Is this a Cormorant?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAR-EMT40

Reaction score
It is a diving bird. I saw him go under for a very long time. Actually never saw him come back up. I know someone here will know for sure.

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg
IMG_0519.jpg
IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg
IMG_0525.jpg

Thanks,
Keith

Though not a bird person, I think it is. They frequently come inland. I have seen them on Squam, and once saw one sitting on a raft just like this on Connor Pond in the Ossipee Range.
I think this is an older one, perhaps beginning to prepare to die. Usually when they are above water, they are hanging their wings to dry. Also, their beak is not hanging open.

I think its a juvenile - they have the white bellies. Adults are almost entirely dark brown/black. I'm not an expert either but I have seen many cormorants around the boat over the last 20 years.

Tim

Yellow chin pouch, white throat strap, white underbelly....

Looks to be a juvie Great Cormorant shamelessly begging for food.

Breeze

I agree: cormorant.

There is a huge colony on Little Galloo Island in eastern Lake Ontario, near Henderson Harbor. These are reportedly Double-crested Cormorants, which may not have been native to the lake, but colonized (from Canada) after the impact of pesticides was reduced in the 1980s-1990s. Controversy exists as to their impact on game fishing (smallmouth bass) and in 1998 wildlife biologists discovered that somebody has "visited" the island and illegally shot a large number of nesting adults.

Being a Watertown native and having been on the lake, I would love to sail (or kayak) out there and see the colony - but from the water, and UPWIND !!

MR

Where did you see this guy? I agree that it is a Great cormorant. They are most common in the winter on the New England coast. Right now the Double Crested Cormorants are migrating through. One is more apt to see the DCs inland on lakes. But then again during migration no rules apply.

Puck said:
Where did you see this guy? I agree that it is a Great cormorant. They are most common in the winter on the New England coast. Right now the Double Crested Cormorants are migrating through. One is more apt to see the DCs inland on lakes. But then again during migration no rules apply.
Sorry to hijack, but speaking of migrations, what's up with the hawk migration?

Puck said:

He was on Danforth Bay in Freedom, NH which is near Lake Ossipee. I originally saw him drying his wings and foolishly thought that it was a blue heron. I realized my mistake pretty quickly but really didn't know what he was. After some research on the net I thought that he might be a juvenile Cormorant but certainly didn't know which one. I also noted that he had strongly webbed feet. When he finally got in the water he sits very low and he is a diving bird for sure. Saw him do it.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
He was on Danforth Bay in Freedom, NH which is near Lake Ossipee. I originally saw him drying his wings and foolishly thought that it was a blue heron. I realized my mistake pretty quickly but really didn't know what he was. After some research on the net I thought that he might be a juvenile Cormorant but certainly didn't know which one. I also noted that he had strongly webbed feet. When he finally got in the water he sits very low and he is a diving bird for sure. Saw him do it.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Keith
Drying the wings is a tip off for Comorants. I've heard they have less oil in their feathers than most water fowl so their wings get wet. (You've heard OTOH how water "rolls off a duck's back"). So, the story goes, if they don't dry their feathers off, they would lose buoyancy and drown. You often see them perched on rocks or pilings with their wings outstretched.

Swimming low in the water is another trait (perhaps due to wet, non-buoyant feathers??). Their cousin, the Anhinga (found in Florida) swims practically under the surface with just their neck and head above.

Cool birds. Somehow they make me think of pterodactyls.

Last edited:
A bit more cormorant arcana for the pile -- they have been used in Japan for fishing for a long time. The bird is let loose into the water with a thin rope loop around its neck. The rope prevents the bird from passing the fish to its stomach. The bird is brought back up to the surface, the human forces the bird to regurgitate the fish, and the bird goes back down for more. Youtube video of cormorant fishing

Tom Rankin said:
Sorry to hijack, but speaking of migrations, what's up with the hawk migration?

Septemeber the broadwings move through our area in 'kettles' swirling up the thermals and then gliding. They are hard to see in a blue sky. What is needed are a few culumlus clouds for countrast. Harriers, redshoulder and redtails are active now with thier numbers increasing.

The best time is the day after a coldfront passes through. Just think of hiking up to your viewing area, chill in the air, thermos of coffee, to spend a great after noon watching hawks.

Why am I torturing myself with this reverie? My timer is going off in the lab.

sardog1 said:
A bit more cormorant arcana for the pile -- they have been used in Japan for fishing for a long time. The bird is let loose into the water with a thin rope loop around its neck. The rope prevents the bird from passing the fish to its stomach. The bird is brought back up to the surface, the human forces the bird to regurgitate the fish, and the bird goes back down for more. Youtube video of cormorant fishing

I was just telling my wife about people "fishing" with cormorants. I remember seeing NG or Wild Kingdom or some show like that showing it being done when I was a kid. I told my wife that there has to be a video on youtube showing it. Thanks for finding it for me sardog.

Keith