivers crossings will be wild in the whites for the next week because it will continue to shower. -Mattl

Mattl said:
Well, go just a little south of bethlehem into the pemi and they slammed with over 5 inches, some areas on doppler radar have over 10 near stillwater and Carrigain.. Rivers crossings will be wild in the whites for the next week because it will continue to shower. -Mattl

Gator and I did Carrigain on Saturday and the crossings were BEASTLY!! If you want white water, that's the place to go for sure... and that's on the trail!

I got home to Manchester to find that my roof was leaking in the eaves. Thankfully, I'm way uphill on the east side and so all of downtown Manch would have to be underwater before it reached me. Of course, if that happened, I'd have more problems than just a flooded basement!

I was offline yesterday, am trying to catch up... many businesses in the Manchester Millyard were closed down yesterday; one of our buildings is near the river & the basement had 5+ feet of water in it; the electrical service comes in down there & we won't have electricity restored in that bldg until Thu or Fri. Some water flooding on 1st floor but not much. I moved my PC + a few things to a temporary office in another bldg.

I dumped 12" so far from my rain gauge since Friday, and right now it has just under an inch still in it. I'm ready for sunshine :D

We had 13" here in Atkinson, but I did see this big, orange round thing in the sky today, what could that be????

Last edited: