It's not funny

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t see that description in the Mike Morse post excerpted by Ed’n Lauky, and I missed the Trail Conditions missive that was deleted, but I’ll take your word that it was there.

Don't take my word - Google has it in the cache:

http://www.google.com/#q="9+People+...the+slide"&hl=en&filter=0&fp=aa0e561cd8821793

Click on the second entry's "Cached" link (from www.vftt.org - works for me, the first link, from vftt.org may or may not work for you - it does not work for me)

Who was(is) Robohiker? Must pre-date me...

Tim

Last edited:
Now that I see the name Robohiker, I retract my earlier comment: I DO think it's funny... and those of you who rely on such information and get scared when it doesn't work out are still morons.
How would the 'average' reader know who RoboHiker is?

Now that I see the name Robohiker, I retract my earlier comment:

I DO think it's funny...
and those of you who rely on such information and get scared when it doesn't work out are still morons.

Or beginners / less-experienced, or unaware of who "Robohiker" is (as I am unaware myself). Moron seems a bit harsh to apply so widely.

Tim

I may be old school but we hiked most of the 100 highest before there were even trip reports or trail conditions. Wonder how we ever survived. Wonder how Lewis & Clark managed. Wonder how Shakleton ever made it out of England. Wonder how ...

Friends, what we're doing is not exactly miscroscopic rocket driven brain surgery. :) A big part of the joy I take is in laying out and following a route that, for any of a variety of reasons, is most appropriate for me and for those who may be accompanying me ... and whatever anyone else has to say about it is usually a small part of a larger research and plan. In this way there is a kinship I feel with the land and those who went before ... and no matter where you go others have already been there ... well, almost but that's the real topic of trip reports ... there is a connection that, IMNSHO, exceeds by far the mere satisfaction of checking off another landmark.

Still, I sometimes do check TRs, TCs and pertinent threads as part of a due diligence, especially when conditions are expected to be marginal or when I'm leading others. If the reports have proven to be a problem, maybe postings should be limited to members.

All of my trip reports are made up. Buyer beware.

I think this whole thing is hysterical.

Friends, what we're doing is not exactly miscroscopic rocket driven brain surgery. :) A big part of the joy I take is in laying out and following a route that, for any of a variety of reasons, is most appropriate for me and for those who may be accompanying me ...

Still, I sometimes do check TRs, TCs and pertinent threads as part of a due diligence, especially when conditions are expected to be marginal or when I'm leading others.

Exactly.

As an aside, reading through this thread I can't help thinking of posts that specifically criticized Scott Mason, not for planning an ambitious trip, but for not knowing enough about his bailout route.

No, I don't think a trip or trail conditions report should be anyone's first or last stop, but I can think of a lot of legitimate situations where a misleading or bogus report could be very problematic, or possibly help someone get into a bad situation.

Not saying there's enough of a problem that the mods need to "fix" anything, I think they're doing a great job of maintaining this forum. But I am glad they're screening for this kind of bs, because I don't think it's funny or all that clever.

spencer, thank you for proving my point.

Mod Note
I think this thread has run its course. Bottom line, we like it if people only give factual trail conditions reports but we have no way of enforcing it. With obvious examples we will remove them, but that's no guarantee that incorrect reports will be posted. It would be unwise to rely on a trip report being accurate, or to make important decisions based on one without independent verification.

We now return to regular programming.

-dave-

Status
Not open for further replies.