Howker Ridge Trail question?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this trail this time of year for either an ascent or descent of Madison - with full, overnight packs? Not sure of the footing, steepness, ease to follow above treeline etc? Good weather only? Avoid at all costs?

Any comments will be appreciated!

I don't find this trail to be difficult to follow at all, even above treeline. While the trail is somewhat steep, I find it to be very enjoyable and the footing is good the whole way. The only factor to keep in mind is that there is a good amount of exposure near the top so, in really nasty weather, I'd avoid it. Other than that, I think it's a great trail to take in either direction.

I descended the majority of the Howker Ridge Trail 10 days ago on a King Ravine/Howker loop from Appalachia. From the Madison summit, however, I took the Watson Path down to Pine Link, which I then took .7 mile NE to its junction with Howker, below the topmost "Howk." That means I missed the top, most exposed section ot the HR Tr., but I don't believe it is any rougher or more exposed than that section of Watson Path.

For the first .3 mile from that junction, HR and Pine Link ran down together, and that section had rough footing - narrow, slippery rocks and rooty. My only real slip of the day came there and I whacked an elbow. After the Pine Link peeled off to the NE, the HR Tr. improved, I thought. There was no more than 300 feet total elevation gain, as I recall, from the cols between the lower Howks.

The views for me weren't quite what I'd expected looking down from the Madison summit. The Howks on my stretch were more wooded than they appear from the top, which would be a good thing in inclement weather. That top stretch, of course, would have better views and more exposure.

I took the Sylvan Way and then Brookbank (Gordon Fall) back to Appalachia, but if I'd had more time I'd have preferred the Kelton Crag/Dome Rock route - a little longer but more scenic.

I had a nice day and a daypack. Overall, I thought Howker Ridge was a somewhat longer but pleasant and relatively little-traveled alternate route to Madison.

there is a brook crossing / waterfall towards the lower section -- unfortunately I forget the name or exactly where it is :( -- and you should watch out for high water if there's been lots of recent rain.

Otherwise this is the route I took when I hiked to Madison last summer. (except for near the top when I took Pine Link -> Madison Hut instead) I enjoyed it a lot, very few crowds.

edit:
Double Bow said:
The only factor to keep in mind is that there is a good amount of exposure near the top so, in really nasty weather, I'd avoid it.
you could say that about nearly every trail on the Madison/Adams/Jefferson/Washington/Monroe. :p :D

Last edited:
arghman said:
there is a brook crossing / waterfall towards the lower section -- unfortunately I forget the name or exactly where it is :( -- and you should watch out for high water if there's been lots of recent rain.

[My only brook crossing was a little one just below Hitchcock Fall, not far before the Kelton Crag and Sylvan Way Trails head NW back to Appalachia. It was less significant than the Brookbank crossing below Gordon Fall. Perhaps you took Howker Ridge Tr. all the way to its own trailhead, a mile or so east of Appalachia?]

edit: you could say that about nearly every trail on the Madison/Adams/Jefferson/Washington/Monroe. :p :D

[True, but while the Osgood Trail down to the Hut from the Madison summit is certainly exposed, at that point you'd be able to take Valley Way in a storm, and that might result in a little less overall exposure than Howker Ridge.]

Last edited:
Hey Mike - think I already mentioned this - but its a nice trail, good footing, etc.. no slabs, etc.. be fine for going up or down. Doubt you will have any snow next week. Maybe some minor stuff if anything.

I would even think that since it comes up from the southeast/east side of the cone, it would have some shelter as you get higher (you kind of behind the cone, if I recall)

Have fun - it a really nice trail.

I enjoyed the Howker Ridge Trail when I hiked it in June for the presi traverse. I don't remember any problems with footing. The Howks tease you with some nice views. I would highly recommend this trail.

Sapblatt -- if you makes you feel any better, I took this trail on the descent after tagging Madison way back in 2000. I don't remember anything arduous about it at all, and that was only my second time in the Prezzies. If I can do it, surely you can do it!

I really enjoy Howker. It's certainly doable with a full pack. I did it as part of a 3 day backpack a couple of years ago. On decent if the visibility is poor keep an eye out as the markings aren't real noticible on the eay down. On the way up if it conditions are poor there is always the Osgood Ridge to pick up with better markings.

Go for it!