How Much Snow?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I walked (plowed) my way up the Wapack trail on S. Pack through 2-3 feet of snow to the 1st set of ledges this evening. Crazy deep for Oct!!

That's pretty amazing. We were lucky here in Keene to escape the power outages that I've heard MA and CT got. The big piles of snow from this morning are almost all gone now, and I guess I can wait a little longer to put my snowshoes to use. Pretty crazy, though. Makes me wonder just what the rest of the winter is going to be like. I can't remember in my life ever seeing significant snow before Halloween except above treeline.

I'd guess about 16" of snow on average on Blackhead, in the Northern Catskills. About 6" at the foot of the mountain. Interesting transition from wet snow down low to dry, almost powdery at the top. I suspect the temps were low enough up high for it to not have rained/sleeted as it did at the base.

6 HEAVY inches in Boxford, MA. We have been without power since Saturday night, with no estimated time of restoration. Spent the day yesterday cutting and hauling fallen trees & limbs on our property.

Marty

We enjoyed observing yesterday that 3 1/2 year old granddaughter Emily LOVES the snow. About 2 feet in New Boston. She wanted to be tossed up into the air and land on the deep snow on her lawn, falling up to her armpits. She wishes the snow tasted more like strawberry icecream, but still she could taste all she wanted. The she bagan scaling the hill behind the house and did a great job of breaking trail, but then "spoiled" it by butt sliding down and obliterating the tracks. We're thrilled! Santa will bring her some tiny Tubbs this December.

Last edited:
About 4" in Waltham, MA. The perfect amount for Pemi's first-ever exposure to snow. She loved it!

_MG_3266.jpg

7" in Waterville Valley by Sunday AM

It's consolidating now under a cold sun, and plopping off the spruce trees as it warms. Lighter, fluffier, and less abundant than in SoNH, so we had no power outages at all up here.

Marty, look at it this way... you didn't have to watch the Pats get spanked by the Steelers :D or the B's lose their second straight to the Habs.

Oh, but we did see the Pats get spanked, Eddie.:(:eek: Thanks for opening back up that wound. ;)

We went and visited our friends who live in the next town to watch the game. They only lost power for 8 hours and had a few fallen tree limbs.

Our estimated time of restoration is Thursday night.:(

Marty

Last edited:
About 4 inches of heavy wet snow here in Bedford, MA. Some tree damage. Sunny spots have completely melted.

Just back on the air after 46 hrs without power...

Doug

Concord NH allegedly had 22", but by the time I started shoveling at noon Sun it had settled to a heavy 6" and more like a soggy 2" in the middle of the driveway. Went for a walk in the woods today and only a few inches so no snowshoes needed. Like what my sister describes in Boulder CO.

I had one broken branch, but when I saw some trail maintainers at the library Sun I asked if they had a saw with them as there were several downed branches on sidewalks.

Drove through the heart of the storm Saturday to take my stepson to an NHL game on Long Island. I think Harriman got the most of the areas I actually went through ... 15.3" was the total I heard on my drive home. Lots of downed trees and branches downstate as many trees down that way still had lots of foliage. Interesting storm for sure.

Concord NH allegedly had 22", but by the time I started shoveling at noon Sun it had settled to a heavy 6" and more like a soggy 2" in the middle of the driveway. Went for a walk in the woods today and only a few inches so no snowshoes needed. Like what my sister describes in Boulder CO.

I had one broken branch, but when I saw some trail maintainers at the library Sun I asked if they had a saw with them as there were several downed branches on sidewalks.

I was cleaning snow off cars in bow at 8 am there was a little more than a foot