It's hot out! Do u still go hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giggy said:
yep - lose the shirt - drink water,

when in the army - used to train in alabama in the summer (107 - 90% humidity ) was the norm in july/august -

the northeast doesn't even come close on its hottest days.

I remember those days. Good old Fort Mclellan, Alabama the most humid place I've ever been to. When I think back to those days, a good hike in New England during the summer no matter how hot/humid seems pretty tame.

I normally hike into early June then stop until the second week of Septemeber. Spring hiking is just fine but I still love my fall hiking the best. :)

giggy said:
used to train in alabama in the summer (107 - 90% humidity ) was the norm in july/august - the northeast doesn't even come close on its hottest days.

A common misconception. This web site,

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wheat7.htm

lists Alabama's all time high as 112, New York as 108, New Jersey 110, Pennsylvania 111, (and interestingly, Minnesota is 114, and Florida is 109).

I will grant that the South stays hotter longer, but the temps in the summer on a large part of the North American continent are pretty much the same.

The 107 degree "normal" Alabama high was obviously an exaggeration (or the effect of fried brain cells.

However, average summertime temperatures differ significantly over North america, as I think most people are very aware. Anomalous extremes are not germane. NOA reports the average July temperature in Montgomery and Mobile Alabama are 81.8 and 81.5 respectively; for Boston, 73.9. That's a big difference.

Bjarni said:
NOA reports the average July temperature in Montgomery and Mobile Alabama are 81.8 and 81.5 respectively; for Boston, 73.9.
Mobile and Boston are both coastal, Montgomery is inland. Sea water temps north of Cape Cod tend to be rather cold.

Never been in Alabama, but towns as little as 10 mi inland from Boston often have noticably different weather.

In any case, I don't hike in average temps--I hike in the temps present on the hiking day and location. Hot and humid is uncomfortable, but I slow down and drink more as is appropriate. Also add electrolytes to my water.

Hot and dry has its problems too--I've desert hiked at 113F. Not much shade, either.

Doug

Last edited:
Bjarni said:
The 107 degree "normal" Alabama high was obviously an exaggeration (or the effect of fried brain cells.

- well maybe - I didn't have my weather almanac handy while replying - for the the years 1991-1992 - but lets just say I remember on more than one occasion temperature clocks flashing in the 100's. I do recall - in the dead of summer -many days going triple digits.

but who cares - this has nothing to to with this thread - my point was I do enjoy hiking on hot and humid days.

I assure you my brain cells are fine.

In defense of Giggy, and respectfully disagreeing with Tom ..., I visit friends in the NH mountains a few times every summer. They think anything above 82F is "oppressive," even when the humidty is relatively low. That makes me laugh! As aforementioned, it's gotta be 92F+ with HIGH humidty before we down here even consider it "hot." :D :D :D

Last edited:
When the snow leaves the trails,so do we. Hey it's kayakin' season then! Time for the Maine Island Trail.
Kayak camping-my "backpack" now floats-real food!cold beer!cool ocean breeze!

I love hot weather. I wear as little as modestly possible, drink plenty and dunk my head at every available stream. That helps a huge amount to keep me cool. Love it!

My concession to the high heat is making my post-hike ice cream a large instead of a medium. Of course I have to eat it faster because it melts quicker.

Kinda curious what everyone considers a lot of water or is there some formula? On hot days I'll generally drink four liters or so but I've also been told I drink a lot.

I really don't like the heat and generally limit my hiking to October through April, but not having been in the woods since last October, I decided to go up Ashokan High Point on 6/8. It was hot and humid, and there were zillions of flying things, but there was larger wildlife, too - a wild turkey mama with brood and a fawn - so it was worth it. Would I do it again? Yeah. But sufficient water is critical - and you'll need more than you usually take (I carried 2.5 litres and I could have used another half litre or so). I add an electrolyte replacement to my water (Hydralyte, used to be called Gookinaid) and that, too, is critical, to keep your muscles functioning properly, but any source is ok, as long as you're replacing potassium and magnesium along with the salt.

Last edited:
Doesnt matter to me. Hot or cold...Ill hike in any of it:) I learned a valuable lesson though while doing the Santanoni Range on a 95+ degree day (and HUMMMID)...Drink lots of water (and Gatorade)! Got VERY dehydrated and suffered for a while (few days) afterward. I bring 5 liters minimum on 10 mile day trips...

I tend to slow down on the amount of times I head out after Memorial day, picking up again at the end of July, though the week after labor day is when I really start up again. I bought a kayak last year as something to do aside from biking when stuck in the city in the summer so now after Labor Day kayaking competes with backpacking until the water goes cold.

It's really the humidity and bugs that gets to me, though I like the way lighter pack.

Is it really a good idea to drink a lot of water when it's miserably hot? Isn't that how that woman died during the Boston marathon a couple years ago?

We skipped out of the Adirondacks back in August 2001 because it was so hot. One hike, then we went to Maine, but it wasn't any cooler there.

As far as staying safely hydrated........I will be doing 17+ miles on the M-M Trail in NH tomorrow and will bring along my 100 oz bladder of water and two Nalgene bottles with 'Emergen C'. Sadly, the woman in the Boston Marathon flushed her body of necessary potassium and sodium by drinking water only. Ironically, she was doing a report of very strenuous exercise and its affects on the body as a school project.

There was a thread a while back about additives for good and proper hydration that I found very informative....Gatorade is one but I like to go with a more natural approach and not pay for the 'name'......Emergen C comes in little packets and supplies the drinker with potassium, sodium and a fizzy TASTE!

Whatever you do this weekend, stay hydrated and make sure you nibble if you feel it's too hot to eat a meal........oh yea, and have fun!
...Jade