Injured

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klutz

Reaction score
Not sure where this thread ought to go.

Okay, so I'm a total klutz :rolleyes: .....yesterday, at home I did this really freaky thing. As I'm jumping up from the couch into a semi-jump-run, I felt this "pop" in my right calf and sent me reeling. Not quite sure how this happened but now my leg is really sore and difficult to put any pressure on. Doesn't look bruised, yet. A little bit swollen, and my foot is a little cold, but then again my feet are always cold.

I did a similiar thing to my "other" leg about 6 years ago in a skiing accident, turned out to be a pulled muscle which required staying off it for a little while and physical therapy. Was better in about 3-4 weeks later.

Doc's not available at all today, can't get in until tomorrow. :( Stayed home today, cause I could, but I'm thinking I should try to go in tomorrow after the Doc appointment? Now the question is, is it the same thing? What should I do while waiting to get into see the Doc. This really put a crimp on things, while I'm right in the middle of a possible job interview with a company closer to home with more pay. I don't want to be gimping into an interview....any thoughts? :confused:

Any medical advice you get from strangers on the web is worth what you paid for it. There's no way anyone here is going to know what you did to yourself so any recommended treatments should be taken with several large doses of salt.

Having said that, I don't see how rest, ice, and ibuprofin would be a bad thing no matter what you've done to yourself. I think you'll just have to accept limping into the interview.

-dave-

This is NOT medical advice, but having some knowledge in the area, I'd suggest not stressing it too much till after it's evaluated. I am being vague here on purpose, 'cause I agree 100% with what Dave said, but "Pop" is not a good sound in any part of your body, and often means something important (muscle, tendon, ligament, bone) is no longer 100% intact, and you don't want to worsen whatever it is. Rest, ice, elevate, see doc.

David Metsky said:
Any medical advice you get from strangers on the web is worth what you paid for it. There's no way anyone here is going to know what you did to yourself so any recommended treatments should be taken with several large doses of salt.

Having said that, I don't see how rest, ice, and ibuprofin would be a bad thing no matter what you've done to yourself. I think you'll just have to accept limping into the interview.

-dave-
Oh, I know, just didn't know if anything like this has happened to anyone else and might have an idea what it could possibly be......

Got an appt tomorrow with the Doc, so hopefully I'll find out if it's just a bad sprain and need some PT with it.

As far as the interview goes, hopefully by the time I get the interview, maybe next week, the limp won't be too bad.

I was running up kearsarge 3 summers ago and I felt a pain in my calf and heard a 'pop'. Tore my calf muscle. climbed down on my butt. month on crutches. If you can still walk its probably not so bad. I agree with Dave though, best go see your doctor.

David Metsky said:
Having said that, I don't see how rest, ice, and ibuprofin would be a bad thing no matter what you've done to yourself.

Au contraire, mon frere! It may be possible that the patient requires immediate surgery, possibly with the "saw" portion of a Swiss Army knife, using techniques perfected during Sherman's March to the Sea. Also, the regular blade could be used, Aron Ralston-style. But "rest, ice, and ibuprofin" might have disastrous results! As MY doctor always says, "Suture self!"

See? There's all kinds of good advice on this board!

--M. said:
Au contraire, mon frere! It may be possible that the patient requires immediate surgery, possibly with the "saw" portion of a Swiss Army knife, using techniques perfected during Sherman's March to the Sea. Also, the regular blade could be used, Aron Ralston-style. But "rest, ice, and ibuprofin" might have disastrous results! As MY doctor always says, "Suture self!"

See? There's all kinds of good advice on this board!

Yeah, that's the kind of advice I'm really looking for.....actually I thought just shooting self in head would just put me out of my misery.

Should've seen the dog, right after I did it, I was painfully limping/hopping to sit down, stupid dog thought I was playing and started to get all excited that it was "play time", went for her squeekly toy, started making all kinds of "fun" noises with the stupid thing, thinking oh boy momma's gonna "play" now! :rolleyes: Silly dog!

OMG! I just got a call from the Head Hunter that's setting this whole interview thing up.....the guy that's supposed to interview me hurt himself as well.....strained his back....is this karma or what? Not sure as to take this as a good sign or bad....:eek:

I could've sworn I once saw a back country amputation kit on line, but I can't find it now. Perhaps, in the home, it would be best to use power tools to get the smoothest edge. Do you have a jigsaw?

(good luck with your interview!)

Dugan said:
I could've sworn I once saw a back country amputation kit on line, but I can't find it now. Perhaps, in the home, it would be best to use power tools to get the smoothest edge. Do you have a jigsaw?

(good luck with your interview!)

Hey, that just might work! My husband does....Has a jigsaw that is. Don't give him any ideas. :eek:

Well Doc says it's just a sprain and should heal 7-10 days, guess the RICE really works! Said I was doing all the right things. Should probably start making little circles with the foot/ankle and a little streching, but not much, just to keep circulation going. Don't overdo it...could take another day off, but....probably not. Don't want to milk it too much.

Just had my annual physical exam last week, whereby I listed all of my nagging ailments, to which my PCP replied "looks like your body is fighting back against all of your outdoor activities, and your body is losing."