internal verses external backpacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which kind of backpack frame do you use?

• internal

Votes: 64 83.1%
  • external

Votes: 13 16.9%

• Total voters

kmac

Reaction score
I have been thinking of investing in a external frame backpack that I will use for week long backpacking trips. I have never used one and would like some "expert" opinions before I make the purchase. Also, I think it would be interesting to know how many people use the external verses internal framepacks.
kmac

Last edited:
Internal, although I have a couple externals that I have used. I'm not sure if I was going to do a long trip with plenty of weight that I wouldn't think about using external. These days, however, my trips max at two nights, so what I'm using (internal) works fine.

You may wish to consider adding "both" to your poll and get feedback on why a hiker may do such.

Pete_Hickey said:
I have an external and an internal. I use the external when I have a lot to carry. Most of the time, I use my internal, but if I have to carry over 60 pounds, it's external for sure.

Yep. I have several internals and one external. I use the external exclusively for winter camping with big loads. I especially like the fact that I can lash the external to a sled in such a way that I can pick it up, sled and all, place it on my back if I need to carry through a place that I can't safetly or effectively slide it. :D

Rest of the time spring,summer,fall I try to keep my weights down so I am using fairly small internal packs.

Keith

I have a few of both, but in the summer I prefer the external if I’m carrying over 30 pounds. I picked up an ultralight internal pack for much lighter loads.

I did a test last year when I started section hiking the AT and wanted to take the most comfortable pack. I took 40 pounds of gear and 3 packs to Acadia for a weekend (I have 13 packs, but narrowed the list down to those 3). I was also trying out different tents and gear, but that was on a different day. I loaded an internal up and went on a 4 mile hike, coming back to my car, where I took all the stuff out and put it in the other internal. Then I did the same loop trail and came back to the car, loaded the external and headed back out again. I was amazed at the external pack as it carried the weight so much easier than either of the internals. Even my older brother was amazed at the difference, he said if he hadn’t watched me move the gear he’d have sworn I left some out. Two more bonuses are that it’s much cooler on your back in the summer and you can dry clothing from it easily.

I ripped mine bad falling down Bemis Mountain, and while the repair may hold, I picked up a REI Wonderland for $20 at IME for this summer. The externals are a tad heavier, but carry so much better I doubt you’ll notice. If you were closer I’d loan you a few to try.

I didn't vote because a vote for one seemed like a vote against the other.

I had a couple of Externals and I have a few Internals. I just ended up selling one of my Externals a few weeks ago on Ebay as I was cleaning up a bit.

Like most on this board, when I started backpacking, there was only one style of backpack out there. I still keep my old external ('72 Camp Trails Lake Cruiser) for nostalgic purposes, I did buy a couple in the early 90's to start using again. I bought a Camp Trail Freighter Frame to which I attached a McKinley packbag, and then also purchased an External Frame Camp Trails Wilderness. They were great for hauling trash out of my old adopted lean-to's or for trail work weekends.

Everytime I put one on though and go out for a spin I am reminded that:
1. They squeak
2. The frame will move around independent of you if you bend to one side or the other, since the shoulder pads do not "wrap" over your shoulder as an Internal does.
3. They can be awkward if you have become very accustomed to a close fitting pack that moves with you
4. They really squeak
5. You can't just toss them into a pickup truck bed when thumbing a ride back to your car, without fear of scrathcing the truck (don't ask how I know)
6. They have too many pockets and I can never remember where I put everything.

What I like is that they are:
1. inexpensive
2. They have lots of pockets (If you can remember where you put stuff)
3. You can lean them against anything when they are empty and take a nice nap.
4. They really do outperform when it comes to carrying heavy loads
5. Your fishing rod is a bit more protected.
6. The spreader bars keep the top of the pack open when loading or unloading.
7. You can lean the pack against a tree and step up on the bars to get a leg up when climbing up into a tree (caution don't try this with the newer nylon/polymer framed packs).
8. They remind me of younger days.

external frame gets my vote, rides way better than an internal on me. I've not found any balance problems with having the higher center of gravity with an external. The only time I use an internal frame is when my stuff weighs in at 25 lbs or less.

