Interesting to Me . . . But to Others, Maybe Not So Much (12-Feb-2010)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
This brief trip report is one that I was undecided about posting, not because of anything controversial, but just because of uncertainty about whether anyone would find it of interest, other than me!

Anyway, what I found of interest is the view of Mt. Isolation shown in the snapshot below. It was taken from a ledge on Rocky Branch Ridge. There is nothing spectacular about the photo itself. However, I thought the perspective on Isolation was somewhat unique, and so I opted to share it. The photo is zoomed, but the end result is about what could be seen with the naked eye.

The summit of Isolation is the very small white patch that is near the top (slightly left of center) portion of the photo. It's to the left of Ike, and to the right of a large snow covered ledge on a ridge coming off the east side of Isolation. And, speaking of that large ledge on the east side of Isolation, I've never been to that spot and would love to see photos that anyone has taken from there!

P1040025.JPG

The ledge from which the above photo was taken is situated at about 3,365 ft. It was accessed by leaving the Rocky Branch Trail just slightly west of the boundary for the Presidential Range Dry River Wilderness, and then bushwhacking about 0.3 mile northward through open woods consisting mainly of birch. And to give due credits, this trek was recommended to me by Steve Smith, and I was accompanied on the hike by Zman.

1HappyHiker

Interesting Hikes ..

I for one, always like to hike where the perspective is a bit different and the views not common ones. Keep up the interesting hikes and pics ...

thx

:D

These things hold my interest too. I'd love to be able to be more of an explorer! Always excited when I can do something that's even a little different, such as the side ridge to the right on the South Moat climb.

And, speaking of that large ledge on the east side of Isolation, I've never been to that spot and would love to see photos that anyone has taken from there!

P1040025.JPG

I think that big snowy ledge looks pretty interesting too. If anybody's going to ever get a picture of it I'm thinking it's you. I'm looking forward to your report! :D

Nice! Keep these interesting reports coming, John - you have many fans here!

Now, that looks like a great ledge up there near Isolation's summit! The only question is... how the heck am I going to keep track of all these great places you find to explore? :eek: :)

Trish; Pete; Ellen; Tom: Thank you! It's great to hear that you enjoy an occasional bushwhack report to some "wacky" location!:D

Jazzbo: Ray, I might go to that big snowy ledge someday, but it will come as no surprise that Steve Smith has already been there!;)

NeoAkela: Chris, thanks for your most generous comments. You come up with some pretty darn interesting adventures of your own!:cool:
As I indicated in my original posting, I cannot take credit for finding this particular ledge. Credit for that goes to Steve!

This brief trip report is one that I was undecided about posting, not because of anything controversial, but just because of uncertainty about whether anyone would find it of interest, other than me!

John, no worries, your stuff is always cool. In general I find websites like this to be like talk radio for this reason: In talk radio, maybe 1% (little less, little more?) actually call in. But lots of people listen. They must, otherwise the stations would be inflicting Kenny G on us. Similar thing here. Most posts don't get a bunch of replies, but there are lots of people reading them. No doubt some interest in almost every thread. That's in general, but in particular your threads are always fresh and worth it.

Off topic: Drove through your town last fall and saw a sign: "Highest town east of the Rockies". For real?!?! That's pretty cool.

Bobandgeri; jjo; BobC: Thank you for taking a moment to reply . . . very much appreciated!

Billy: WOW! Thank you for your very kind words!

And, regarding your question as to whether it's true that Bethlehem is indeed the "Highest town east of the Rockies" . . . all I can say is that in the past I've done some research about that statement, and I was unable to find anything to refute the claim. So, maybe it is!
I do know that leaving town involves going downhill, and that getting here involves going uphill!:D

Last edited: