"I Like IKE hike"....and the Sun FINALLY shines!!! :))

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amstony

Reaction score
I was finally able to grab a day in the middle of the week, Tuesday, and head north to the Whites for some fun hiking. This vacation day actually coincided with the SUN actually shining in full glory. :) So hopefully my streak of zero visibility and rainy days in effect since last September is finally broken!! :p

I figured I would head up Eisenhower and use the Edmands Trail and Eisenhower Loop Trail to reach the summit. I had been on this trail in early June during Stevehikers hike and really liked the trail, but turned around at the bottom of the Ike Loop Trail when I couldn't see more than a foot or two in front of me. I figured I'd return on a finer day, that day arrived, and so it was off to hike Ike!

I arrived at the trailhead, opened the trunk and saw my camelback water bottle had sprung a major leak and of course all the water had leaked out. So I improvised...since I run allot, I keep a ready bag in my truck with running gear, couple of bottles of water, and waistpack that holds some gear and 2, 20 ounce water bottles for long distance runs. I dumped out my camelback, loaded very basic gear into my waist pack, filled both bottles with water, put in some GU powder, and off I went. Since I was hiking so "light", I was really able to hustle on this one, practically ran most of it.

Views were great and the trail had allot of hikers moving up it. Once you reached above treeline the wind picked up and dried all the sweat off my shirt and pants really fast! :eek:

Hike info:
Date- July 31, 2007.
Start time: 10:10 AM
Time to Eisenhower Summit- 88 minutes
Time on summit- 3 minutes.
Time from Summit back to trailhead: 56 minutes
Back at trailhead:12:37 PM
Distance covered- 6.6 miles
elevation gain: 2,750 feet.
Trail condition- excellent, watch for moss covered rocks on the descent, can be slippery. This is an awesome trail. :D

I may have started a new trend for myself, carrying the very basics and running the trails, but it is something I'd only do or recommend others do in the Whites, especially the Presi's, only if you have near perfect conditions like today, your starting early, and its good trail you familiar with.

Hopefully the Sun keeps shining! :)

Last edited:
amstony said:
...Time on summit- 3 minutes...

All that work for 3 minutes?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I usually spend 3 minutes just deciding where to sit. :)

Glad the weather was great for you. That peak is one of my faves.

Tony, We've been getting some great mid-week conditions lately - figures. :D Glad you were able to get sick and enjoy the day. Perhaps it was a vacation day. (Should have been a sick day!)

I heard your car needed a wash anyway. Most folks focus on the outside. :)

Nice job.

Earl

Very cool! I've been thinking about doing Eisenhower again and wanted to try the Edmands trail. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

What? No soggy sandwich?????? :eek: :eek:

When I did Eisenhower it was clear out. Then all of a sudden 10 mins before I got to the summit it was socked. I stayed for 20 mins hoping for it to clear before giving up and descending. When I got down to the col between Pierce and Eisenhower it was clear again! I know 2 others this happened to, so consider yourself lucky ;)

Holy cannoli! You went on a hike and it didn't rain? You actually got a view?? Yikes! What is this world coming to?

Nice to see you getting out. Trip reports like this make me miss New England. I do get to Central Park for my training runs to tackle the "hills" there, but it sure ain't like the mountains of northern New England! :D