Info on Cape Breton

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking into doing a 10-day trip up to Cape Breton in July and wonder if anyone has been there and can make any recommendations? I've been reading the Web sites, but info is rather limited. I'd especially like to know about hiking and camping in the area.

Thanks!

You've probably already seen this, but in case not, Parks Canada has a list of hikes in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

I haven't, but would like to, so will be interested in your future Trip Report.

As an aside and a bit of trivia, my grandmother was from Nova Scotia, and would refer to Cape Breton as "Cape Breton Over" and not with the highest regard. I would like to research that a little to know more about why that was.

Cpnp

I stayed in the Cape Bretton National Park (I think that is what it is called) campground for 3 days and hiked the trails from there. There is not much elevation gain in these trails but the scenery is clean and nice. The cobblestone beaches are great and so are the fishing villages. If you can, bring a kayak too or take a kayak tour to see the whales.

I biked around the Cabot Trail a few years ago, great way to explore that area!

I went with a company run tour, Freewheeling Adventures. They did a really great job, nice folks, and really fun trip. They have all sorts of different ways to explore the area, bike, hike, kayak etc...

If you check out any of the tour groups that cover Cape Breton you will get a lot of information on places to hike and links to various areas and campsites or B & Bs and such. Most of them will show you the level of diffoculty of various routes as well. Even if you go on your own they are a good source of information.

The Fortress of Louisbourg and the Alexander Graham Bell Museum are worth visiting as well, Bell was a character who did a lot more than telephones, and Louisbourg is fun for the reenactors and such.

Have a great time up there, lots to explore and see!

I spent a week there about a decade ago. We enjoyed camping at Meat Cove Camping (way up north, near the tip of the highlands district). Also, it isn't camping, but you shouldn't deprive yourself of a couple of nights staying at the Normaway.