I didn't vote for either, because I use both depending on the hike.

If I'm doing a peakbagging trip (or one of my more relaxing trips: hike in, take a nap, go swimming, do a dayhike around the lake, sleep, eat, sleep wake up do it again...) I'll use my internal frame, usually my GVP (now Gossamer Gear) G-4.

If I'm bringing in my climbing equipment I use my old external frame pack for the main load carrying in to basecamp and use my EMS 2500 for the dayhiking needs, i.e. carrying food/water/rope/etc.

My very first overnight pack was a handmedown external frame from my father. I now believe soley in internal frames. Since I am lightweight, consider me what you will ;) , I would never need a external no matter what. My biggest pack is an older Palisade and at over 5500 Cu In I could easily pack two weeks of stuff in it and there is plenty of loops on the outside to lash whatever else I need and it would still be comfortable. Just personal preference really. :) I am actually suprised at all the votes for external as I don't see many on the trails.

For me this is an extension of the Going Light debate. If you embrace going lighter, there is no need for external frame packs. If you're married to the weight, there is nothing like an external frame pack. Someone mentioned over 30 they go with external, I'd argue that in the warmer seasons, there's no reason to exceed 30 lbs....but again, that just brings us back to the Weight Debate.

To each his/her own...just enjoy your time out of doors!

I go with internal frame packs for all uses, all seasons. For weeklong backpacking trips (45lb load), I use the same internal frame Lowe Alpine pack I've been using for the past 12 years. I enjoy the better balance that internals offer me, the more natural range of motion, and the ability to turn my head any which way without banging it on the frame!

In general, I find that they fit better and are much more comfortable. Newer models are constructed in a way that leaves a space between the pack and your back to help keep you cooler. My current day pack has this feature and it works quite well. Also, many newer packs bristle with pockets so that's no longer and point of comparison.

IMHO, there are many more advantages to internals than there are to externals.

Cant haul a speaker or generator to the top of Monadnock for the dancers with an internal frame pack. For any type of "freight hauling" or for bulky loads, an external is the only way to fly.

Both, but I voted "internal" because I haven't done too many long trips recently. Also I find the internal more forgiving when on skis.

So does that mean I have to go with boxer-briefs? :D

I like the comfort offered by an internal pack. Many of us give reasons why and I echo the comfort and number of pockets as found on an external. I have hiked with external and feel the extra weight found in them, e.g. frame and material. With my Granite Gear Vapor Trail, a framless pack offers many comforts. Since I've been hiking with some of my neighbors on VFTT they have convinced to select a light pack such as the Granite Gear ;)
Being a comfort addict the internal frame, hugs body and is cooler in the summer. I also add Double Bow's comments on the joys of internal frames: I enjoy the better balance that internals offer me, the more natural range of motion, and the ability to turn my head any which way without banging it on the frame! In the end I find it's a matter of where you're going hiking and preference. I hope my advice Kmac helps.

I've used a huge Marmott internal for 20 years. Last month I found a Kelty external at the recycling center and it seems to fit and feel better, definitely better ventilation. I'm going to load it up with 30 lbs and climb something local this weekend and see how it feels. I'll vote then.

I have almost always used internal frame backs. For a few trips I used an external and I hated it. I found that it rode too high and was too top heavy- putting more strain on my upper body. It also compromised my balance. And it "squeaked". :eek:

woodstrider said:
... For a few trips I used an external and I hated it. I found that it rode too high and was too top heavy- putting more strain on my upper body. .....
Interesting. I find the external puts NO strain on my upper body or back. My hips/legs take it all.

When we re-installed the cables on Gothics:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/trailwork/Gothics/cables.html

It didn't ride high, but was very heavy. Quite stable.

With this thing filled with beer and food:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/petepack1.jpg

I had to be a little careful with its balance, but it still put no strain on back/upper body.

Thanks everyone for your responses : ) I guess the only thing I wonder about is why the designer's of the packs didn't create some place to hold your water bottle, when water is so important to have when backpacking.
kmac