iHikeGPS for iPhone and iPad

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All GPS enabled cellphones contain a GPS chip, but not all cellphone GPSes can operate independently of the cellphone network.
Really? Which ones? I can say definitively that all iPhones since the 3 are fully GPS capable and do not require a cellular network to acquire, use, and process GPS satellite data. The internet tubes suggest to me that all other smartphone manufacturers have embedded the same capabilities since about the beginning of 2011, but I hesitate to make the ALL claim myself since I don't know what I don't know. So if you have specific info, Doug, I'm sure folks following this thread (if there are any besides me...) would appreciate it.

The interwebs are also littered with functional comparisons of various Garmin units vs. various smartphones, and the summary conclusion is, "It depends what you want to use it for." Smartphones lack a large antenna and sophisticated processing software, both of which make a dedicated unit more accurate and less likely to lose signal. Just how MUCH more depends on the smartphone and the GPS software that is downloaded to the phone. There's also the battery issue.

If you want to use your GPS as Peakbagr has outlined above, a dedicated unit is still the way to go. On the other hand, if you're just using the GPS to occasionally spot check your location, a newish smartphone is almost certainly good enough - times to acquire signal are typically less than a minute, and accuracy is usually better than 30 meters - and smartphones possesses additional functionality that can be very useful.

And, I feel sort of silly adding this disclaimer, but just for the record, one would be well-advised to understand their individual unit's capabilities before relying on it. Actually, I'd advise against EVER truly relying on any GPS as one's sole means of navigation. There, I feel better now.

There's also the battery issue.
Less and less of an issue IMO. Try googling "PiggyBack Batteries for iPhone". Large array of supplemental Batteries. Also the ability to go into the Phone's software and moniter actual life and usages is a big advantage over a Garmin. Piggybacking coupled with solar recharging, digital convergence of devices and the ever continuing technology improvements will drive the market for the "GPS" smartphone. One only has to look at the advancements already made since the OP originally started this thread.

Really? Which ones? I can say definitively that all iPhones since the 3 are fully GPS capable and do not require a cellular network to acquire, use, and process GPS satellite data. The internet tubes suggest to me that all other smartphone manufacturers have embedded the same capabilities since about the beginning of 2011, but I hesitate to make the ALL claim myself since I don't know what I don't know. So if you have specific info, Doug, I'm sure folks following this thread (if there are any besides me...) would appreciate it.
I have seen reports of cellphones whose GPSes cannot operate without cell signals. These reports were several years ago and it is quite possible that all (or at least most) recent models have stand-alone capability.

Sorry, I do not track smartphone models so I cannot give any specific recommendations. I am more interested in the technology than the individual models. (I also don't own a smartphone.)

The interwebs are also littered with functional comparisons of various Garmin units vs. various smartphones, and the summary conclusion is, "It depends what you want to use it for." Smartphones lack a large antenna and sophisticated processing software, both of which make a dedicated unit more accurate and less likely to lose signal. Just how MUCH more depends on the smartphone and the GPS software that is downloaded to the phone. There's also the battery issue.

If you want to use your GPS as Peakbagr has outlined above, a dedicated unit is still the way to go. On the other hand, if you're just using the GPS to occasionally spot check your location, a newish smartphone is almost certainly good enough - times to acquire signal are typically less than a minute, and accuracy is usually better than 30 meters - and smartphones possesses additional functionality that can be very useful.
In my comparison of 60CSx and iPhone (4?) on a hike, I found a number of large excursions so while the average error might not have been too bad, it was pretty bad at certain points. My older Garmin GPSes used to do this under tree cover, but it is pretty rare on the 60CSx. A knowledgeable user can often spot these excursions by looking at the track.

I currently use a 60CSx and have a dumb cellphone which I treat as emergency gear when hiking (ie it rides in my pack, turned off). I also find the GPS to be very handy for navigating backcounty roads and finding trailheads. I don't generally need the GPS for navigation while trail hiking and mostly use it for recording a track and as an odometer. However, it probably made the difference between success and turning back on a through-the-night designated-wilderness area XC ski trip in the White Mtns. (Yes, I am fairly good with map, compass, and visual trail finding but that wasn't enough on this trip.) Naturally, the difficult navigation spots were encountered in the dark... (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?39621-Pemi-Ski-Loop-in-Less-than-30-Hours-))

Doug

Interesting thread.

With "cellular" and roaming set to off in settings, my iphone 5 will work with the Runkeeper app. Tracking routes are displayed exactly the same as when cell service is on. My phone will not work with Apple maps or Google maps with cellular off.

Are there other hiking apps that might be more accurate than Runkeeper? In one trial run up the OBP, Runkeeper came up short on both distance and elevation gain against the WMG. I would never use this an app for navigation, just for fun.

Thanks!

Interesting thread resurrection. I have a fairly recent smart phone, and the GPS apps still run the battery dry a lot quicker than the length of a hike. So, I usually keep the phone off, or asleep, and just check coordinates from time to time. I don't get a track log, but I get where I am going and back.

BTW, the stock price of Garmin, in rough terms, from the date of the first posting in this thread, was down, up, and back down to almost the same as 3 years ago.