Is the best way from 112 to Hancock loop by skiing?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brambor

Reaction score
Planning to do the Hancock loop from 112. Seeing that the grade seems to be moderate for most of the way, would the most efficient way to go be by BC skiing and then ditching the skis when the trail gets steep ?

I have never done the Hancocks so I'm not sure of this. There seem to be 3 water crossings ...

Thanks for any advice.

I've skied in to just below the junction and set up camp. We then skied to the old Pemi bridge at the Wilderness trail and came back out again. The stretch you are speaking of is very easy, and quick.

After this Rain today and tomorrow and then a freeze after that I would be waiting for some freshness. But your a skier "potato" so you already know that.

would you ski it this weekend (sunday)? There is something in the forecast this Sunday. Maybe I should bring ice skates. Yours truly, Mr.Potato :)

I skied it the Saturday before last and ditched the skis at the Hancock Notch/Cedar Brook Jct. You don't save any time on the way in (have to take the skis off a couple times for water crossings/deep climbs/descents) and only save marginal time on the way out for the same reasons but the skiing is so much more fun than snowshoeing (to me). I don't like the Cedar Brook Trail to ski on (and I have up to the next junction for the Hancock Loop) because it's pretty overgrown and sketchy/steep in spots, requiring me to take off the skis too many times.... But, it's fun to try!!!! There would have to be a LOT of snow to ski the Cedar Brook Trail fully and have fun :)

There was decent snow on the Hancock Notch Trail when I did it. I think it might be a little icy with the coming rain/freeze event coming.

Last edited:
I skied it the Saturday before last and ditched the skis at the Hancock Notch/Cedar Brook Jct. You don't save any time on the way in (have to take the skis off a couple times for water crossings/deep climbs/descents) and only save marginal time on the way out for the same reasons but the skiing is so much more fun than snowshoeing (to me). I don't like the Cedar Brook Trail to ski on (and I have up to the next junction for the Hancock Loop) because it's pretty overgrown and sketchy/steep in spots, requiring me to take off the skis too many times.... But, it's fun to try!!!! There would have to be a LOT of snow to ski the Cedar Brook Trail fully and have fun :)
I have skied it all the way down to the East Side Road--it was a pleasant intermediate ski. Skins are useful on the ascent up to the height-of-land on the CBT--I have done it without but with is a good bit easier. I last did it before Irene and don't know what trail conditions are like these days.

There was decent snow on the Hancock Notch Trail when I did it. I think it might be a little icy with the coming rain/freeze event coming.
Agreed on the coming conditions. I'd leave the skis home unless there is some new snow.

Doug

What a pleasant topic!

I skied up to the Hancock Loop a few years back and it was magnificent! Snow and weather conditions were perfect (which is rare) and I used skinny (read 'edgeless') skis and had no difficulty, and I'm not a black-diamond free-heel skier, so any reasonable skier could do it.

I then switched to snowshoes and climbed up about a third of the ascent to the south peak before deciding to go watch the Patriots beat the Chargers in the AFC playoffs (name the date!).

I'd love to do the ski again and follow out to the East Side Trail..., maybe someday. I hope you enjoy it!

I skied up to the Hancock Loop a few years back and it was magnificent! Snow and weather conditions were perfect (which is rare) and I used skinny (read 'edgeless') skis and had no difficulty, and I'm not a black-diamond free-heel skier, so any reasonable skier could do it.
I'm not a great skier either and have "survived" it multiple times... :) You also get ~1000 ft of "free" downhill (courtesy of a 5 mi car spot). While I used edged skies, the edges were not needed--any decent pair of BC skis should do.

I'd love to do the ski again and follow out to the East Side Trail..., maybe someday. I hope you enjoy it!
The route is described in Goodman's guidebook.

Doug

I hiked the Hancocks on Tuesday afternoon and was probably one of the last people out there before the warm weather hit. As Becca said, it is probably way more fun on skis but I would bet that all dozen of the crossings are now open and the skis would be on and off.

I may even pick a different place to hike on sunday. It would be too bad to ruin a good future trip when the snow levels are optimal. Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated.

hmm. We may be getting some snow on the trails by Sunday. Anyone venture to guess what the total accumulation will be in the vicinity of the Kangamagus hwy?

I hate to say this, but, some of the XC ski routes in the Pemi area are a bit outdated in Goodman's Book. I've hiked Cedar Brook both before and after Irene and you need a LOT of snow to have the swamps skiable near the height of land!!!! (that's past the Hancock Notch loop, tho, and, even the southern end is TOUGH with the usual full-metal edges!)

I hate to say this, but, some of the XC ski routes in the Pemi area are a bit outdated in Goodman's Book. I've hiked Cedar Brook both before and after Irene and you need a LOT of snow to have the swamps skiable near the height of land!!!! (that's past the Hancock Notch loop, tho, and, even the southern end is TOUGH with the usual full-metal edges!)
Goodman's last edition was copyright 2010 so it isn't too old, but of course Irene has been by since then.

I've skied it at least three times (all before 2007) and never had any problem with the swamps. The skiing didn't present any undue difficulties except for short sections or stream crossings which were easily walked. I also don't recall any need for a particularly deep snow pack (but I also don't remember how deep the pack was when I was there).

I've done the climb above the junction with the Hancock Loop Tr (near the S end of the CBT) both without and with skins. It was doable either way, but significantly easier with. (Don't think I'd like to ski down this section...) I don't recall any particular need for edges, although that would depend on the snow conditions.

I summer hiked it once, but that was after skiing it--I had some difficulty finding where the summer trail went at the height of land. (In winter, I just turned ~45 degrees to the right at the height of land, passed a plastic wilderness boundary marker, and popped out on the trail after a short distance (50 yds?). The trail was pretty obvious once you popped out onto it. The summer trail was somewhere off to the left.)

Anyhow to address the OP's question, the XC ski on the Hancock Notch Tr from the Kanc Hwy to the junction with the CBT is generally pretty easy--most of this section of the HNT is an old railway bed. One should also be able to ski to the junction with the Hancock Loop Tr without too much difficulty. There may be a short difficult spot or two, but they are easily walked. (And remember to go right up the embankment where the old HNT roadbed goes into the stream...)

Doug